Phil

Pen y Bryn

These picture from the start  of this thread are taken at various stages of construction, so some will have a backscene and will have more detailing than others. 

A5_zpsed68b3de.jpg

11A_zpsb08c6d87.jpg

2_zpsa0399ecf.jpg

This is about half of the layout, it's 18' x 10' in size. My old Scalespeed controller still in place. The room is above a double garage, the hatch can just be seen at the bottom of the picture.

1_zps59ab2162.jpg

This is the other end of the layout, the area in front of the window blinds has yet to be modelled, I'm still thinking what to put there.

Forum1.jpg

Still trying to work out if this is real or not  ;)

Fantastic work as always Phil! You seem to have quite an impressive mixing desk there too! Would be impressive if you could use the sliders for each loco...

My brother who is also a modeller has had etched colliery drams made, they are accurate in scale, I gave him the measurements from a few that are in the country park in front of my house. They are typically the ones used in South Wales collieries. He will be ordering more soon so if anyone is interested please PM me. In the meantime, here's a picture of the originals and the etched model parts. I will post pictures as I put them together.

Phil

Drams_zps0ef30c0d.jpg

Etcheddramparts_zps03f2c8d0.jpg

Are you Chris Nevard in disguise? :-)

Seriously brilliant modelling. I'm more of a modern image man myself, but wowsers, you can't deny that the railways had far more atmosphere back in the days of kettles.

Can not wait to see more, and the progression of the bit in front of the window sills.

Amazing, thank you for sharing.

Here's a birds eye view Jamie.

Phil

attachicon.gifClose up1200.jpg

Hi Phil

I thought for a minute you were going to give me a bird's eye view of your hand, instead of your thumb while I was waiting for the picture to load,... lol  :D  lol  :D....  ;)

well worth the wait the picture is quality mate, is that smoke rising from the house chimney I can see or part of the back scene.... on the picture above last.... impressive anyway dude.

Jamie

Edited by 7APT7

It's smoke, I just wanted to show that the coal in the dram was real... it did take a while though to get the fire going :D  :D  :D

Just in case some guys are wondering what the RH23 on the dram is. Every morning the yard foreman has a list of materials needed underground, these were loaded into the drams ie. Flats, (logs sawn down the middle) lags,(small logs about 3' long to fix between the rings) rings, ( curved H section girders to form a half circle to form the "tunnel" and hold the roof up)  etc.

The drams were then sent underground, this was called a journey, the drams were marked in chalk to show which district they were meant for, ie. RH23.

It was also common practice to drop off drams filled with coal at various points to supply coal for workers cabins, ie the above pictures.

Phil