David Hennessey

Fablewood (Coed y Chwedlau)

Thanks for posting John, watched it right through, Some great layouts and a good show. David  so nice to see Fablewood in action at last :thumbsup:   Having watched the build progress its great to see it in action and you should be well pleased with the results !  Well done mate :cheers:

Cheers

Matt

On 4/29/2016 at 11:15 AM, buz said:

Hi David

Found this on Youtube  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPw6-fZWq94

your on it at about 11:45 minutes very impressive slow running and looks very good to.

regards John

Hello John! Sorry for the late reply; not been in for a while...

Aye, that was filmed by a good friend of mine who was dropping in for a visit. A good job he made of the Fablewood clips as well!

And another outing is on the cards. On Monday 30th May 2016, Fablewood is scheduled to be attending a gala event in Rainhill, as part of a small model railway display.

Hello, David here!

All is quiet with Fablewood at the moment; no further work has been done, but due to another exhibition appearance (which I'll explain in a tick), it is likely that things will be perking up again shortly. Watch out for an update coming soon...

Fablewood's next exhibition outing is on Saturday 22nd October 2016, at the Stephenson Model Railway Group's third annual exhibition being held near Rainhill, Merseyside. The show runs from 10:00 in the morning till 17:00 in the afternoon, and Fablewood is among nine layouts appearing, as well as a few traders and modelling demonstrations.

The venue is the Old Guide Hall located on the corner of Old Land and Stoney Lane near Rainhill; five minutes or so away from the village centre. Entry is £2.50 Adult and £1.50 Child (Under 5's free), and refreshments are also available.

For more information, visit the SMRG's website at: http://www.stephensonmrg.org.uk

Updates coming soon!

October 2016

Time for a rather overdue update with progress...

Since May 2016 when Fablewood was last out, yours truly has taken a break from working on it, while figuring out what needs to be done next. But with another recent exhibition appearance on the cards, a few minor things had to be put in order.

We'll take a look at a few small examples. First off, the field beside the cottages now boasts some grazing sheep and a gentleman out for a stroll along the footpath. However, there are one or two rebels in this flock; one is eating the flowers out of one of the cottage gardens...

30284890690_d720e867c8_c.jpg

...and another is wandering up the road towards the level crossing, where the Peco fencing also received some attention, and one of the trees which had been knocked down, was glued back into position with more scatter laid down around it...

30284888160_eb2597a7f9_c.jpg

The goods yard has also been seen to as well. The platform now boasts a Ratio goods crane (painted brown), and a few items have been added. A porter is moving milk churns over to the road loading area, and a few oil drums are awaiting collection. Meanwhile, the coal bunker now has a load of it's own; pink foam material cut to shape, painted black twice, and real crushed coal scattered over a layer of PVA glue. Not sure if I got the size of the coal pile correct, but I'll let you decide.

30547749626_43718b92b0_c.jpg

Five months back, I bolstered the steam fleet by taking delivery of a Peco 'Glyn Valley Tramway' style tram locomotive, which was purchased from the 009 Society's sales department. She's currently running in the livery it came in (though some slight touching up had to be done), but a repaint may be on the cards in the not too distant future. Here she is, with a passenger service at Fablewood station.

30584054555_c7b26a1d36_c.jpg

A few more passengers have been added to the station platforms, and a postman has turned up to do his usual near-daily collection of the local mail (passengers travelling on the trains and the cottage occupants often post letters/postcards into the letterbox outside the station, hence the post van coming out on an almost daily basis).

Fablewood enjoyed it's third and final exhibition outing for 2016, when it attended the Stephenson Model Railway Group's third annual one-day show, on Saturday 22nd October 2016. The layout performed very well, and was met with more positive comments from the public. Here are a few scenes taken during this exhibition appearance.

30584052105_c8e47e8655_c.jpg

30467367702_87047bb338_c.jpg

30467366802_bc6711c2b0_c.jpg

30547739576_bcb833c663_c.jpg

30496158691_7ac3f0d98e_c.jpg

30496157781_9daccc0324_c.jpg

29950402993_ea8d2e9e5e_c.jpg

29950400123_cf7a2c44b7_c.jpg

So what's next, you might ask? One of the next tasks is to have some of the permanent way weathered (namely oil spillage and used ballast; if anyone has any tips on how to go about this task, feel free to speak up), and to fit some perspex in front of the layout. However, it won't be permanent; it would only be fitted for exhibition outings, and removed at home for photography purposes.

For now though, comments welcomed as always.

