Chris

Chris' workbench

24064676110_664e46596e_b.jpg

Hi folks, finally got around to starting my own workbench thread! Earlier this work I purchased one of the above on a well-known auction site. It's a Lima 37 in Mainline Freight, number 37219. I've had a hankering for a Mainline 37 for a long time and, having recently enjoyed tinkering with an old Hornby Railroad tank engine, decided that it would be the perfect basis for me to have a go at upgrading an older model. 

Plans are afoot to get one of the new weathered Bachmann examples too... it's my birthday soon! 

But, back to the Lima model. In the past I've upgraded several Lima 47's with reasonable success, having mainly focused on livery elements. This time, I want to go several steps further. Having received the loco and given it a quick once over there are several things that - straight away - leap out as areas that must be improved. 

1) Those windscreen surrounds. Urgh. An etch will have to be bought.

2) Horns. These are on the prototype and will be sought out.

3) Handrails on the front of the loco, painted white.

4) Removal of the coupling at one end and replace it with the relevant details.

Quite a lot of what is required would be sourced from a Vi-Trains 37 kit, I hope, so I'll search for one of those and see what I get. Aside from that, I'll potentially look at replacing the roof grill, and will certainly wasp over the model - particularly the bogies etc - with some weathering colours.

This is not planned to be a quick project but is one I am really looking forward too.

Edited by Chris

Today I took delivery of a laser-cut 'scenic board' by Tim Horn. On opening I was greeted with the following sight...

24298023561_05b4179106_b.jpg

Just ten minutes later, with the use of some wood glue and a rubber hammer to add additional force as and when required...

23753686063_7dcf22b5e7_b.jpg

A brilliant bit of kit. All for just £8 too! Now, all I need to do is decide what to put on it!

400mm x 250mm or 15.75" x10" that can give you an SLD using an industrial and a wagon, or a mid size diesel loco (Class 20 something or a 33, but no bigger) between shed and fuel point as per SLD. Or SLD + siding connected by a fiddle-stick? 

Keep going Chris, the mojo must've awakened now!!!

I'm a big Doctor Who fan and, on a previous layout, painted up a 11th Doctor and Amy Pond figure to go with the Hornby Police Box. Tonight I finally got around to painting up a new 12th Doctor and my favourite companion; Clara Oswald.

IMG_6031.JPG

Several years ago I bought some figures for a very cheap price, and the paint job on them soon showed why they were so cheap. However, there was a couple of figures (seen above) in the pack who had suitable clothes and made them ripe for a repaint. A quick lick of primer and then some work with acrylics left me with the photo you can see below. They aren't perfect and I know many people will do a lot better with figure painting, but I think they suggest the Doctor and Clara. Let me know what you think.

IMG_6032.JPG

My plank (plonk) St Michael (see this forum) is being assembled on Tim H's baseboards eventually being 260cm x 25cm toped off with cheap 5€ corkboard varnished and painted and so far no problems.

IMG_20151113_130004.jpg

IMG_20150922_184954.jpg

Edited by ianvolvo46
clarity

What size board is this? Looking very good.

I'm debating whether to use my 'scenic board' as an actual workbench? 40cm isn't a great deal of space to get anything on. However I'll probably change my mind!  

In other news, took delivery of an EWS MFA in Mainline Freight blue late last week. I'm planning on going down the 'James Makin' route of weathering with this, once I've worked up the courage. I've got my eye on a few other items of rolling stock for a possible wagon works micro layout that I'm currently planning in my head.

Hi Chris sorry for the delay in answering, I have 4 boards 2 @ 50cm x 25cm and 2 @ 80cm x 25cm. Because I live in an apartment and my railway room is the roof terrace and I've not enough  space to permanently store them I'm making 2 seperate boards each 130cm x 25cm. Then I'll join them for running sessions (see track plan below). Up to now the boards are standing up to handling very well.

final one(1).jpg

Don't want to hijack your thread Chris so I'll make this my last picture but just to demonstrate how the boards are working for  me, 25cm width is tight but all 4 boards were only £75 in total and ideal for bringing over to Spain.

Ian

IMG_20160127_134314.jpg

Edited by ianvolvo46

IMG_6087.JPG

An old battered gronk I found in my bits box has emerged from the paint shop, resplendent - to my eyes anyway - in it's new navy colour scheme. Some of the white on the handrails is not exactly perfect currently and will need a touch up, however generally I'm pretty pleased with the result. The next plan is to weather it by mixing a lighter version of the blue for the centres of the panels, before adding a darker wash along all the panel lines.

After that, I need to source new windows, and a whole new details pack too, cab handrails, ladders and couplings.

I've had some custom etched nameplates made from the wonderful Narrow Planet to give the loco a name, as I won't give it a number. Given the blue of the beast, I thought that there was only one suitable name...

IMG_6088.JPG

Next week I'm on holiday, and am spending 3 days in York with SWMBO. Amongst the shopping and sight-seeing I've also managed to get her to agree to an afternoon at the National Railway Museum, as well as a trip to the Monk Bar Model Shop - which I've heard good things about. The birthday money I received earlier this week might just come in handy!

So, having given the gronk a nice coat of blue paint, I attacked it this evening to make it look less than resplendent.

Using the same blue and a generous dollop of white acrylic I dry brushed the resultant mix around the middle of the panels to create a sun-bleached appearance on the loco's body work. 

IMG_6125.JPG

There is still some refinement needed, but generally I'm pretty happy. In other news, the nameplates still need attaching, whilst the laserglaze windows have arrived. Today has also seen me order replacement steps and handrails from Bachmann (and what an excellent service they provide when it comes to spares!) and these will be fitted in due course. 

On 2/9/2016, 6:56:11, Chris said:

Quick quiz question;'would I get some of the bits I need for the 37 from the Vi 47 detailing pack?

dependent on which parts you want?

3 hours ago, Jack said:

Looks fantastic Chris! It'll look even better with the plates and windows!

Thanks Jack, that's the next step once I've got the details from Bachy stuck on the chassis.

1 hour ago, CazRail said:

dependent on which parts you want?

I had a look at the pack I had and have decided I'd rather not bodge it, so will wait 'till I can lay my hands on a 37 pack.