piermaster

Terminus, All Change!

Thanks Tom,

Most trams will happily negotiate 1st and 2nd radius curves, some tram modellers even cut the webs out between sleepers of flexitrack and can bend the track to around 4 - 6 inches radius!!!  The Bachmann Hong Kong cars are 4-wheel and take anything!!! The Kato Dusseldorf car is a longer 4-wheel vehicle and I've seen them negoiate 6 inch radius!!

Running qualities do vary, one of my Bachmann Hong Kong cars is a really smooth and slow runner, the other Hong Kong Car can be a pain for it doesn't know what slow means!!! The Kato car is a lovely runner but a bit noisy.

Hope this helps,

Thanks very much!! Now to think of more reasons not to have one so I can maintain my bank balance!!

Excellent work!!

A Micro-Layout is born!!!!

Terminus - All Change!!! is now complete with four trams operating it:

69%20in%20street%20120615_zpspuwdqniv.jpBirkenhead 69 leaving the terminus whilst Birkenhead 70 awaits another load of passengers.

70%20at%20Bridge%20120615_zpsgt6bxhw1.jpBirkenhead 70 heads under the bridge as it leaves the heritage street.

Deutsche%20Post%20Car%20120615_zps7zawrwHistoric Deutsche Post Tram pays a visit to the heritage street.

Terminus%20-%20All%20Change%20120615_zpsTerminus - All Change!!! in its entirety.

This layout's website is http://www.tramterminus.webs.com and makes its exhibition debut on 27th June at Braintree & Halstead MRC exhibition, Braintree Arts Centre, 15 Bocking End, Braintree CM7 9AE.  

Cor, Dave. That first photo on that last post is a real winner!

Everything looks superb. I'm not overly a fan of card models (I think the Metcalfe kits are superb, but I don't like the 'flat' finish) but the heritage street looks absolutely great. I hope (and am sure) that the debut exbo will go well.

Website looks a cracker too!

All in all, great work.

Terminus - All Change!!! did its exhibition debut at Braintree & Halstead MRC exhibition on Saturday 27/06/15. It was very well received and I now have 4 exhibition bookings for it in 2016!!

69%20and%2070%20at%20terminus%20270615%2

Birkenhead (Hong Kong) Cars 60 & 70 sitting at the terminus.

69%20at%20Terminus%20270615%201280x936_z

Birkenhead (Hong Kong) 69 at the terminus, the structure is a Hong Kong bus shelter from a commercial kit.

Only downsides at the show were most layouts were put upstairs via a steep narrow staircase and exhibitors lunches were in a nearby pub that was so dog-rough, you wouldn't want to have a fight in it!! Besides, the food was bloody awful!!.

I do love those 'end on' shots, Dave. Question though; is there going to be any sort of 'stop' or is it reliant on the skill of the operator to make sure trams don't plunge off the end of the track at the station?

No Chris, just standard old tramway practice of ending the track without any stop. A buffer stop would be a traffic obstruction and more damage would be caused if a tram ran into one. There was often a pair of grooves beyond where a tram overran and they could simply be pushed back by the crew if a wheelset or two overran, or pulled back by the next tram!

See this photo at East Anglia Transport Museum:

LondonHR218581309122.jpg

Terminus - All Change!! will no doubt acquire overrun grooves as time goes on!!!

Edited by piermaster

Festival of Model Tramways, Croydon - 18/07/15

It was certainly a very busy exhibition with wall-to-wall people!! It was so busy I barely had any time to view other layouts or spend time with traders!!

Here's a few photos:

70%20and%2069%20at%20terminus%20180715%2

70%20and%2069%20at%20terminus%20180715_2

DC%20and%20layout_zpsx6dwjb34.jpg

Yours truly with Terminus - All Change!!

Docklands%20Like%20Railway_zpskr39vrxu.j

Noel Dollimore's Docklands 'Like' Railway micro layout.

Now there are five trams!

The new kid on the block:

Hong%20Kong%2056%20300715%201280x923_zps

A rare Bachmann Hong Kong tram, no.56 commemorating the inauguration of Hong Kong trams in 1904. Although produced by Bachmann, these are extremely rare outside HK. I picked this up in Norwich earlier this week.

Edited by piermaster

Hi all,

Sunday's mini show at Needham Market went very well and I utilised the time to perfect my operating sequence. I found that operating with 6 cars can prove difficult when talking to the punters and I need car that work 100% all the time, found that 4 vehicles is ideal for exhibitions so the fleet now contains:

Hong%20Kong%2056%20at%20viaduct._zps0uus

Bachmann Hong Kong Tram 56 in Hong Kong centenary commemorative livery.

