Chris

00Severn: Project Arley

image1

So, here it is. My new project. Arley Station, in Worcestershire, on the Severn Valley Railway.

For the first time I’ve decided to go for a real location, for several reasons really. Firstly, I prefer to watch trains go by. I’m not a massive operator, I enjoy running trains and relaxing as they run by, stopping them in the station whilst a bit of yard work goes on nearby. In addition, my own planned layouts run out of steam (sorry!) when I realise I have to make up what’s there. I lack the imagination to do so, trying to squeeze too much, unprototypical detail in. Finally, as this is a long term project, the fact that I enjoy tinkering with stock and buildings means I can take my time on these aspects before things are in place regarding the actual layout build.

Plans are not exactly finalised yet. The dream is that the layout is a roundy-roundy, housed in a shed. However, a number of factors would need to alter before this could happen (buying of a house, initially) and potentially a shelf layout might take it’s place instead. This isn’t a major consideration currently though, as the aim is, initially, to get started on the buildings. There is no mad rush to finish the buildings and I’d like to scratch build (or kit bash) as many as possible. There are lots of aims with this build, and one of the main ones is that I want to take my time with the build, not rush things, and ensure that I get it right.

Preservation, Bob. Prototype is there right in front of me. It won't be a 100% accurate rendition, as it will certainly be condensed slightly. 

I like the current siding arrangement as, if I ever fancy it, I could use it to inglenook! (Shunting on the main line! The horror of it!)

Good call, allows you to run just about anything. A large logo Hoover pulling blood and custard MkI stock, a Jinty (in fictional bright red LMS livery) with LNER teaks, maybe even some maroon MkIIs to go behind that butt-ugly Swindon kettle you've got. :P

Edited by Bob Hughes

img_8963.jpgimg_9006.pngI decided to start simple with Arley. The two hits above were the first buildings to tackle. I started with two Wills lineside huts, making one 'as is' and carrying out an easy kit-bash on the second. Final details such as the valvoline sign need to be added, and I'm not entirely happy with the colour of the door, but otherwise the first two buildings are done!

img_9069.jpg
Next up, I'm thinking of attempting the shop, a building that - as can be seen on the top picture, the building on the far right - looks like a grounded van body clad in corrugated metal work, plus an awning over the front. 

A tip for modelling wriggly tin. Use "corrugated clear plastic", intended for roof glazing, instead of "corrugated iron". It's a lot thinner. I used the clear plastic material when constructing the station buildings at Park Hall Halt. A lick of paint and you can't tell that it's meant to be see-though. Especially noticeable on the ticket office canopy.

platform-phh.jpg?w=640

Edited by Bob Hughes