Chris

Lindleymoor Yard

Evening all,

Well, here I go, once again with another layout topic. I do apologize to fellow members for this :$

Hollybank Yard is my new layout. Its OO gauge, and modern day set. The layout is just three sidings for locos to stable whilst they await there next turn of duty. The sidings was once a fueling point for locos but, less and less locos would visit the site and in the end it had to close. The fueling point was demolished but the tracks left in place. As soon as EWS took over the freight duties locos have slowly started to appear at the sidings. All kinds of locos visit such as failed locos awaiting a tow to the depot, sometimes charter locos may stop for a little rest, but usually its the big locos like class 66s and 60s that stable either for the night, day, or weekend. A little bit of history about the layout ;)

The layout still very much needs plenty of work to be done to it before its completed. Lots of trees, bushes, shrubs and flowers are yet to be purchased and placed all over the place to hopefully create that overgrown, unloved setting. The layout will be operated by DCC and I will, hopefully, make full use of Sound and lights.

The layout doesn't consist of lots of buildings, but, does have one little building. That building is the Yard workers office as they change the points and help locate locos onto the three sidings. They are also there to help with charter workings and failed locos as these locos (I think) would need checking before continuing on the mainline. No wagons are allowed in the sidings as they are too small, so locos only. There is, also, a little road that travels along the back of the layout. The road leads to a Network Rail compound, its also littered with pallets and old oil drums at the side of it.

I have taken a few photos of the layout, and I apologize about both the quality and lighting.

The first photo is of the left hand side of the layout, where the buffers are: (excuse the half built buffer)

p1040485f.jpg

The second photo is of the middle of the layout:

p1040484f.jpg

The third photo is of the right hand side of the layout:

p1040486w.jpg

The forth photo is of LoadHaul 60070 preparing to leave the sidings:

p1040487m.jpg

I apologize for the blobs of glue that can be spotted in the photos.

Hopefully, more tomorrow!

All the best,

George

Oh my! You are a speedy demon when it comes to building new layouts! Its been 9 months since the start of Basford Parkway, and yet I haven't even got ballast down! You are someone with some talent, and I do mean it!

What you've achieved in a few hours (possibly more :P) would take me ages (although, I do have a bigger layout). I look forward to seeing this layout progress ;)

Hello all,

Thank you all very much for the kind words, much appreciated chaps. I'm not sure really why I work so fast, if I'm in the mood I suppose I go for it and see what happens lol

I have been working on the layout last night and added a few scenic items. he first item to be added was the trees. I only have four at the moment and they are not the best, but for the time being, they will do. I'm wanting to create a very much wildlife, overgrown scene with the tress and bushes. Hopefully soon I will be purchasing a few more items such as the trees. I also feel that the trees give the layout just a little bit more height and they will also be good for taking photos of locos through the branches. I'm not going to have tress all the way along the front of the layout, as then nobody would be able to see the locos. I'm just wanting them at both ends of the layout ;) Photo below of the trees:

p1040488z.jpg

I was also looking through my modeling box this morning of other bits and pieces that could be added. The one item I did find and have wanted to add this on a layout for sometime now is the Bachmann cement silo. I do like the model and I think it fits the scene nicely and again it adds interest and height in what would be an empty corner of the layout. Photo below: (I need add some bits of plastic-card under the legs of the silo as its a little wonky :$ )

p1040490p.jpg

With the ballast dry, I will be moving onto the track weathering today. I will be also painting the side of the rails to make them look rusty too. Hopefully more later on ;)

All the best,

George

George,

Wow! In just one post on a new layout you've made me realise how little I've done with Westwood Lane! Absolutely super looking layout.

On pic 1, around the buffers, what have you used as ballast? Is it sand?

Cheers,

Chris

Hiya Chris,

Thanks very much for the kind comment mate :)

The ballast around the buffer stops is a little bit like sand, its N gauge brown ballast. It looks much more to scale than the OO gauge ballast.

Kind regards,

George

Hello all,

Glad I could help, Chris :)

The plan for this afternoon was to start weathering the track and paint the rail sides. That didn't go to plan at all! Instead I found myself holding a hot soldering iron in one hand and a bit of wire in the other and found myself playing trains ^_^ Although, I have only wired up one piece of track in the fiddle yard meaning that when I change the three way point two sidings go dead, but still, I had some fun lol Even though trains are simply going backwards and then forwards and perhaps go on a different line, I just felt a little proud with myself to have trains moving and to find there's no track alignment problems or anything, its all good! :D

I even took a couple of snaps of locos moving around.

