pctrainman

DCC Optoisolator to Arduino interface board .

Question

10 answers to this question

Hi, 

Is the problem around the pins you use for the optoisolator?

You get 4 pin versions which are easier to understand. Did you get the same chip as on the drawing?

Phil

Hi Phillip , Yes I have the same optoisolator ie the 6N137 , I need to make this circuit X 3  to connect 3 Arduino Nanos plus shields to control eleven 2 aspect colour light signals and 5 servos for semaphores , I was being guided step by step through the procees by a guy in Aussie  till he just disappeared of the net about 2 months ago leaving me with all the components he'd told me to order but only a veroboard diagram for eleven very simple voltage and brightness adaptor boards for the 2 aspects ( I have made these) , my biggest problem is that although i'm pretty much physically ok a Stroke 4 years ago left me with a brain which just cannot seem to relate one type of drawing to another and work out where to place the components and cut tracks when using a schematic to build a circuit on veroboard .

Hi,

Are the signals & servos DCC?

You may be able to run some of these directly from the Arduin if they have a wire for each colour. A transistor could be used for supplying 12V.

Philip

Hi , I apologise for the delay in replying but I had not set my account to receive notifications of replies , It is DCC , I have a Lenz system plus DCC4PC Railcom readers and traincontroller Silver by Freiwald , The 2 aspect colour lights are rated at 12 volts and the RC Servos ( 5 off) I believe are also 12 volts but I could be wrong regarding the servos , I have had a servo operating off of an Arduino and shield using a Sketch called " servo tune " but that at the moment is as far as i've gone .One of the components he told me to order was some Darlington Transistors ( TIP 120) but these seem to be intended for 2 further boards that will operate 2 Electromagnetic uncouplers also under Arduino control .I have attached his drawing for those .

modified board.gif

Sorry, been in Canada for a few weeks and only catching up.

Is that a DC or AC Supply? Perf board looks OK to me, assuming its a +12V supply (not sure about why its 18V?)

TIP120's are either for motor control or higher voltage (eg 12V)

Hi ,The PSU is an 18 volt DC one and  i'm assuming the TIP120 is used to bring the Arduinos output to something nearer to the 18 volts the uncouplers need but as they have a 18 volt supply anyway i'm confused as why they are needed , I have now found a Vero board drawing for the Arduino to DCC interface boards ( 3 off ) but i'm waiting on 2 of the components needed for these , i'm attaching the vero diagram I found .

Project_001_DCC_Arduino_Optocoupler_6N137_Veroboard_C.jpg

Philip, just so that you know the whole facts...

Gary (PCTrainMan) seems to have forgotten some pertinent information.

Gary sent me the following email message  on 19/Mar/2017:
"Hi , Thank you for the diagram but I would'nt worry about me and my layout anymore as i've decided to abandon any more work on it other than finishing it scenically , I spent a whole week trying to find another short and did find it in the end and then found that although the points are receiving power from the DCC bus the track (blocks ) are not it would seem that the reader boards are not acting as a return path for the current and to be honest i've had enough i'm fed up with forever chasing problems and forever trying to figure out what is going on , I thank you for your help and i'm sorry to have wasted your time , Gary ."

That suggests to me that when Gary said: "I was being guided step by step through the procees by a guy in Aussie  till he just disappeared of the net about 2 months ago", he was actually mistaken on who terminated the conversation.

I'm also the creator of both Veroboard drawings you see in this Post (The first I emailed to Gary, and second Gary downloaded from 'TalkingTracks.com.au').

Gary's Signals actually have LEDs fitted, with a Resistor in the Common Leg (Can't remember if it's the Anode or the Cathode), to allow operation at 12 Volts (According to the eBay Seller he purchased them from).

The 18 Volt Supply for the Electromagnetic Uncouplers is what Gary said they required.  Since a MicroController can't handle the Current required by the Coil (The VOltage isn't the issue, and you will notice that there is a Common Ground), I drew up the First Veroboard Layout for Gary.  Obviously, that uses a Power Darlington to switch the current through the Coil, using a MicroController's Pin switching the Darlington's Base.

As Gary finds it very difficult to comprehend technical things after his Stroke (For instance, he couldn't do the Maths for Ohm's Law), he's right when he said I never explained it to him.  We didn't actually get to the point where he would Construct any of these Veroboard Layouts, before Gary said he didn't want to continue.

And, for the record, my email address hasn't changed, and Gary has never requested assistance with any of the above, after he email on 19/Mar/2017.

So, it appears quite inappropriate for Gary to claim:  "he just disappeared of the net about 2 months ago  leaving me with all the components he'd told me to order but only a veroboard diagram for eleven very simple voltage and brightness adaptor boards".

If you like, you can see Gary make the same claims, and with the same questions, here:
-   http://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/arduino-to-dcc-circuit-help.150749/page-2

I was looking at those half-gumsticks but now going to buy a few, and will follow your instructions.
Are you saying that they won't be charged off Aiwa and have to be pulled out for recharge?
And yes, my Aiwa had a small 470uF cap, at least for AAA gondola. Gondola for Aiwa rechargeable is just a piece of plastic.