CazRail

Amlwch

Anglesey Aluminium is situated on the North Wales Coast line, about 2 mile to the east of Holyhead station. Up until October 2009, it was served by a EWS/DB Schenker train of cargo vans, taking aliminium billets from the Holyhead plant to Braunau Am Inn in Austria. Since then, it has been served by a very occasional service from Rotherham(from what I gather) carrying large aluminium ingots into the plant to be re-melted.

Trains that will run on the layout will be roughly 1996 - present day, however that does not mean there will be the odd 1970s/80s trains running too ;)

UPDATE - First track laid!

There has been good progress on the layout this evening, the pictures of which is in the gallery under Anglesey Aluminium :)

http://mrlforum.co.uk/forums/index.php?/gallery/album/55-anglesey-aluminium-layout/

;)

cheers Caz...

Edited by Javelin395

Just added a link to your gallery Carwyn.

Very impressive I must say! Bagsy having a play with it! haha.

Can't wait to see how it turns out in the end! If you need help getting it into exhibitions, drop me a text :)

UPDATE - First board finished off

- Majority of main line layed on board 2

- Both boards tested, all is well ;)

The photos have added to the album, use the link in the first update.

Also included is an initial diagram of the layout;

Track in the works sidings(indicated on diagram) is not yet finalised, but is represented by a probable idea.

Problem with the Works Siding is; unless I put the Coke unloading chute as part of the loops(as a third line), how can I run without the train having to run onto the main line to set back ??

To fully understand the above question look at the diagram. On the diagram, the closest loop line to the Up Main is the Coke line.

Edited by 37116comet

Bring duck or gaffe tape. Jack never takes it and I keep telling him, it comes in handy! :P

Looking forward to seeing how this layout progresses. I would have a look at the photos but for some obscure reason, the University Computers don't want to open them. Very odd.

From what I've read, it does sound a very interesting plan :D

(Sort of) Update;

The laid track was tested once again a couple of nights ago. I used some of my most feeble locos to do this just to test the joints between the boards. I used a Hornby RailRoad class 40, which(for once) ran sweetly, with no problems over the joint. The Bachmann class 70 seems to exagurate the joint as it runs over it(why?) but NO DERAILMENTS!!!!!!!! WOOHOOO!!!!

Now to order some Woodland Scenics fine gray ballast, a couple more lengths of flexitrack and ome lovely express points :P Anyone know where I can buy them cheaply??

Some ballasting will be done before any more track goes down.

Also some research will be done into the unique PAB coke hoppers used on the works' petroleum coke train, as I'm hoping to scratch build some using Hornby HEAs as a base.

Edited by 37116comet

UPDATE(of sorts)

5 bags of Brown Fine Ballast ordered(just experimenting with shades)....hopefully I'll be happy with the colours and will have everythiung thats already down ballasted before the summer holidays.

UPDATE: 1 section of the Down Main Ballasted!!!

One length of flexi rail on board 1 has been ballasted. More tracklaying is hoped to be done before any more is ballasted, subject to the availability of track.

Photos are in the gallery :)

Regards, Caz

Edited by 37116comet

Right, did some more bloody ballasting today. to be honest, I hate the job, but it has to be done.

HOWEVER...

some annoying problems are annoying me ...

I lay ballast, I use a mister to wet it, then I use a injection(i like to call it that) to put watered PVA glue on it. The water from the mister should stop the ballast from moving, It does... sort of.

can anyone suggest another method ???

Regards,

Caz

What I've learnt is to mark out where the track's going, put a load of glue down, put the track on top, pin it down to make sure it doesn't shift then put ballast down, and you get a lovely ballasted bit of track without ballast going everywhere. I've learnt that and it's a great method :)

B&Q double-sided carpet tape laid to your track plan.

Remove top backing strip

Carefully place track down - you only have one chance

Throw ballast over the whole lot and press down

Leave for 30 mins

Remove excess by hoovering, brushing or turning board upside down.

See my Essellty pics for my end result.

Right, well if you are following my layout progress, you'll probably think ''hey, this guy doesnt do much'', which is fair ;)

Progress was hampered by two factors:

a. AS exams

b. Time

I am happy to announce that during the next few weeks, there will be some progress, probably to do with ballasting and tracklaying.

A new method of laying ballst will be used, using a doulbesided tape and then glue for layering. So with hopefully buying in new materials during the coming week, progress will be reported on Friday as soon as anything is completed. :). Also, I will be making videos of the layout's progress on my YouTube channel.

Thanks for being patient

Regards,

Caz Jones

Edited by 37116comet