piermaster

Terminus, All Change!

Hi piermaster

Coming together nicely.

Is the layout early enough for the now familiar red pillar box to be green ? If you choose to have one may I

be so bold as to suggest a hexagonal one instead of round one.

I take it on bin day the bins would be in a back alley instead of on the street?

I can almost see Steptoe and Son plying there trade :D .

regards John

Hi John, It's supposed to be a heritage tramway in a heritage setting, bit like Beamish: 

BeamishTram196_zpsb6f2a52a.jpg

It would be red hexagonal pillar boxes, a horse and cart, Model Scenes (ex-Merit) street lamps (modified or wall mounting), and support poles for the overhead span wires.

On Peter Boyt's 'Crikey' tramway layout, the overhead wires are dummy and none of the cars run with their trolley poles up. The same will happen here for the Hong Kong tram model used by Bachmann is a single-ended car representing double-ended cars and the models trolley pole doesn't swivel! I may just fit the span wires. 

I'll be working in Glasgow later this week and will pick up some bits at Modelrail Scotland on the Friday.

Cheers,

Dave

Another half-day's work done today, It doesn't sound much but it was time consuming:

• Finished off the paving - under the bridge, Metcalfe cobblestone card used to make life a bit easier.
  • Sealed up gaps in the plastic cobblestone sheets using slivers of card, Blu-Tack (which goes hard once painted) and thick coating of paint!
  • Painted road surface throughout, weathering wash to be done.
  • Found 4 Model Scene gas lights and stuck them in place - bases will be painted to disguise them.
  • Added Harburn Hobbies hexagonal post box to street.

That'll do for at least a week.

Dave

Edited by piermaster

Hi piermaster

That is starting to look very promising the devil really is going to be in the detail.

Stay away from that sweet shop :D

Will you be running single and double decker trams or just double deckers??

regards John

Hi all,

I kept looking at the Wills cobblestone paving I laid and kept thinking "It looks like a dog's breakfast" so up it came and in a fraction of the time I laid Metcalfe cobblestone card sheets. Oh, I bought a 1950s Mechanical Horse dustcart and a Milk Float with that roof advert that people like Bob and I remember from our childhood days 'Drinka Pinta Milka Day'.

I think it looks a a lot better now:

Now start saving up for the overhead!!

Dave

Edited by piermaster

Saturday 14/03/15:

Whilst at Sawbridgeworth show, bought a handful of figures for £3!!

Sunday 15/03/15:

Tested the micro-layout - IT WORKS!!! Just ordered overhead poles and some wire.

Need a works tram - I think another Bachmann Hong Kong Car done up as Hong Kong Works Car 400:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/94402932@N00/8719613646/in/photostream/

More photos will follow.

Dave

:) May I suggest to replace the paving, that printed one spoils completely an otherwise very good ensemble!

It's just my opinion of course.

Edited by Franco

:) May I suggest to replace the paving, that printed one spoils completely an otherwise very good ensemble!

It's just my opinion of course.

Hi Franco, 

I tried using the Wills cobblestone plastic sheets and it looked like a dog's breakfast,so up it came and replaced by the Metcalfe card sheets.

Dave

Have you considered using DAS or similar products? I experimented it on an old layout and the effect was very good, I admit it's quite a long process but the final result is worth the time spent on it. :)

Now getting things ready for this micro-layout's exhibition debut at the Braintree & Halstead MRC exhibition, at Braintree Arts Theatre, 15 Bocking End, Braintree CM7 9AE on Saturday 27 June.

70%20and%2069%20at%20terminus%20170415_z

Bachmann Hong Kong/Birkenhead Cars 70 & 69 at the terminus with a 1960s/70s Hong Kong bus shelter.

Still have 5 weeks to go, so I'm not panicking yet!!!!

Edited by piermaster

Looking nice!! 

One thing i must ask, I'm considering a few working trams myself but i'd like to know what they are like going around bends? The track id need would be at best second radius likely first? How do they behave??

Thanks, 

Tom

Thanks Tom,

Most trams will happily negotiate 1st and 2nd radius curves, some tram modellers even cut the webs out between sleepers of flexitrack and can bend the track to around 4 - 6 inches radius!!!  The Bachmann Hong Kong cars are 4-wheel and take anything!!! The Kato Dusseldorf car is a longer 4-wheel vehicle and I've seen them negotiate 6 inch radius!!

Running qualities do vary, one of my Bachmann Hong Kong cars is a really smooth and slow runner, the other Hong Kong Car can be a pain for it doesn't know what slow means!!! The Kato car is a lovely runner but a bit noisy.

Hope this helps,

Edited by piermaster