Highlander66

Loch Garry

So, went to my 'local' model shop (45 minute drive away) to pick up some paints, thinners, and some scatter but became distracted by some locos that were in the display cabinet... So my older class 67's are being replaced with these newer models and I couldn't resist the 66 in a weathered DB Schenker livery or the 60 which has DCC Sound.... Oh, and a couple of coaches - 2 Pullman to add to my West Coast Charter train and a Royal Train sleeping car - I only went for some paint and scatter, honest :angelnot:

I did manage to crack on though and prime the platform canopy ready for painting and glazing next week, while that's been drying I made progress with installing some point motors.  Just on these Cobalt iP motors, a breeze to wire up with push button switches and get going with next to no effort, but I'm having no joy in getting dual colour LED's to function as intended - I didn't want too much clutter on my control panel and opted for red/green LED's rather than separate ones but only one colour is working, must be doing something wrong on the wiring front :cry:

thumb_IMG_3761_1024.thumb.jpg.d0c16e0d0f

thumb_IMG_3768_1024.thumb.jpg.5a818bbcad

thumb_IMG_3764_1024.thumb.jpg.0a32e1ee6d

thumb_IMG_3762_1024.thumb.jpg.9a5dc3c2bc

Ok, so with some help from the guys at DCC Concepts I have been able to wire up a Cobalt iP point motor with a push button switch and a bi-colour LED that cam pre-wired with resistor (their website was not at all helpful on current state knowledge for wiring):disgusted:, but while that is an objective (building the control panel) over the Christmas break I have spent the past couple of days continuing to work on some scenic stuff.... My God it's a pain, but it has to be done.  I've altered the scenic backboards a little, added depth as a result of that move and put in another module of hills which have been painted with a base layer and some scatter added - I think it's coming together, but very slowly.

:confused:

IMG_3796.thumb.jpg.21a1905f4ebd1bad0e406

The additional module being sculpted on the bench to slot in behind the existing hills - goes over the entrance to the fiddle yard, so tunnel portals to build now as well.

IMG_3797.thumb.jpg.ecf451bb785ac28f5ce52

Module in situ with plasterwork painted and base scatter applied

IMG_3799.thumb.jpg.decaa8a77f62b11e827ac

Rock outcrops to add and paint the gully before doing the water effects

IMG_3801.thumb.jpg.216d372ee27e0f8998ef0

Trees, bushes etc not looking too bad, though I say so myself...  Once the ballasting has been done along with weathering and other ground works I'll place the trackside fencing and it should look a lot better (I think).  Station platforms are progressing too, hope to have some good pics of that work very shortly now that my station roof has been primed for painting.

IMG_3800.jpg

Hi,

I like the class 33's in west coast livery. I recognise them, Glen Loy and Glen Falloch........mmmmm....... Wonder how that is... :D

the 37's are the stars of the show though.

cheers

toto

I love my 37's, I grew up with them - that noise bouncing off the sides of the glens asa the powered up north towards Inverness.... Ah those were the days of my summer holidays back home... Yikes, getting all misty eyed and nostalgic :cry:.  Have you taken a look at what's on offer here http://www.marksmodels.com/?cid=433 the Pound is strong against the lowly Euro right now and they might prevent reasonable value?

Nice one ! That west coast 37 does it for me 

Cheers

Matt

Thanks Matt - yes, I have a bit of a '37' thing... Childhood nostalgia I think, I like some of the modern traction but 37's and 26's were my 'first love' so to speak.  The 37 does suit the West Coast livery particularly well although Heljan did a nicer replication of it I think on the 33's.

Just seen this thread! Great stuff1

Thanks Caz, it's a mighty slow affair - work and other stuff are the main distraction, and because it's in the loft above my garage I tend to rely upon the weather not being too rough either (getting soft) although I did put a space heater up there this winter.  I like the video you did with the class 67 - I have four of the type (2 older and 2 of the latest tooling) and I've my 43's off to Legoman for re-blowing from the shockingly poor Olivia's so the 67's may follow shortly based on your sound.

Got to work on my first ever control panel today, MDF construction with A3 size schematic, the Perspex is due to arrive on Monday so we'll see how that goes when I have to drill all the holes... The intent is to construct scenery around it now rather than have the box stand out on its own.image.thumb.jpeg.90d89f4ae09518c7b79d269

image.thumb.jpeg.df6eb9b5adc867178c5d93c

Wow... the last time I saw this thread the track was laid and the basic scenery was going down. What a transformation! The scenery is spot on and looks amazing especially now you've started to add the lights.

I am very jealous of your 37 collection, would love to see some more photos of those! 

Keep up the great work,

Lewis

Major news/update...

Loch Garry is no more - disassembly is very well advanced.  Mad? perhaps, yes, but I wasn't feeling warm and fuzzy with where it was going and I felt that I could do better with the space I have available, so it's out with the old.  I hope to have a quiet-isn time at work over the coming weeks and will post updates as I progress.  I had reason to be in Cardiff last week and took the chance to pop in to see Lord & Buttler - purchased one of their limited edition 66's with Legoman Biffo sound, and a few bits 'n' bobs that are a challenge to find in Ireland.

Sorry to hear about the loss of the layout. But as with anything on here, the replacement will always be an improvement. So I look forward to seeing what happens!

As with the sound 66, I hope the neighbours don't complain ;) (;