Chris

Corr-ish

Corris Original

Despite never having visited, I have a keen interest in the Corris railway. Aside from the Thomas the Tank Engine links (I was a huge fan of the books as a child, with a particular fondness for the Skarloey railway) the only other explanation I have is that I always develop an affinity to the smaller, sometimes more downtrodden. It’s evident in my choice of sports teams (Crewe Alexandra and Derbyshire Cricket Club) for starters!

Anyway, as I start to dabble in 009, I wondered if the Corris railway actually offered a good possible starting point. Corris station is, simply, a tuning fork. The line then runs in front of a Welsh slate wall, behind which is housed a church. The line can be seen roughly drawn in on the photo above.

This got me thinking. I have a Tim Horn ‘scenic board,’ just 25 centimetres deep by 45 centimetres wide. What if I made the curve out of the station more severe, bending it around the wall in front of the church (see red line on photo below)?

Corris Plan The blue dashed lines are purely there to indicate a back scene, although I would imagine the the layout would end at the station fence on the right hand side, with the track being sandwiched along a wall at the front and the church wall.

You might spot that there is a lot of inspiration taken from the excellent ‘Shifting Sands‘ by Colin Peake.  The slate walling looks like it could be fun to do, whilst the church is as close as possible to a dead ringer as the church in the Dapol range.

All in all, it’s a project that I am feeling very excited about. The first job is to work out f I get the flexi track to bend appropriately.

Hi Chris

If your just having a bit of a play with OO9.

This would be a good one requires only one point (make it a properly wired live frog) one maybe two lengths of flex track Bachmann Skarloey and upgrade kit from Narrow Planet

I could not find a reference for the Corris coach but I am sure some one made a kit for one, could be interesting to run the coach with a four wheel open wagon with the mail

Corris did once have a Royal mail contract Way back when it was a full running railway and used a steel ?? four wheeled wagon for the mail.

A download of the plan for Corris station is available from the Corris railway on line shop the cost is one pound sixty seven pence.

OO9 Locos and rolling stock can be pricey  but on a small layout like this where what is needed is such a small quantity should not be an issue.

I Personally think keep it straightish and perhaps do a series of interconnected  small modules with a Welsh theme something like this?? its worth a read if you can get to it.

http://ngrm-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/13113-waldbahn-eusserthal-updates-and-news-from-my-forestry-layout-in-009/

There are some nice video's of small narrow gauge layouts on YouTube

You could even have a look at Minitrains Track and see if you can fit a loop in that space but it will be tight and Minitrains  field railway track is  not compatible with Peco track the rails are 002" different in size not sure which way.

http://www.minitrains.eu/sources/Gleisplanung-10-2016.pdf

No the church is not Corris, its a dead ringer for somewhere else I forget where but it is a model of a particular church it would look good though.

regards John

Chris this sounds like an interesting project, Colin Peakes modelling work is fantastic and has produced some lovely dioramas.

Look forward to seeing your progress.