First photo is of a class 66 line up :D :

p1040491e.jpg

the second photo is a little different. Its a shot I will be taking more often as I do like it! Its 60070 through the trees:

p1040494u.jpg

I had better make a start on the weathering now... lol

All the best,

George

Love both the pics George. The second one is an excellent view and has already given me lots of inspiration for my layout. its just the sort of detail and viewing angle that I'd love on my micro. If you took the layout outside and posed that shot with real sunlight I reckon it'd be a photo of the month winner for sure! It'd get my vote... at least twice ha ha!

Although the DBS 66 on the top pic has got me staring longingly at it's page on the Hattons site... Grr!

Thanks guys lol

It was a struggle to get the shot of the 60 amongst the trees, but I'm glad it came out ok. I'm hoping one day to take the layout out in the garden, that probably won't happen until I get the backscene fully fitted with a decent photo backdrop. I'm having a load of fun with the layout, feel like a big kid lol Gonna get my GBRF 66702 out and about on the layout with sound, that should be even funner ;)

Chris, you know you want DBS 66152... Do it! Do it! lol

Thank you both Jack and Chris for your kind comments :)

All the best,

George

Chris, you know you want DBS 66152... Do it! Do it! lol
I do George - just a funding issue at the moment. Will have to wait till pay-day... unless I buy my Crewe Alex season ticket next month instead...

Decisions decisions... ^o)

Also, maybe you could look at the backscenes being removeable? I think that second shot, in the garden with a natural background would look awesome.

Same here Chris, would love to buy trees, bushes and flowers for the layout, but the price just goes up and up!

I think my new loco for this year will be EWS 66209 when bachmann release it :)

Removable backscene would be cool, theres a few places around here where I can go and take some photos of the layout. I couldn't in my back garden as there would only be a big green fence as the backdrop, but definitely something I will do, thanks for the idea, mate :)

All the best,

George

Hello all,

Nothing has been done on the layout at all this week. Money funds are real bad at the moment so can't see me really buying anything for the layout for a while, which is a shame as I want to crack on with adding tress and bushes ect. :-/

I don't think I have posted a photo of the track plan so here is a photo of it:

p1040496.jpg

I have spent most of the week playing trains :$ its been good to see trains finally move. I also got a couple of wagons out and my class 09 shunter and shunted the wagons around. I have decided that wagons will be allowed at the sidings as it adds extra operational interest.

I went down to the sidings yesterday evening, and managed to photo 66702 whilst the driver was signing in at the office:

p1040511uxq.jpg

p1040512.jpg

Thats all for now.

All the best,

George

Mornin all,

Thank you for the kind comments chaps, hopefully things will pick up, money wise.

Spent yesterday evening painting the sides of the track a rusty colour. When I first started painting the track it looked like somebody had just been murdered on the tracks :blink: but now that's it dried, it definitely looks better. All that's left now is to go around the tracks with a black wash to create them oil stains on the tracks and really age the tracks :D

I managed to photo 60006 on the rusty rails, its a very overcast day ;)

p1040513b.jpg

That's all for now, hopefully more later.

All the best,

George

Looks like youve got the right colour for your rusty rails there mate. Thats the first one ive seen that doesnt look like the rails have been tangoed :P Hence why i used a dark brown when doing mine. Looks good with the tug sitting there mate :) Looking forward to further updates!

Danny

Hello all,

Thanks Danny for the kind comment. I'm glad the track colour looks okay :)

Managed to complete another task today. I saw a photo that Jon had posted of a class 56 stabled by the buffer stops and I really liked the yellow and black buffers stops. So I decided to paint mine :) I haven't painted mine black and yellow, just yellow and they certainly look way better than black. I'm planning on adding some buffer stop lights as soon as I get the wonga to get them that is, but I'm not 100% sure that they would be needed as sidings don't tend to have them, but yet again, I could be wrong?

I managed to take a photo of the three, now yellow, buffer stops... and EWS 66067 is photographed too, Sorry Jack :D

p1040516d.jpg

I'm hoping sometime this week to order some more grasses too, but not sure when.

All the best,

George