Tim Hale

Beaminster Road - Through Hardy's Wessex

As Tim will testify we're both blessed with wives who are fully supportive in our hobbies, In Tims picture Linda has spread her weight across a rather wide section of baseboard which would never have taken Tims weight and has started the filling in of trees etc to hide the electrical sockets on the back wall, A week ago my wife, Natalia, wad taking her first steps in soldering under-board droppers in places I can no longer reach.

Bless them both.

Bill

Edited by Bill Jones

IMG_0225.JPG

I should have rescued her but not before I took a picture.

Any ideas what she is doing?

Tim

Quality mate, I guess, switching the power on or planting the tree's for you...

I liked the Quote "but not before I took a picture" I thought you were about to say "but not before she's finished the job" lol

Great Photo's Tim... keep them coming and is a stunning top Layout...

Jamie

Sorry that I have not provide an update for a couple of days - I have been very busy. Hopefully, I have something quite spectacular to share for the next update, it will be something quite large.

For those who are reading this as a result of a link published elsewhere - the reason for my appearance on MRL was not my choice. However my presence on MRL has been very positive in terms of personal satisfaction, my thanks to those who forced my removal.

Tim

The_tree.jpg

Now that is a tree, just another few more to make.

Not all my trees are so spectacular, I prefer to use 'bog-brush' trees for view blocks but hide their origins by making nice trunks and hiding them behind handbuilt trees - what I really need is the impression of a small wood rather than individual examples.

But this one is a beauty.

Tim

D15_2.jpg

Dugald Drummond designed a series of 4-6-0 locomotives, but none was particularly successful, so when he designed in 1911 what was to be his last class, to some surprise a 4-4-0 emerged from Eastleigh workshops in February 1912, the first of his D15 class. Contrary to his 4-6-0 designs, the D15s performed exceptionally well and were put to work on the Bournemouth run where, apparently, many drivers preferred them to the T14 4-6-0s as they used less coal, water and oil and were quicker and easier to prepare and dispose.

This is a very fine example of the D15, it runs well and is built to a very high standard.

The_tree2.jpg

Organic trees, whatever next?

Using some of the techniques in Gordon Gravett's book but mostly adapted from other sources, this tree is based on organic materials rather than a wire frame.

It stands about 20cms and looks just like the trees alongside the line at Wayford.

20121225_C_Class1.jpg

Christmas has brought a Southern goods loco, albeit a foreigner, but still a Southern loco and a delightful model.

The connection is the C-Class was the only steam loco that I remember on the Hayes branch that run past our home in West Wickham. The local service served the suburban community in and out of London, Charing Cross and was operated by 2-Bils whilst the local coal merchant received his supplies hauled by a C-Class. West Wickham is a leafy part of Bromley and provided happy memories of Mister Polly written by Bromley author HG Wells.

Merry Christmas to everyone

Tim

The_tree2.jpg

Organic trees, whatever next?

Using some of the techniques in Gordon Gravett's book but mostly adapted from other sources, this tree is based on organic materials rather than a wire frame.

It stands about 20cms and looks just like the trees alongside the line at Wayford.

Hi Tim

Hope you had a great xmas playing with your new Southern loco which look great, but I have to comment on the tree info and picture, it looks absolutely so real, well it is I hear you say..., was it easy to make and to source the materials to get it to look as good as it does, can you do a 'show and tell' on how to make these trees as good as you have produced...

Have a great New Year to mate with you and your family...

Jamie

20121227_SMGarden1.jpg

At least one member of the forum will recognise this domestic scene, Bill Jones, made this lovely washing line and here it is on Beaminster Road.

Many of Bill's details have found a new home, not least on my layout where they are a tribute to Bill's skill as a modeller.

Tim

Edited by Tim Hale

Hi Tim

Well it’s what is in the Picture that you have attached, didn’t quiet catch the number for you mate, went passed to fast, I only get numbers when I'm with my dad... lol lol lol lol

Great YouTube Clip Tim and the Scenery are absolutely stunning... Is this your First for a YouTube Clip...? I'm yet to give it ago; I may need some assistants from Jack or one of the other lads on here... Doh...! I should know, but never gave it a try even thou I have had YouTube Login for several Years...

Great work and will we be expecting more Clips from you...?

Speak again soon dude...

Jamie

Had a most enjoyable visit to Beaminster Road.  The layout is looking very nice indeed, and we had a good time examining the various locos, watching trains and discussing Southern modelling.  Those new trees are absolutey stunning.  

Tea and mince pies were most refreshing, thanks very much for your hospitality Tim.

Happy New Year,

Dave.