Chris

Phono Plugs

Question

Hi all,

Recall once on here having a conversation about phono plugs from Maplin being used as a way of getting power about? I'm thinking of using them as a way of plugging my controller in to my new layout?

Does anyone have a link for both them and the socket for the plug please?

Thanks.

5 answers to this question

Hi Richard,

they are not quite the things I was after but they could well do the job. They'd be fine to use on to connect a controller to a socket connected to the track wouldn't they? As my new layout plan revolves around two electrical feeds, but as they'd only be used one at a time and I have a simple Hornby controller I figure it would be the best way?

Hi Chris,

Yes phono plugs would work, although the connectors to the tracks are usually designed to be mounted on a circuit board. 

By the sounds of it, you would have to do this:

Controller > Phono Socket (Female) > Phono Cable (Male to Male) > Phono Socket (Female) > Track

What kind of connector comes out of the controller to go to the track?

G`day Chris,

Phono plugs are usually limited in that they have possibly only two connections. I have purchased Microphone plugs for my analogue set up. You can go up to 8 pins (connectors). The male and female parts of the connection actually screw together so it can`t be accidently pulled out. They are fairly cheap if you search about on Ebay.

Here`s one such example...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-4-5-6-8-Pins-Microphone-Chassis-Sockets-Plugs-Male-Female-CB-Ham-Radio-/181038837673?var=&hash=item2a26c16fa9:m:muEHFwYj8M-tzlhKeMU6koQ

:cheers:  Gormo