Sign in to follow this  
sarah

Hornby Terrier. The New Build...

Hornby Terrier, the new version. R3767. BR Lined Black, Early Crest. 32655 (Stepney).

General views.... after I had installed a loco crew, and changed the colour of the reverser lever and regulator.... and the gauge glasses.

Photo0029-2.jpg

Photo0031-2.jpg

Photo0032-2.jpg

Photo0033-2.jpg

The extra pipes, which fit under the buffer beams....

Photo0103-2.jpg

Initial modifications....

All locos deserve a crew!

The gauge glasses look better (IMO) in white than "Copper" or "Brass", and the Reverser is not likely to be made of Brass or Copper, as it would likely bend! (It is coloured "Copper" or "Brass"as it comes.

The Regulator is plain black as it comes.... I prefer it in red!

Photo0026-2.jpg

Photo0117-2.jpg

Photo0114-2.jpg

Getting into the cab....body dis-assembly.

The body, boiler, side tanks, cab and bunker, are held onto the metal footplate by 7 screws. one into the smokebox, two each side into the side tanks, and two into the cab/bunker.

Photo0023-2.jpg

Photo0025-2.jpg

Photo0028-2.jpg

The cab seems to be clipped to the boiler, but there are a few pipes from the boiler that are probably glued into the holes in the cab front.... I did not try to part the cab from the boiler as I did not relish trying to get the pipes back into their holes, even if they were not glued in!

Photo0027-2.jpg

DCC Decoder Fitting.

The 6-Pin socket is in a position that precludes the use of most, if not all, direct plug 6-pin decoders.

Photo0102-2.jpg

The Hornby R7150 6-pin decoder has a short wire harness and 6-pin plug.

The wires are just about the maximum length that can be folded over the decoder, and still fit inside the body.

Some insulating tape is a very good idea to cover the exposed connexions, and prevent the decoder coming into contact with any metal....

Photo0104-2.jpg

Photo0107-2.jpg

Photo0106-2.jpg

Photo0105-2.jpg

It is one of very few 6-pin decoders that can be fitted, it would seem.... I have got the Hornby decoder, and fitted it to mine. Less hassle for me.

Couplings.

I have fitted Kadee NEM couplings to my Terrier. #19. The NEM pockets on the Terrier are at the correct height when seated properly, but the Kadee couplings require packing under the shaft inside the pockets, otherwise they are a bit of a loose fit and droop.

Photo0111-2.jpg

Photo0109-2.jpg

Photo0110-2.jpg

Photo0108-2.jpg

Coupled to a Hornby Ex LNER Class O1 tender chassis....again the NEM pocket is at the correct height....

Photo0113-2.jpg