wahiba

MonoRailways

It is well over 50 years since I first read Unusual Railways. Since then all forms of guided transport have been of interest, especially monorail. As yet I have to make a model but have plenty of ideas.

Talking recently to one of the original team that put together Milton Keynes I learnt that they proposed a monorail system but the car lobby stopped that. He got trips to France and the USA checking out their various trial systems at the time.

!

Popped in a few years back and saw it. Interestingly on the way back from Cambridge where I think the track was. I beleive there is a line of radio telescopes along the track line.

The linear motor was made by English Electric. I remember seeing it the factory leaning against the wall. They invested in a large autoclave to get the insulation on it. I had only just started there so was never involved or knew any details.

Edited by wahiba

Monorails and non-rail systems that I've seen or travelled on:

150114122636-germany-rail-wuppertal-super-169.jpg

Wuppertal Schwebebahn or Suspension Railway - this German system dates from 1901 and recently acquired new rolling stock, This is the 1970s stock I remember.

2023 - BPLRT, Towards South View.jpg

Singapore - Bukit Panjang LRT using Bombardier built cars similar to those at Gatwick and Stansted airports.

2052 - Changi Airport Skytrain, Terminal 1 and Depot.jpg

Singapore Changi International Airport - Mitsubishi built 'Skytrain' system linking all three terminals with central area both airside and landside.

1046 Singapore - Sentosa Express car at Vivocity.JPG1061 Singapore - Sentosa Express Red Car 2.JPG

Singapore - Hitachi built 'Sentosa Express' monorail linking Sentosa Island entertainment resort with Singapore.

RTV31 front end (1024x766).jpg

UK - The Tracked Hovercraft Ltd Maglev test car RTV 31 in a sorry state at Railworld, Peterborough. in reality, everything there is in a sorry state.

002 Birmingham Maglev 3 (1024x755).jpg

One of the original Birmingham Airport Maglev cars at NRM, York.

Birmingham Airport Air Rail 2.jpg

The 'horizontal funicular' replacement for the Birmingham Airport - Birmingham International Link.

Walking Crane 270316 (1280x925).jpg

Yes it is a form of monorail - A 'Walking Crane' preserved inside the former Swindon Works, now the Designer Centre.

It ran from a single rail at the top and a single rail on the ground.

On 5/13/2015 at 3:18 PM, wahiba said:

Popped in a few years back and saw it. Interestingly on the way back from Cambridge where I think the track was. I beleive there is a line of radio telescopes along the track line.

The linear motor was made by English Electric. I remember seeing it the factory leaning against the wall. They invested in a large autoclave to get the insulation on it. I had only just started there so was never involved or knew any details.

That is the Lords Bridge Observatory which uses the old Lords Bridge railway station on the Oxford-Cambridge line as their control centre and exhibition centre and the former railway route eastwards has 20ft gauge track with some radio telescopes moving along it when required. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mullard_Radio_Astronomy_Observatory

Dave

The Listowel and Ballybunion Railway

I have already posted this elsewhere and I suspect I might be told that this is not really a mono-rail. The railway has fascinated me for some time .  I hope this post is of interest on this thread. 

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2018/12/31/the-listowel-and-ballybunion-railway

I have just purchased "Monorails of the 19th Century" by Adrian S. Garner, (Lightmoor Press) I am looking forward to reading it in the next few weeks.