buz

buz rail workshops

Stane st halt 2.jpg

Hi all

Sorry about not so good picture it was taken on girl friends mobile phone.

Finally got around to doing the name board last night, which looks OK to me.

Have to think about it but I am thinking it should have an oil light on the platform thoughts please.

Other than that its a case of put the big tree in its base and job done, OH!! and maybe build a narrow gauge railway to go with it:D .

regards John

Hi all

The latest project is another narrow gauge one a flying bench passenger coach.

This a 3D print from Shapeways. It had little in the way of description from the designer so I assume the holes are for the tent frames that where originally fitted to these coaches.

The holes seem to be in the right place for that if you want see the real thing you will find it on the Ffestiniog railway

IMG_8405 (2) flying bench.jpg

Seen here in glorious pink undercoat.

It was cleaned in white spirit to remove the print residue has been primed with an automotive plastic primer and then painted pink

Why pink simple the coach is going to be red and the undercoat can change the color of the top coat well it did change the top coat

made it look more fairground red than railway like red that will be the next pic after the coach was inked to show the end panel detail.

But still more fairground red than railway.

regards John

Hi all

IMG_8410 (2) flying bench2.jpg

Here you can see what I mean by a fair ground red the other one looks the same but the green turned out to be that dark that the detail doesn't show in the picture

Most of the detail on these is on the ends.

regards John

Edited by buz

Hi all

A picture of the end hopefully you can pick the detail on the end.

IMG_8430 (2) flying bench end.jpg

I think but it is yet to be proved that the slot is a NEM coupling pocket.

I don't know if I should paint that bit black or just leave it red.

regards John

Hi all

Well nothing more can be done with the flying benches I have established Graham Farrish wagon wheels fit them and they are indeed NEM Pocket's

So I wait for some as I only have farrish coach wheels Drat:(

So I started assembling and painting a Japanese shop for the micro alluded to in my new project threadjapan shop.jpg

Sorry about the clamps and lackey band but that particular corner is being a pain it doesn't want to stick.

The magnetic corner clamps seem to work very well, shame they are not a little bit smaller.

regards John

Hi all

I finally got the walls to stick together not sure why they would not stick.

The roof is now on and glass in.

There was no ridge tile molded on the roof so a Peco one was almost split down the middle (The roof angle is different) and glued on the roof.

272600846_IMG_8784(2)fullstation.thumb.jpg.f1c650bd6059beb1eb59452b2a3dc032.jpg

Just needs the final paper details now and a base made

regards John

Edited by buz

Hi all

We all have that modeling project or two that went wrong.

This is one of mine a desert house for war-games that was made too small not a big disaster 

But in terms of what it was supposed to be pretty major it's now a possible model railway building if I ever work out what on earth to do with it.

I kept on with the work because it was going OK and except for glue and paint it cost me nothing. walls and roof left over foam core board

A bit of polyfilla  and some coffee stirrers and a bit of gyp-rock tape for window bars basicaly done

Now I just have to work out what to do with it as it really does have a middle eastern look to it.

2025140341_IMG_9426(2)desert.thumb.jpg.abba2c8c293ad9a6baa3f86ec4d9fbd3.jpg

regards John

Hi John I have just been catching up with your workbench modelling, it looks really good! Trust me we all have moments when things go a bit wrong when modelling, it helps with the excitement.😊

I’ve even had layouts that went wrong!! I built two micro layouts that looked great on my bench but were a disaster at exhibitions! One even got dumped in the local tip on the way home!!!! I sold the stock at the exhibition. 

To think I nearly did that to Walmington Pier Tramway which thankfully became New Walmington Pier, and the rest is history!! 

Hi all

I have never really liked the unusual fixed distant signal I made it wasn't quite right the first time round

The concept was good the execution Hmm well yes, but err NO.

So I have started making another one. the board is bigger 4' square the mast bigger and taller and the top of the mast has been shaped the first one was not.

The back of the board has also been painted black and white like the first one should have been but was not.

1914614740_IMG_9589(2)sigone.thumb.jpg.df5253c6fe3e8a691a6461891b490307.jpg

1412512938_IMG_9590(2)sigtwo.thumb.jpg.9403cf555c8ad1c5d7effb228909f4ed.jpg

I still have to find a dummy fixed lamp for it not sure what to use for that as it should have a green lens.

And add  a thin 1mm wide strip of something wrapped around the top to represent the mast cap "oops" forgot that before painting the mast.

