Stephen

Mr Stephen Magee

I have a loop layout and by fixing two points together I get an inner loop, unfortunately when I switch rails I lose power as the rail connection is cut, I can place a pin across points to reestablish connection as I am not an electrician my question is this, are there problems in me doing this? 

18 hours ago, Stephen said:

I have a loop layout and by fixing two points together I get an inner loop, unfortunately when I switch rails I lose power as the rail connection is cut, I can place a pin across points to reestablish connection as I am not an electrician my question is this, are there problems in me doing this? 

Yes there is a high risk of the train magnet picking up the pin and as a result the pin jamming and possibly chewing up the gears

Noting your not an electrician comment, I would suggest getting a second hand wiring your layout book as I assume from your comment that the layout is DC and not DCC

So an older DC only wiring book will help you no end.

If however I am wrong and your layout is DCC then a new up to the minute wiring book would be helpful.

Given your description of the problem I would think wiring an on off switch across the gap would perhaps be a better solution

Are you able to up load a picture so I can see what the track layout looks like.

wiring a layout properly is not the scary thing it seems once you know how it works and how to wire it up properly.

Most railway modelers are not electricians so they had to learn how to as well that where a forum comes in handy to find out what you don't know so you can then do.

regards John

Edited by buz