CazRail

Amlwch

Yes Caz,

I was following the line on 'Earth Google' and for the most part it seems as though the tracks are still down more or less right into Amlwch itself, it got a bit hazy... shall we say where it seemed to be well overgrown but no doubt the tracks are still there.

Jamie

The whole line is pretty much intact, right down to the signalling apparatus in Gaerwen, despite the connection having been removed (by mistake, might I add!). Apart from vegetation, the line is in bad state however, with only a handful (if any) concrete sleepered sections on, and alot of the timber sleepers have rotted out, meaning much of the line is probably out of gauge. Also, some landslips have inevitably happened along the line, resulting in drainage and culverts being blocked causing floods, and embankments partially moving leading to ballast moving, and track being out of alignment in many locations.

Just the effect of it not being used for 20 years, unfortunately. 

It would great to re-open that line, when you look at Anglesey in its entirety the railway network would look spread evenly across the island.

Once it leaves the main Holyhead line to go to Amlwch were there any other station in between.... If it never got up and running, I don't know why they don't have some kind of tram system like most councils have nowadays, and let Anglesey have its own tram system using parts of the old railway lines and more pickup stations in between.

Jamie

Earth Google, you can go back as far as 2006 to 2009 to present 2012, you can follow it all the way to the sea more or less...

seems gets a bit lost in some places or overgrown but you can see from the tree lines where it was or is still...

Jamie

Have you got link??

Hi All

The Railways of Anglesey by Bill Rear Published by Foxline shows the branch in detail, and  with many of the station layouts. We may have a few second hand copies in stock at the shop. It has been used by a number of modellers whom have made layouts of the lines on the island.

Also I belive that in the record office at Caernarfon there are a full set of layout plans for the whole island. but I have not checked this out and is based on information when I was doing typesetting for Foxline in Manchester some 15-16 years ago.

Peter

Hi All

The Railways of Anglesey by Bill Rear Published by Foxline shows the branch in detail, and  with many of the station layouts. We may have a few second hand copies in stock at the shop. It has been used by a number of modellers whom have made layouts of the lines on the island.

Also I belive that in the record office at Caernarfon there are a full set of layout plans for the whole island. but I have not checked this out and is based on information when I was doing typesetting for Foxline in Manchester some 15-16 years ago.

Peter

Thanks for your help Peter!!

It wasn't all that long ago when someone, I think it was Jame or Neil, who brought up what rollingstock I would use for this layout. Well, here's a little summary.

Locomotives:

Mostly from my fleet of locos, with the odd visiting I'm sure. 

Classes: 14, 20, 33, 37, 40, 47, 50, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 66, 67, 68, 70

(Some of these locos aren't currently in my fleet, being 14, 33, 40*, 50, 56, 58* and 68 [* denotes locos which I have, but not usable])

Multiple Units:

Obviously, a non-electrified line so DMU's only  :rolleyes:

Classes: 101, 108, 121, other various 1st generation DMUs that worked the line.

Classes: 150, 153, 156, 158, 175. Possibly 170, 220, 221, 222.

Now I'm debating weather I want these on my layout :rolleyes: :

Classes: 142, 143, 144

Rolling Stock - Passenger:

Coaching stock that will be used on the line: BR Mk1, BR Mk2, BR Mk3.

Rolling Stock - Freight:

This is the difficult but. The Amlwch line, as most well know, played a part in the transportation of Chemicals to and from Stanlow. It also carried Sulphur in hoppers from Mostyn Docks. The tanks used for the Chemicals were fairly unique, and because of their small scope of operation, haven't been modelled by any of the RTR manufacturers :angry: 

However, when you look at the European market from manufacturers such as Roco and Electrotren, there seems to be a much wider range of wagons from the Continent, and more importantly, many bearing very similar features with the tanks used on the line, and don't look too dis-similar either. Also, what is to remember, this layout is based from 2000 onward, meaning the stock and locos used might/will have changed. Here are some Roco products that I have spotted in the market which I think are suitable to my needs, possibly with a little modification to colour schemes:

Also, I am thinking of running a steel train on the layout, as if it was running to the port itself. As well as using the steel wagons of various types I already own, here's a couple I could use from the Roco stable?