On 26/10/2016 at 8:42 PM, David Hennessey said:

So what's next, you might ask? One of the next tasks is to have some of the permanent way weathered (namely oil spillage and used ballast; if anyone has any tips on how to go about this task, feel free to speak up), and to fit some perspex in front of the layout. However, it won't be permanent; it would only be fitted for exhibition outings, and removed at home for photography purposes.

For now though, comments welcomed as always.

Well, weathering should normally be made "before" but, (as it's never too late ;) (;) all I could say would be in the order:

select areas to weather and the which effect you want to obtain (oil, grease, coal, others) then put a very small amount of colour and "wash" it with a suitable brush (better square tip) and water, remember that the best effect comes from multiple thin layers more than from a single thick one. More than all, take your time, you've made a really good job and would be a pity to spoil it just because of the hurry. :thumbsup: 

Edited by Franco

2 hours ago, Franco said:

Well, weathering should normally be made "before" but, (as it's never too late ;) (;) all I could say would be in the order:

select areas to weather and the which effect you want to obtain (oil, grease, coal, others) then put a very small amount of colour and "wash" it with a suitable brush (better square tip) and water, remember that the best effect comes from multiple thin layers more than from a single thick one. More than all, take your time, you've made a really good job and would be a pity to spoil it just because of the hurry. :thumbsup: 

Thank you Franco!

Hi David

Well, that is looking good all most would be a shame to weather the track.

As Franco said it's usually done earlier than now I would start with some oil and gunge where the loco's usually stop in the station.

Some cigarette ash would be handy for where the ash pan has been raked out harder to get now since smokers are now social outcasts.

Some coal should really have been mixed in with the ballast at the coal bin when it was first done.

Where the signal box is, get that broken fence rail glued to the one below before it breaks off completely (if you have not already done so) that is a nice touch.

Have a look at where if anywhere the ballast needs repairs and perhaps add some older coloured ballast that might work.

As Franco says little at a time until you have the effect you want don't spoil it now by rushing.

ERR you might want to put a driver in the red open cabed loco.

regards John

18 hours ago, buz said:

Hi David

Well, that is looking good all most would be a shame to weather the track.

As Franco said it's usually done earlier than now I would start with some oil and gunge where the loco's usually stop in the station.

Some cigarette ash would be handy for where the ash pan has been raked out harder to get now since smokers are now social outcasts.

Some coal should really have been mixed in with the ballast at the coal bin when it was first done.

Where the signal box is, get that broken fence rail glued to the one below before it breaks off completely (if you have not already done so) that is a nice touch.

Have a look at where if anywhere the ballast needs repairs and perhaps add some older coloured ballast that might work.

As Franco says little at a time until you have the effect you want don't spoil it now by rushing.

ERR you might want to put a driver in the red open cabed loco.

regards John

Thank you John. Regarding the 'broken' bit of fence, it has since been replaced... I tried fitting a 'Bachmann' engine crew in the cab of the red locomotive, but it was a bit awkward.

11th and 12th November 2016

On Friday 11th and Saturday 12th November 2016, Fablewood made a surprise public outing. Only it wasn't to an exhibition somewhere in the North West, but a very unlikely location... The store of Hatton's Model Railways! (The one relocated from it's old base at Smithdown Road in Liverpool, to the present base on Montague Road near Widnes)

The shop was marking it's 70th anniversary, and contacted me three days earlier to ask if I wouldn't mind bringing Fablewood down, to form a small display as part of the festivities. Well, this was one offer too good to refuse, and I was only too happy to oblige (not to mention being honoured to help mark a very special milestone for the former Liverpool-based business)!

Fablewood performed very well as usual, and shop customers showed great interest and left very kind comments. Below, is a selection of pictures taken over the two days of operation...

22803679958_025396c763_c.jpg

30865726512_61304b579d_c.jpg

22803674508_ec9f536d66_c.jpg

30893831631_80b8bdcd51_c.jpg

30865718582_4ce164d9cd_c.jpg

30865716212_0deb64283e_c.jpg

22803666208_5ce29f1289_c.jpg

22803663948_ccc4dedbd8_c.jpg

22803662208_d6f7e9430e_c.jpg

22803660458_67ecfe8efa_c.jpg

30893814941_56aa8e4c85_c.jpg

25346360599_576ea73760_c.jpg

30893807411_4ebde782dc_c.jpg

30893803151_232940ed5a_c.jpg

Yours truly, in his element!

30946647246_1ef828c587_c.jpg

(For those wondering what the 00 is on the left, it's the shop's 00 scale DCC layout called Atlantic Road TMD. This was on display alongside my own setup, and had a variety of DCC chipped locos in action).

A great few days out, and as mentioned earlier, it was a real honour to be part of a very special occasion for Hatton's.

