Tim Hale

Hints from Hornby

The link to the Hornby blog is rather revealing as it features the Bluebell's SR Q class, is this a subtle hint as to the next Hornby release?

There are no promises but the Southern's U and Q have topped the Southern section of the annual wishlist for the past few years.

Here is the link:- Hornby Blog News

Tim 

I find the prices quite stunning, there's only one model that caught my interest but I'll not be spending half a week's wages on a tiny four wheeled diesel. The mechanism in this tiny loco is probably on a par with one of the the two power bogies in the original Bachmann HO scale 44 ton GE centre cab, so dodgy to say the least when running on Hornby's own points even if it is coupled to the match wagon.

Of course, we all know about Hornby's (optimistic, to say the least) due dates so I reckon there's going to be enough wish-listing and pledges to buy "one each of every available livery" on a certain box-opening forum to keep its members' posting frequency at commercially acceptable levels for the next 18 to 24 months.

Half a week's wages on a Ruston 48DS? When exactly was £156 the average wage in the UK,  this isn't even a lunchtime.... .....

However, to be realistic, at £78, these are remarkable value, trying to put together the elusive Judith Edge kit will set you over £125 in bits alone using a High-Level motordrive and half decent wagon wheels, let alone the time making the beast.

I regard Hornby's planned releases as rather interesting, certainly more confident than Bachmann's endless repaints.

My pre-orders are almost exclusively from Hornby plus Kernow's sublime exLSWR Road Van.

There again, my glass is always half-full.

Tim