piermaster

Terminus, All Change!

Hi Team,

Got a nice bonus from one of my clients and treated myself to these two:

BirkenheadTrams_zpsf2764f94.jpg

Bachmann Hong Kong style Birkenhead Trams 70 (left) and 69 (right). The prototypes were built in Hong Kong for the Wirral Transport Museum at Birkenhead.

Tamper Training Centre has fallen by the wayside and the board and trackplan is ideal for a tramway microlayout;

None of this will be a £20.15 project for I've already spent over £30 on Metcalfe low relief housing!!!

More will follow!!!

Edited by piermaster

Hi Dave

Shame about the TTC

You could always call this one Steptoe Lane ;) :D.

This looks very interesting don't forget the pub and local shop particularly the pub.

You do realise after Esselty (spelling) you have set your self up with a very tough act to follow,

and I don't envy you stringing the wires.

regards John

Hi piermaster

"They got the Rose and Crown" They must have done it's not on the end of the row :D

That's quite a back drop just needs a bracketed gas lamp and wall mounted street name sign in the appropriate places.

Are you gong to put some gold tops out side some of the doors complete with that annoying bottle pecker bird, 

or is it later in the day and dog and lamp post perhaps?.

You can really get stuck in with the detail so many options so little space.

Who said a bunch of card board houses isn't photogenic, it certainly won't be boring.

You are a railway modeller a bit late to worry about mundane thing's like sanity ;) but worthy of a decent pint at least lol

regards John

Thanks Guys, no sticky fingers as such, no pints needed, and yes, the patience of a saint!!!

Must get the houses ready for sticking on to the board, but it's too cold to work in the garage!!

Next item ordered is a Hong Kong Tram Shelter: http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m5eWE65Q6ZEdgaVqrSufvXQ.jpg

and that won't arrive until late February!

Hi piermaster

Are you able to have paved track in front of the houses then go into reserved track just as it goes off scene??

That might add a little bit more scenic interest??

How do you plan on having it disappear off scene??

The mock up looks pretty good.

regards John

Hi John,

That board is only 30" long!! So not enough room for reserved track. I might change the terminus to a single end stub, but whatever I do it has to be inset track and that means laying thick card/board throughout to rail level and infill the track. Model tramway layouts tend not have a scenic break but as I'l be using Peco Locolifts to shunt/move my two trams at the opposite end, then I'll go for a front screen to hide then as per Essellty.

Thanks for your comments so far.

Dave

Hi piermaster

Dangerous thought run your view block / End  scene like Esselty...

If the trams will get under them use Triang brick bridges ( usually reasonably priced on evil bay ) as the bridge if you decide its a single tram track

the second arch can have a business in it with a single line railway on top and a low relief brake van at the back scene.

This of course assumes there is enough room to use full Triang brick bridges as part of the end scene.

Just a thought

regards John

Hi John,

That board is only 30" long!! So not enough room for reserved track. I might change the terminus to a single end stub, but whatever I do it has to be inset track and that means laying thick card/board throughout to rail level and infill the track. Model tramway layouts tend not have a scenic break but as I'l be using Peco Locolifts to shunt/move my two trams at the opposite end, then I'll go for a front screen to hide then as per Essellty.

Thanks for your comments so far.

Dave

Hi Dave,

For inset track I always use fab foam. Brilliant stuff that works a treat.

Tried out the single tram stub terminus:

Alternative%20Mock%20up%20080215_zpsgwfe

NO!!! Too simple and lacks atmosphere.

I think this is a more realistic layout. It could provide an interesting operating pattern too. If the terminus is on the double track inbound cars would stop for the passengers to alight, then run empty onto the single track section where the trolley pole would be reversed. When ready to depart the outbound car would run empty to the terminus and stop to pick up passengers before departing. With section switching the layout could accommodate three cars on stage, one just arrived, a second standing empty on the single track and a third about to depart.

post-458-0-05129700-1423609486_thumb.jpg

Further developments!

Thanks Bob for the track plan idea, the model tramway experts advised me that is great for continental systems, but not on UK systems,

Bought a Metcalfe stone viaduct kit and assembled one arch and end walls which takes up the 8" board width, and the arch easily accommodates most double-deck trams, but only at single track. Sorry Bob, your idea won't work. At 4" wide this viaduct makes a powerful entrance/exit view blocker.

Terminus%20-%20All%20Change%20120615_zps

Alan Kirkman a very well-known and noted tramway modeller in OO advised me to go for a double track terminus, so to quote his words ".... that a second track at the terminus does enable a "spare" tram to stand in full view so it's "Always A Tram In Sight".

By the way, the rest of the viaduct kit will be used on the Stowmarket Railway Club's Inglenook Sidings layout which I start after Easter. Nothing is wasted!!!

More to follow!!

Dave

Edited by piermaster

Further developments!

Thanks Bob for the track plan idea, the model tramway experts advised me that is great for continental systems, but not on UK systems,

Dave

Not really, as bi-directional coaches are not allowed to circulate anymore, since ages the "continental solution" is the loop.

The Turin's tramway historical society had to remove all the apparatus from the rear cab of its 1911 coach n° 116 to put it back on tracks and the same on the 1924 n° 502 :)

P.S. I forgot to mention that all the above is referred to historical rolling stock only!

Edited by Franco