Comments welcomed as always.

2 hours ago, mattc6911 said:

What a lovely surprise David ! It's been good to watch this one grow from simple beginnings into a lovely little layout to inspire others. Well done mate 

Cheers

Matt

Trust me Matt, it was a fantastic surprise! :D

Thanks!

On 30/10/2016 at 3:13 AM, David Hennessey said:

Thank you John. Regarding the 'broken' bit of fence, it has since been replaced... I tried fitting a 'Bachmann' engine crew in the cab of the red locomotive, but it was a bit awkward.

Have you tried the driver from the model scene set sold by Peco this is I think the ex-Merit crew failing that try a metal crew figure no awkward base to worry about.

On a small loco like that you would probably only have a driver

Mind you an over crewed B class would look nice with sander, coal breaker, fireman and driver

regards John

7 hours ago, buz said:

Have you tried the driver from the model scene set sold by Peco this is I think the ex-Merit crew failing that try a metal crew figure no awkward base to worry about.

On a small loco like that you would probably only have a driver

Mind you an over crewed B class would look nice with sander, coal breaker, fireman and driver

regards John

Thanks for that John. Shall have to look out for that...

55 minutes ago, Franco said:

So we know what you look like too. :) (:

Aye, not so often you get to see my mug up on here! :D

Thanks for commenting gentlemen!

March 2017

Time for a long overdue update, after four well deserved months off!

During a recent visit to Model Rail Scotland 2017, a Minitrains Bagnall 'Wingtank' 0-4-0 was acquired. A sweet little runner and worth the investment! (Incidentally, she is also the first RTR model on Fablewood, the other engines being of 3D printed and kit form.) Also, a trio of the recently released Peco 'FR style' slate wagons were picked up. Again, sweet little runners, and will help Fablewood to start taking on the Welsh narrow gauge theme it is intended to represent.

33067316391_7f1b09fa09_c.jpg

An Oxford Diecast 1950's Massey Ferguson tractor makes an appearance too. Although there is no room for a farm on Fablewood, a little artistic licence is employed here; although the railway doesn't carry regular freight anymore, perhaps a local farmer has requested his new acquisition to be delivered by rail, or maybe the tractor has already been unloaded and is awaiting further collection? Who knows? It looks a good model anyway...

32379851083_c988a05bc5_c.jpg

Another addition to the motive power front, is another Chris Ward 3D printed 'Fairlie'. I've had the body since last year, but have not got round to doing it up until now. Running on a Kato 106 chassis and turned out in scarlet red with cream lettering, the Fairlie is going for the 'James Spooner' look, with no cab roof (nearly prototypical of the real life machine). There are still a few outstanding bits to be done on her (handrails, more painting and a little sprucing up), but she already looks the part, especially when paired up with the Peco slate wagons!

32350121154_99b6821614_c.jpg

Fablewood will be making it's first 2017 exhibition outing in April, when it is booked to appear at a show hosted by Southport Model Railway Club on Saturday 29th. More details to follow, as and when they are confirmed.

More progress to follow, as it unfolds. Comments welcomed as usual.

April 2017

Fablewood's 2017 exhibition program got underway earlier than scheduled on Saturday 1st April, when it made a last minute appearance at the 009 Society's AGM and Narrow Gauge Model Railway Show in Rainford, Merseyside. Following an emergency call ten days earlier, Fablewood's appearance went down well with visitors, despite minor issues with dirt getting into the pointwork.

A few shots taken on the day, are as follows...

33432764110_ec72ed064c_c.jpg

33432762190_d15524e0dc_c.jpg

32974482834_84c61af8c0_c.jpg

33776925206_97eeab3e0c_c.jpg

33817703045_8be0839d2e_c.jpg

33688117831_02a62df6a8_c.jpg

33004334873_80e80bef2f_c.jpg

33004331633_cc32b3a6c4_c.jpg

33817692305_3f34ec38df_c.jpg

33817688955_91d9a05f12_c.jpg

33688109881_81718a73cc_c.jpg

33688088551_6f4b07501b_c.jpg

Fablewood's next scheduled outing, is to the Southport Model Railway Show on Saturday 29th April 2017.

Comments welcomed as always.

1 hour ago, Chris said:

David, what a charming layout you have there.

And nerves of steel... I'm not sure I'd let my locos run that close to an un-fenced edge personally!

Glad to see the layout getting plenty of bookings; you've captured the narrow gauge appeal perfectly.

Thank you Chris! I will shortly be erecting some clear perspex to the front of the layout for exhibition appearances, to stop any errant fingers touching the scenics and stock.

Really looking forward to taking this out on the road often!