This one has an all-round better appearance than the first one and its not even finished yet

regards John

Edited by buz

Hi all

Well what do you do with the left over Christmas cards don't throw them out.

1991770498_IMG_9668(2)depot.thumb.jpg.6210a24f3d4fdab658c68be802951473.jpg

Turn them into buildings or at least like me experiment with card buildings.

Don't know if this one will get finished or not have made a couple that had to be scraped and only have a few cards.

But have discovered it can be a bit fiddly to get relief, I lost a couple due to destroyed windows door looks OK

Have threatened for years to have a go now I am, window frames are fun NOT

regards John

Hi all

progress is deliberately slow as I am not familiar with card as a model material

215771089_IMG_9674(2)depot2.thumb.jpg.36332ab01bf9b725598d700083c43e95.jpg

283841713_IMG_9675(2)depot3.thumb.jpg.6091361eaddb7b751047ce4245cc6268.jpg

I have found the windows and outer frames particularly hard.

As to what scale call it tin scale as it is a just over halved "O" scale toy train building

Regards John

Edited by buz

For being an absolute beginner you're dealing very well with the material :thumbsup: 

I'd just say that perhaps a sharper blade would be advisable, but judging from pictures is always difficult so you can even not consider this part of the answer :cheers:

Hi Franco

Don't think the blade edge is the problem (Brand new blades) just the nut at the controls 😀

All a learning experience, but I do think a longer slimmer blade might be more helpful than the shorter fatter blade I am using.

regards John

Edited by buz

Hi all

l409015614_spookhill2.thumb.jpg.5c8feec5c470c15784477a86d715c2f4.jpg

A little bit further have had issues with miss matched download sizes so have to resolve that some how I may have to re-draw the second section myself

The green glazing looks a lot  darker than it is.

As this is just an experiment in card the KISS principle works for me.

The Railway Employees don't like this place strange things happen and have been seen here.

Trains don't stop here anymore, they just get passed the place as fast as the legal speed limit will allow

regards John

Hi all

Roof under way what a PITA doing individual tiles.

The tiles are 8 mm X 4mm, 2mm square graph paper was stuck on the card to make the tiles easy to cut.

1273429722_IMG_9693(2)spook7.thumb.jpg.a9268d59fe15476cd138ba6ba680cd74.jpg

Hopefully it won't look too rustic once the roof is done and painted the one slipped tile is deliberate.

Being only a very small section of roof any more than one slipped tile would be over doing it.

I can probably add two more slipped tiles on the larger section of roof without over doing it.

regards John

Hi all

And now with spiky bits on the roof ridge

1614976283_DSC00347.JPGspook8.thumb.JPG.ac03c0f6edd0c1db283b2a7d58be2d9b.JPG

The spiky bits are simplified as the original design is impossible to make with the simple hand tools I have, and more decorative than I can do without a laser cutter and I am not sure that could do it that small either.

They are a double thickness of graph paper stuck together and hardened with super glue and very fiddly to cut.

They will have to be made for the main roof and passenger shelter on the other side as well.

regards John

I hate making late remarks, but once laid the lowest row of tiles, the second and all the others have to be scaled of half tile (no matter if at left or at right) so that rain won't penetrate between  :)(:

Edited by Franco

Hi Franco

Mostly they do I will know how good or bad roof really is once painted and inked some gaps are bigger than others

First attempt this small.

Had problems at the roof valley where the sections join and made the mistake of cutting a load of tiles all at once instead of a row at a time which would have helped even things out a bit even though some tiles may have been slightly odd sizes.

Hopefully it won't look too bad once done.

regards John

Edited by buz

Hi all

Well it did not work well one simplified dragon head tile ridge

Looks like it should go woof rather than roar and breath fire. this attempt ??? I lost track after No ten but it was a lot more that got cut through

1030125835_IMG_9697(2)woofridgetile.thumb.jpg.4f138747d3bf7168e5957092ad2b9a4a.jpg

The graph squares are 2mm

There is some relief in the head  the main shape and the side of the face and ear

making it a total of six layers of paper thick

Did not work well but was worth a try and will add something extra to the model  not obvious in the picture but the ears do stick out and the inside is painted grey to highlight the gap.

regards John

Hi all

The small size of the passenger shelter really shows the tin scale nature of the project

1804029430_spook9.thumb.jpg.7b46369da55131bc948e892f63c92795.jpg

Support post will have to be lightly trimmed and braced before the whole lot is mounted on a balsa platform and joined together for finishing.

regards John