buz

new year new project

Hi all

Since I was allowed to work in the air conditioned lounge today "Provided I did not use any of that stinky glue"

I salvaged what I could from a too large Tori arch and made some steps leading to the temple only two but it just finishes that bit off I think.

I still have the slotted bits so can paint up the arch and what is left of the base and still use it as war games terrain

Unfortunately using shadow grey on the step edges to try and highlight them is I think a bit of a fail to much of a blue grey I think.

I will put a figure there and hopefully it will distract viewers from the step edge.

705610392_IMG_9525(2)toristeps.thumb.jpg.4d4cd073bee667280be9e4e315b82d44.jpg

regards John

Hi all

Well a friend of mine suggested I needed a barn and really there is just no room

So working out the scale is 3.75 mm to the foot I created a "No Barn" this did not work to well as it ended up taller than the shop and looked a little narrow.

So attack plan B was to create a "No Cottage" this worked out much better.

1290674856_IMG_9530(2)NoHouse.thumb.jpg.34eb3b27bd3350df4e9a5f09a8b380da.jpg

So what is it you ask literally a 3mm packer for the control switches support angle that was cut L shaped to take into account the cottage end wall.

I has an angled cut on the top of the wall for the roof to be attached.

The cottage end is a bit of pill box card for the wall and more pill box card with 2mm graph paper stuck on it to get the timbers cut something like straight.

Very fiddly job.

Given the location of the cottage it can't have a solid roof that could hurt or get knocked off, so I am going to use the kitchen scourer cut to shape as the roof.

That should have a bit of give in it and still bounce back into shape err I hope ?? and once painted hopefully look like thatch.

There you have it there will be a "NO Cottage" on the micro layout giving an extra micro justification for the railway being there.

regards John

Hi all well

Making the "No Cottage" is proving interesting

I would have thought it would be nearly finished now given the speed citadel paints usually dry in but it's not.

The inside of the scouring pad is still wet it was painted this morning at some horrible hour because I could not sleep.

Also the Stanley trimmer doesn't like cutting the stuff I am on the MK II roof

We could be heading for the MK III building.

As I was sent a nice picture of a real one on another forum that looked even better than my end efforts and I might go for the  back with no windows😕

The real deal

Japan-Kawasaki-Minkaen-024-1320x990.thumb.jpg.13ea1460f53c16e0db1485578c7630ad.jpg

My efforts on a slightly different but still Japanese  design house end

139207842_IMG_9536(2)NoHouse2.thumb.jpg.1ff1f7fc7b166bb0b8c94d6ed5a9d135.jpg

regards John

Hi all

Well we have made it to the  mark III NO Building.

Why because of the picture of the real one the mark II doesn't have the foundation pad which I was not aware of when I started the mark II.

And an attempt to get a steeper roof line this may not work with the power tools I have but hopefully I can get a little steeper at least.

As it will be on public display I have to get this as right as I can.

if this keeps up I am going to run out of 3mm MDF off cuts to make the switch angle packer out of.

regards John

15 minutes ago, matt_d10 said:

Hi John,

Really like the small project! It's looking great and providing lots of inspiration. Also hadn't seen some of those tomytec sets before. Might have to order some myself!

Matt

Hi Matt

My advice if you do decide to get some of the sets get all the extras you need at the same time.

I had a lot of sweating waiting for motorized chassis to become available.

They are simple enough to do but be careful some of the wagon tabs are a very fragile and you have to disassemble the wagons to get the weight in.

But something different and being narrow gauge need less room for a working layout.

Its annoying but wagon packs are not really available unless you want milk wagons. and you have to get in quick or miss out and wait a while for resupply.

regards John

Hi all

The Mk III no house is coming along nicely " wot a load of rubbish" literally what it is made from proving never never throw anything away.

1929903138_IMG_9544(2)NohouseMkIIIfxd.thumb.jpg.08b973bb729021e111dae498587598d9.jpg

Its a bit blurry because of bad light etc

The little tiny thing siting on the 5c Au coin is an opening to go on the wall it is 6mm square opening with a 1mm frame and made of 4 layers graph paper,

which gives it the same thickness of the wall timbers.

This is all guess work based on the picture of the real thing.

And the back

1619914187_IMG_9545(2)back.thumb.jpg.b2567ed82dc71e01e613bd72289873b4.jpg

You can see the double layer forming the roof angle  and the Mk III extra piece for a bit more roof support

you can also just see the side supports for the card sheeting. the very keen eyed will also notice that the card stops 2mm short this is a gap left for the foundation pad

That has not been made yet.

regards John

Edited by buz

Hi all

it needs a bit of a touch up by the looks of it but this is the best i could come up with for the foundation pad

The stones where cut in by hand using an Olfa P cutter and razor saw the foundation its self is 4mm X 2mm plastic strip

hopefully it looks random enough.

1865162574_IMG_9549(2)foundation.thumb.jpg.c9c893794eda3aa1a132226099f92853.jpg

regards John

Hi all

The foundation is inked the roof is on and painted

Unfortunately the roof looks mostly black in the picture it is in fact mostly grey with a bit of green where the flock will go

531162691_IMG_9562(2)roofed.thumb.jpg.10c8a4e77e3718ca3f7a7eb844cfeece.jpg

Not sure about this idea of nylon kitchen scourer for the thatched roof

I think I need to refine how I do it over time, but it does at least look organic rather than manufactured.

regards John

Edited by buz

Hi all

Given the generally well kept appearance of the the house I decided yesterday a full green roof was not the way to go

As indicated by the green paint I spread some Woodland Scenics burnt grass scatter followed by a bit of Noch summer grass

That should look OK once dry the combination of the mixed greens and any still exposed paint should give the right effect.

12369410_IMG_9564(2)alldone.thumb.jpg.aaa602cde81d9c29e697b0b8a072baa2.jpg

Now just the boring grey fascia paint to go on the back which will also be visible in parts

once that's done, I can then turn my attention to finishing the small amount of wiring still to be done.

regards John

Hi all

The "No House" is completed and in place.

The vegetable garden now makes sense with the house in place.

1551245860_IMG_9570(2)houseandgarden.thumb.jpg.a7190dd2c8e44fce737e71011f111fca.jpg

The switch plate is also in place the house is in fact the packer for the switch plate

Just have to fix the scenery around the "No House" and wire up the switches two for track isolation's and one for lights

171588869_IMG_9572(2)switchplate.thumb.jpg.a0f554952f561f21f2c7891cef280a9d.jpg

I wonder is No Space like the E space from Disk world :D.

regards John

Hi all

The scenery around the house is re-done.

1150435222_IMG_9574(2)sceneone.thumb.jpg.55a07d171e1ec4ef799400022fdd18b6.jpg

1855413596_IMG_9573(2)scenetwo.thumb.jpg.ab50eeb115efdf5cbe3d0ef9355df03f.jpg

The troublesome  ginkgo tree has been moved, because the edge of the house foundation is where it once nearly stood if it doesn't stay stuck this time its gone.

Some flowering shrubs have been added looks pretty good I think.

I have seen pictures of Japanese houses where the house really is that close to the track so that bit is all good.

Have to see if I have a couple of chooks to have wandering around just to finish it off.

regards John

Edited by buz

Hi all

Chooks done four of them  I think that corner can be called scenically complete.

Unless some one can see or think of something I have  missed.

At 38 degrees too hot to do any more today.

3739754_IMG_9575(2)chooks.thumb.jpg.c55c97eb2b955b835d336dff66142f55.jpg

regards John

Edited by buz