Thornton Road, Virgin west coast in 2003

Hi MRLers!
Well, about time I should let you know about the other layout I have... The newly named Thornton Road
My already built, well I say already built, kinda half built undergoing refurbishment layout is set in roughly 2003 and is set in the transition period when 86/87/90/HSTs where bowing out and the lovely (though hated by spotters, I quite like them) Pendolinos, Voyagers and 57/3s ( :D) where coming into service.
Thought it will be multi-era as I have lots of current scene things, for example Alstom Pendolino, pretendolino, DBS livery shed etc etc, and with the GBRf 20901 and DRS 57309/307 on the way there will be a few things parked on the layout too.
It has 5 platforms, 4 through platforms and 1 bay, a thunderbird/loco bay and at the back of what is platform 1 an ex parcel siding which is now a loco storage bay and is used to park a DMU in between it's runs to Liverpool and back as it shares the line with a Central trains 156 working up and down to Derby/Nottingham and Leiceter etc with platform 4 being used for services to Manchester. 2 and 3 will be the two main lines which will be served by Virgin West Coast/Cross Country. I have 1 rake of West Coast coaches built up and I need to invest in some more nice virgin locos. Also need quite a few Virgin livery mk.2/mk.3s so any offers people?
So guys that's a fairly brief explanation of what my layout is and knowing me by the next update there will be a brand new layout lol!

Tom

Edited by Swifty11Productions

When wil we see some model layout building mate :) and lots of photos :)

Neil remember this is ME your talking about...

It's pritty much built, just needs to be scenic'd and more trains! Neil you got any VT coaches, or ideas for a name

Yer got few virgin trains coaches in our club shop,what mk coach you want?? mk2 or mk3... tbh... :)

Don't mind, how much would you be wanting, although may have to save some pocket money...

Quick picture, give you an idea of the layout.

Here is the at the time brand new 67001 working a charter a few weeks back on the now platform 3 line, amazing what yo can get done over the summer hols as I've built the platforms there and finished ballasting, this loco will eventually become 67022.. I'll upload some pics shortly

9581398852_78fbcee3c4_b.jpg

67001 1Z92 Northern Belle ECS by Swifty11Productions, on Flickr

Edited by Swifty11Productions

Well new train is on her way, one that's perfect for the layout era wise. She will look lovely in the south bay.

http://www.locomotionmodels.com/model-railways/oo-gauge-4mm/nrm-exclusives-and-specials/bachmann-32-815z-class-47-prince-william-no-47798.htm

Also platform 5 has been scrapped. It and the ex royal mail siding and thanks to old issues of rail express, will become a cement terminal

Tom

Update:

I'm officially broken after painting on and off for about 3 hours in preparations for Ellis's visit on Saturday, it's a very busy week and I've been non stop since about last Friday! Got a golf competition on Sunday so need to get as much practise in as possible, as well as fitting in excessive and mostly unneeded year 9 homework along with my parents nagging going it's an important year you need to work hard etc etc etc so please don't moan at me as i have no patience at all today! On a happier note, I've painted all of the station area and all the roads are painted and the last of the markings and last few touch ups are done. Thanks to what can only be described as a complete ar** job of painting last time (not good at all) a couple of weeks ago and after applying plenty of paint stripper last night I've got the first coat on of the new road grey, problem is...

I made it about a third of the way and ran out of paint. So I've had to use 2 different types of paint to mix into grey (this ends better then you'd think...) so mixed the, woth what's left of the paint stripper. And sods law I run out of paint another half ft away from where it needs to be painted too... :(:(

So I had t be a bit creative as if I'd used the paint as it was it would look like ready mix concrete so, with mum and dad both working for companies who sell Beer and Champaign respectively, went into the garage and looked for something with a high alcohol content and discovered what I can only describe as draino strength vodka which just a shot would get you absolutely trollied! So a few drops would do nicely, and did! So it turned out surprisingly well, and looks nice, the paint takes an age to set so give it a couple of days and it will be dry so should be ok. I'll finish the rest of the painting tomorrow hopefully, still have some homework to do which I couldn't do tonight as they hadn't given me one of the sheets.... Wanted to get it all done and out of the way tonight but I couldn't (yeh thanks Mr Steer!!)

Anyway finished the scenery on the farm, I don't have any animals so I'm saying it's a horse stables and there's a Tesco truck parked outside (horse meat joke)

Anyway (I've never said anyway so much in my life!) that's it for tonight, another update shortly hopefully!

Tom :)

Sounds good, but do you have an inability to upload photo's lol! It sounds good, how many layouts is that now (I've lost count) I've been lucky with year 10 so far, 3 pieces of homework and all to take about 10mins!

Lucky so and so!

Oi! I do just it will take me 4 million years to upload a pic of not much progress

Update: Did a bit more on the back gardens of the 2 houses facing the railway and have found (why I have these I genuinely don't know?) 2 half naked girls which are waving at train drivers in the back garden of one of them and looks quite funny! It's an excuse to blast the horn on my sound locos!

Thats about it, no point in uploading a picture (sorry Will) but promise I will do! 

Looks good but nothing much happened when I did Yr 9, a bit more in Yr 10 with controlled assessments and then more in Yr 11 so do most of it before then.

As a name suggestion what about Whiteport.

Thanks Tom, yr9 has been crap so far. I would like to rocket launch my new form tutor to mars and leave her there. She's called miss Hunt and guess what we all call her....?

Im thinking Thornton Road as a name, what d'ya think?

Well, after thinking and looking at the model railway I've decided, the ex royal mail sidings are going to be an actual royal mail area depot thingy. It can fit a 325 sized set in but its going to be extended to fit a 5 or 6 car set of RES vans and a 90. The building to offload the mail will probably have to be scratch built so thats a challenge, never know it could be an entry for the 2014 challenge! But I am going to have a crack at a 325! I have been learning CAD in D.T so you never know. 

And to shut Will up...

9356352195_0d9154f73a_c.jpg

The girls weren't there at that point!