Other than these mentioned wagons, I will be using wagons from my fleet of general engineers wagons, including Network Rail FNA 'Falcon' ballast gondolas, EWS MHA's and other various 2 axle wagons, EWS YGB Seacows, and my future wagons.

Any thoughs welcome.

Thanks,Caz...

It wasn't all that long ago when someone, I think it was Jame or Neil, who brought up what rollingstock I would use for this layout. Well, here's a little summary.

Locomotives:

Mostly from my fleet of locos, with the odd visiting I'm sure. 

Classes: 14, 20, 33, 37, 40, 47, 50, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 66, 67, 68, 70

(Some of these locos aren't currently in my fleet, being 14, 33, 40*, 50, 56, 58* and 68 [* denotes locos which I have, but not usable])

Multiple Units:

Obviously, a non-electrified line so DMU's only  :rolleyes:

Classes: 101, 108, 121, other various 1st generation DMUs that worked the line.

Classes: 150, 153, 156, 158, 175. Possibly 170, 220, 221, 222.

Now I'm debating weather I want these on my layout :rolleyes: :

Classes: 142, 143, 144

Rolling Stock - Passenger:

Coaching stock that will be used on the line: BR Mk1, BR Mk2, BR Mk3.

Rolling Stock - Freight:

This is the difficult but. The Amlwch line, as most well know, played a part in the transportation of Chemicals to and from Stanlow. It also carried Sulphur in hoppers from Mostyn Docks. The tanks used for the Chemicals were fairly unique, and because of their small scope of operation, haven't been modelled by any of the RTR manufacturers :angry:

However, when you look at the European market from manufacturers such as Roco and Electrotren, there seems to be a much wider range of wagons from the Continent, and more importantly, many bearing very similar features with the tanks used on the line, and don't look too dis-similar either. Also, what is to remember, this layout is based from 2000 onward, meaning the stock and locos used might/will have changed. Here are some Roco products that I have spotted in the market which I think are suitable to my needs, possibly with a little modification to colour schemes:

Also, I am thinking of running a steel train on the layout, as if it was running to the port itself. As well as using the steel wagons of various types I already own, here's a couple I could use from the Roco stable?

Other than these mentioned wagons, I will be using wagons from my fleet of general engineers wagons, including Network Rail FNA 'Falcon' ballast gondolas, EWS MHA's and other various 2 axle wagons, EWS YGB Seacows, and my future wagons.

Any thoughs welcome.

Thanks,Caz...

Interesting wagons Caz... :)

cheers neil...

not yet sorry, Neil, as I'm working shifts on the railway I struggle to find time, but soon, I will do some work!

No what you mean Caz!! im on some funny shifts at the moment ;) im just thinking of the money ££ though... B)

No progress on the layout still I'm afraid, this is mostly due to time, as I'm working 40 hours per week and other things have taken priority.

On the rolling stock front, I have previously shown models from the European market which I consider as appropriate for this layout, but I have now found an obvious one, from a range a little closer to home.

38-020A_1047110_Qty1_1.jpg

I think this Bachmann CEA Covered Hopper in EWS maroon livery will do nicely for the Sulphur traffic which once operated from Mostyn Dock to Amlwch conveying imported sulphur for the plant. I think, the weathering gives the wagon a further sence of realism as if it's worked on the flow for a few years.

Money is coming in thick and fast, but I have a  car to run now so the Layouts are firmly in the back seats!

No what you mean!! cars dont run cheap these days,just had to pay my car tax for my saxo vts,£158 for 6 months :(

A little bit of news...

Sentinel 0-4-0 loco has arrived at AOC (Associated Octel Company) main site today, having arrived from the Esso fuel plant at Cattewater. Before entering traffic, the loco will be painted into AOC's all over yellow livery, and receive a couple of 'mod-con's'. This loco is their third loco, the other two having gone in 1995 after the original freight workings for storage in Rio Tinto Anglesey Aluminium awaiting entry into preservation.  

The loco is to loose it's name.

The loco was acquired by AOC to cope with the extra traffic generated by the port being used to export steel whilst Mostyn Docks undergo refurbishment. 

(Of course, none of this is real, just for the layout ;) )