buz

Triang/ Hornby caboose help

Question

Hi all

I have been watching E Bay for years in the faint hope of finding balcony rails for a Triang? / Hornby?  Old Time Caboose not sure if it's R449 or 499 the number on the bottom is very hard to read.

Being a clip on part this one is the common lost part.

My question is

Does any one know where I might find a set of balcony rails?? so it is worth my while trying to restore it as a looks complete runner.

regards John

4 answers to this question

Hi John,

Try 'Peters Spares Model Railways Ltd' based in Middlesbrough www.peterspares.com

However due to Covid 19 lockdown he may not be open until restrictions are relaxed (possibly later this year) He carries lots and lots of parts.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi piermaster

Already tried him he was the only other thought I have had since posting the question no luck.

The thought Kid and sweet shop goes through my mind when trying to sort out what he actually does have and its a lot.

The shop is closed but at present on line purchase is still possible but delivery delays may happen depending on Royal Mail Service.

regards John

Hi.

It is R.449. The running number is also the R. Number in this case.

646F5665-784F-408B-823B-1F6290076E49.jpeg.81714e926c8726b653003f92ddc599f8.jpeg

http://www.tri-angrailways.org.uk/caboose.html

It looks like the easiest way to replace the balcony rails would be to make them from plastic card.

It will be hard to find these parts, though you may be lucky, as not many would know what the part is if on it’s own.

Be aware that the R. Number R.449 has been reused for the Hornby Railways Coach Lighting Unit, to fit to certain Hornby coaches.

8E315B85-1A14-4F64-8F90-7A5A6AE28474.thumb.jpeg.913c13c8dec5aafaeee6cc286ef2dfce.jpegAA5FE0BB-9B38-4EE0-A815-C34688FB5DD4.thumb.jpeg.62627b34eb36b525f652e6b9d9b0b35c.jpeg

Also a LNER “teak” finish brake Clerestory coach, using the Tri-ang GWR Clerestory coach tooling.

1CA31C4E-FBCA-49EB-9880-A92BEAE0990E.thumb.jpeg.cd1c689941194fd8476c22fa4dd36da3.jpeg

Edited by sarah
Added reuse of R number

Hi Sarah

Have reached the point where its phone a friend 😀

He knows some one who does 3D printing but I won't be letting the one I have out of my sight.

Tried the Triang club for a chimney but the site won't A ) let me in and B ) purchase a replica smoke stack for the caboose or the wild west style balcony coaches they do or at least did do those parts as replicas.

If the 3D works then it will be lets sort some genuine fake balcony's for the coaches that are missing them

The plan for the coaches is to scan them and the caboose balcony's and do a digital cut and shut to get a balcony that has the coach steps and the caboose plates so it is obvious the balcony's are not genuine but the coach still looks complete.

regards John

Edited by buz