buz

buz rail workshops

3 hours ago, buz said:

Sounds like stain first then glue/ sealer?

Because the stain won't penetrate the glue, at least it doesn't on proper wood work.

regards John

You never said anything about staining?
Think carefully as Balsa can soak up several coats of staining and it wouldn't look any different!

10 hours ago, piermaster said:

You never said anything about staining?
Think carefully as Balsa can soak up several coats of staining and it wouldn't look any different!

Thanks for the tip will have to play with a scrap bit and see what works best to get the old grey wood look on the platform.

regards john

Hi all

Platform

1273231049_IMG_9711(2)platform.thumb.jpg.8710475f560dbda9caefc3c535c7a7de.jpg

The platform is balsa wood most of mistake in the middle will disappear under the building

I got a couple of marks mixed up.

The plank lines are created with a black Biro the platform was then stained with Cabot's Jarrah wood stain

So looks like an Australian hard wood I put enough to make it darker than the more usual redish hew that people expect in super expensive furniture

Decided against the steel wool vinegar stain which can be unpredictable and had it worked would give the silver grey color of old wood.

regards John

Hi NorthBrit

Thanks for the kind words.

So far so good using card is new to me the bigger problem is what to do with it when it finished.

As well as an experiment its a fun project that a place will have to be found for it 😀

regards John

Hi all

All building parts stuck together.

2029295514_IMG_9716(2)allparts.thumb.jpg.bbf3c0935890c308b9f5dbe3b83f96ed.jpg

Next to make the roof for the passenger shelter another cut and try  until it fits then finish tiling the roof.

so it can be painted and finished, checked and fixed to the platform for final details.

regards John

Hi all

Needs a bit of glue on the left side to fix a slight curl in the roof but more or less ready for roof tiles.

Looks a little less toy like with the passenger shelter roof on but not by much. 😀

1668138800_IMG_9717(2)roofon.thumb.jpg.cfa6d6f6243bf34f6726bab3716be027.jpg

regards John

Hi all

Today we are coping the tail end of a cyclone so it is tipping down with rain.

So roof progress is slow glue taking forever to dry.

96169181_IMG_9720(2)nextroofs.thumb.jpg.1c11a05428f5e2bc2314abb2c288b25b.jpg

Looks like I will be looking for the vampire, death and the demon instead of working on the roof.

Anyone know of a standing saddled white horse being available in HO or OO or one that could be painted white

regards John

Edited by buz

4 hours ago, buz said:

Hi all

Today we are coping the tail end of a cyclone so it is tipping down with rain.

So roof progress is slow glue taking forever to dry.

96169181_IMG_9720(2)nextroofs.thumb.jpg.1c11a05428f5e2bc2314abb2c288b25b.jpg

Looks like I will be looking for the vampire, death and the demon instead of working on the roof.

Anyone know of a standing saddled white horse being available in HO or OO or one that could be painted white

regards John

We, in the UK, are in the tail end of a storm also.  It will last to the end of the week.

As for knowing of a standing, saddled white horse being available?

N, but when I can get to visit our local model shop I shall enquire.

HI NorthBrit

Thanks saddled white horse is for death I much prefer the Terry Pratchet point of view on death so Binky (Err I think?? ) his horse  Is rather essential

The essentials horse standing still and saddled I can always paint it white if I have to.

Please let me know part number and who manufactures it or the set it comes in.

Many thanks.

My local hobby shop is 612Km away and phoning them is a pain it can take a while just for the phone to answered.

regards John

Edited by buz

30 minutes ago, NorthBrit said:

Hi John.   Are the horses from Langley Models  any good for what you want?

No unfortunately.

But the set with some skeletons in it that I did not know they did is 😀

Time to put a small mail order together I think.

regards John

Hi all

roof is done.

Its turned into a bit of a mess in this case it doesn't matter there are spots the roof would possibly leak.1838126084_IMG_9729(2)tilesdone.thumb.jpg.59db0708cf7ff429be49d09dd945bd1b.jpg

I had some overnight real tile movement rather than modeled can any one suggest a suitable glue for this kind of work,

that won't let it slip.

regards John

Edited by buz

2 minutes ago, NorthBrit said:

2mm squares?     Not my kind of modelling.  No. Not at all.

You can carry on though. 

Hi NorthBrit

Yes the graph paper is 2mm squares it was a quick simple way to get all the roof tiles the same size and easily vary some as needed.

The base size is 8mm X 4 mm same size as a slate 2' X 1' It is a PITA and I had a problem with movement as you can see.

I have done the roof the same as I did foam core war games buildings but a lot harder because of the much smaller size of tile and the need for a proper scale.

Without an Opti-visor it would have been a printed paper roof which would not looked as good and be far to regular for this project and no groove for the roof decorative bits to be stuck in.

I am pushing as hard as I can at the limit of what I can do, I figure I will get the best result I can that way, and might do something highly dangerous learn something 😀.

One lesson learned don't stick decorative bits on before whole roof done I have had to repair the first spiky bit done  due to a broken spike

Just like old the Triang buildings the bulk of the detail is on the roof.

I think I am doing OK for some one who has never built a model almost entirely from paper and card.

More a plastic kit man myself.

Must go to craft shop and get a tiny small glass bead if you can still get them don't know yet but might need one for the bell wire lightning rod if I put one up.

regards John

Hi all

Well we are nearing the end of this one the roof is all done so structural work done

Just needs barge boards, station name boards and the roof painted then it can be mounted on the platform.

1475821438_IMG_9735(2)spikeyroof.thumb.jpg.088cba4288216932e515fc39e55534c9.jpg

Oh! and a caboose smoke stack

regards John

Edited by buz

Hi all

First step in finishing the roof I have no idea how it will turn out.

First a dry brush with shadow grey this is a blue grey color.

This is the bit I am not sure about, I would not normally use this color as part of roof finishing.

I normally go black, codex grey, fortress grey

I am trying to get a finish that will show the roof  and not over do the fortress grey which the walls are painted.

the ridge crest will be repainted black when finished.

1721605859_IMG_9742(2)paint1.thumb.jpg.13af9ea09084aeb6caa8b52219988bf8.jpg

regards John

Edited by buz

Hi all

Well not the barge board I wanted but a barge board non the less.

I just could not get what I wanted marked out and cut it was  just to small and fiddly even with 10 times magnification.

1942091212_IMG_9749(2)barge.thumb.jpg.bb26640625413beca32c7bd3c800379a.jpg

I am told barge boards are around 9" deep so that's what I have cut

regards John