69%20at%20Terminus%20270615%201280x936_z

Bachmann Hong Kong/Birkenhead Tram 69 beside the Hong Kong bus shelter terminus.

Essen%20634%20020815_zpsm3tnafap.jpg

Kato Essen 634 made from a trailer body on a motor chassis - This 'hybrid' is not prototypically accurate but it confused the hell out of the self-styled German tram experts at the Croydon Festival of Model Tramways last September!!!

Deutsche%20Post%20Car%20120615_zps7zawrw

Hobbytrain German Postal Tram used as a Works Car.

There are performance/reliability issues with Bachmann Hong Kong/Birkenhead Car 70 and the Bachmann San Francisco Cable Car, so both have been stored out of use pending future decision.

Dave. 

Terminus - All Change!!! 2016 and part of 2017 exhibition diary:

2016:

12 March: Sawbridgeworth Memorial Hall, The Forebury, off Knight Street, Sawbridgeworth CM21 9B

23 April: Rushden Model Railway Exhibition, Rushden Academy, Hayway, Rushden NN10 6AG 

30 April: Market Deeping Model Railway Club, Stamford Welland Academy, Green Lane, Stamford PE9 1HE

2 & 3 July: Festival of Model Tramways, Manchester Museum of Transport, Boyle Street, Manchester M8 8LW

10 September: Bishop's Stortford Railway Society, Birchwood High School, Parsonage Lane, Bishop's Stortford CM23 5BD

2017:

18 November: Royston & District Model Railway Club, Bassingbourn Village College, South End, Bassingbourn SG8 5NJ

Just read the thread, very interesting to say the least. You certainly will be busy over the coming year with the exhibitions. Good luck, but I doubt you'll need it ! :thumbsup:

Question for you. Have you considered removing the card and replacing with DAS clay that has been scribed or pressed ? I have seen some models where DAS clay that has been transformed to cobble stones by using different size ferrule from some old paintbrushes.

Cheers, Gary.

This is my first Christmas in Britain for some years, as we normally spend it in France. I have never been so bored and disappointed with a British Christmas so back to France for future Christmases.

To prevent myself from going completely mad looking at the same rubbish tv, and the same rubbish ritual of an over-priced over-rated and poorly cooked 3-course Christmas Lunch in a gourmet restaurant (since when was turkey a gourmet dish?) followed by me spending the rest of Christmas Day with stomach ache and its associated symptoms. I spent a few hours digging up figures in my many bits boxes and went about populating my trams:

Car%209%20interior%20fit%20261215_zpsaaq Hobbytrain/Kato Deutsche Post Tram 9 dismantled and driver stuck on headlamp mounting.

Car%209%20261215_zpsolnjjths.jpg Deutsche Post Tram 9 with driver.

Car%2056%20interior%20fit%20261215_zpswb Bachmann (China) Hong Kong Tram 56 dismantled and passengers upstairs and downstairs and driver in position.

Car%2056%20261215_zpsf66zkwmk.jpg Hong Kong Car 56 with driver and passengers.

Car%2069%20261215_zpszky39rvk.jpg Bachmann Hong Kong/Birkenhead Tram 69 complete with crew and passengers.

I know this is not exactly earth-shattering high-tech modelling, but a simple thing like adding a crew and a few passengers suddenly brings your models to life!!!

After a long conversation on the Facebook Tramway Modelling Group, I was given some useful tips about populating model trams, as a result here's what I've done today:

Car%209%20100116%201280x962_zpsmid27u2u.

Hobbytrain Deutsche Post Tram 9 now has a driver in each cab, and the trolley pole replaced by a Sommerfeldt lyre collector.

Car%2056%20100116%201280x923_zpsx76pxtcn

Both Hong Kong 56 and Birkenhead 69 have had their upper deck figures removed due to low headroom and are now crewed both ends.

Car%20M41%20100116%201280x958_zpsipaoyzh

Salzburg Works Car M41 double-crewed with appropriately kitted crew!

Car%204%20100116%201280x958_zps7oljkts0.

San Francisco Cable Car 4 with gripman and 4 passengers displaced from the upper decks of the HK cars.

All this was done on my worktray in front of the laptop whilst discussing the issue on that Facebook group!!