Chris

Chris's ramblings

('Hayley Cement' perhaps!?! lol)

She will be thrilled to have an industrial wasteland named after her!

Regarding Peak District place names, Low is a fairly common ending, it means hill, so how about Westenlow Quarry? ;)

so how about Westenlow Quarry? ;)

Take a bow, sir! I think you've cracked it!

Work on the layout has started, perhaps not at a pace, at a decent rate. The half relief building the backscene is coming on well, and has just been primed, whilst I've also knocked up a foamboard baseboard too. General plan revolves around the final few yards of a run round loop, the loco, having detached from its train, runs forward into the headshunt, before heading back to the points (assumed off stage) to run around its loco. In a small unused siding I am planning on have a heavily weathered, unused PCA (or likewise). There will be a gate at the front of the layout, with a small amount of scenery at the front of the layout too, with a bit of the peak coarse walling.

In other news, I'm getting a hankering for one of these, for absolutely no reason either (although the price might be one reason).

Hi folks,

make the most of these, as these are all you're getting until 'Westenlow Cement' (thanks Bob!) is complete. You might got the odd snap of little bits, but otherwise I'm declaring Westenlow Cement 'off limits' to photographers!

I will take some WIP pictures though, but won't post them until I reveal the whole thing on a seperate thread.

Mind you... you can get the jist of the track plan by these pictures though!

Enjoy!

cimg0924h.jpg

cimg0925s.jpg

Chris

Edited by chris66522

I think I have an illness.

All mojo for Westenlow has vanished. I've got track laid and ballasted, but, bang, interest has gone.

It's a size thing - it's just not big enough to sustain any interest. All I can do is drive a loco on, then drive it off again.

Back to the drawing board - and a spy around to see if I can gain any more space for a larger layout... the ideas are all there, its just the space to realise them.

You need a cassette (ot traverser/sector plate) fed layout similar to Jack Trollope's "Shortover Yard",. Using UK wagons (shorter than US freight cars) the layout can be shrunk even further. I did something similar with "Wrights Wagon Works" and the whole thing was just over 2ft long by 1ft wide but had three tracks so that I could shunt wagons on it.

Shortover Yard http://carendt.us/mi...sers/index.html (4th layout on the page)

I don't think Wrights Wagon Works was submitted to Carl because it went to print in issue 73 of MTI magazine.

http://contents.mtimag.co.uk/?issue=73

Unfortunately I no longer own the layout and have deleted the images from my Photobucket account.

WrightsWW.jpg

The cassette was originally long enough to take an 08 and one wagon, completely hidden under the bridge, but was extended to take an extra wagon in order to increase the layout's operational flexibility.

Please don't be tempted to convert the design into a loco works, fuelling point, whatever. It's operational interest was based on shuffling 8 wagons around in a limited space. Use it as a T(oo) M(any) D(iesels) type layout and you'll be back to driving locos on and of stage again. ;)

EDIT - Just realised that I've drawn the sketch plan as a mirror image of the actual layout, I've got a memory like a... Whatsitcalled... One of them things with holes in. Anyway, the plan works left or right handed. Also, a cassette was used, rather than a traverser, so that the rear track could be slightly higher than the front two giving a chance for more 3D scenery than the usual "Flat Earth Society" seen on layouts this small.

Edited by Narrow Gauge

Thanks Bob.

Overnight thoughts have revolved around powering through and finishing off Westenlow, just as a photo diorama or simple 'fork' layout using an 08, coupled with dismantlind Duggansmuir and seeing if I can find space to create something a little larger. On my way to Derby last Sunday I noticed the Yusen/NYK logistics depot on the A38 which has sparked some appeal.

For now though, mojo or not, Westenlow will be completed and then I'll see where I go from there. As it just needs some more ground cover its more or less done anyway, so it seems a bit daft to scrap it.

I've just had a rummage (as you do) and in the bits box have found several lengths of n gauge track, plus a Farish 47 in DRS livery.

A quick trip to Hobbycraft has seen me purchase a small box.... you can guess the rest.

The target is to create a working 'layout' with minimum outlay... using bits I've collected, and all in a day whilst I'm waiting for some bits and bobs to arrive for Westenlow.

I already have a plan up my sleeve - the loco release road of a container terminal, and the DRS 47 is not going to stay in that livery. I've ordered some Advenza stickers (so I get my Advenza 47 with something to run it on).

I will start a topic when creation is complete!

Hi folks,

Well, Westenlow has once more bitten the dust in its current format. I want a lime terminal as a basis for a layout, but am going to wait until I have more space to do it justice. As mentioned previously, there is possible potential to go into a shed, and if so, all resources will be directed towards a shelf layout in that, that includes a fiddle yard.

In the mean time, I'm shoring up my idea for the N gauge diorama. This is likely to take the shape of nothing more than a 'fork' style layout - and might not even be that extensive!!!

I think (THINK - I can't promise) I might finally have hit upon an idea... then again, i might not have!!!

It revolves around a depot-ish. I've been looking at quarries and the like, Tunstead and Whatley mainly, and I was drawn to this scene in particular. yes, it's a shed/depot idea. I know! Not another TMD layout surely.

Well, yes, and no. It all depends on how I use the idea. If I end up with a shed outside then I can have ideas forming around a roundy roundy that has reception sidings that locos can pull into before detaching and running on shed, leaving a shunter (I love the Lafarge 20) to pull the train into the quarry for loading.

If I don't go for the roundy-roundy, and end up stuck with my 2' 8" space that is currently home to Dugganlarich, then I plan on using a track plan from the excellent 'Barber Bridge' and house it in quarry surroundings, with a very white landscape, a road overbridge (Scalescenes) to one side and a low relief depot hiding the fact that the layout doesn't extend to the other side. This would be augmented with a 'plug'in' fiddle stick (copyright of Blackcloud Railways ;-) ) to allow small shunting movement.

I've said it before, and no doubt will say it again, but this idea is resonating with me and I'm looking forward to having a go. I'll plan out the smaller version today-as this is the most likely outcome and get some pics up on here.

Oh, and stay tuned as I got a bit bored yesterday. The perils of some setrack, foamcore board, and the spare 'bits' box...

Oh, and stay tuned as I got a bit bored yesterday. The perils of some setrack, foamcore board, and the spare 'bits' box...

In case you do get bored...

Generic.jpg

A reworking of Jack Trollope's Shortover Yard, the mirror below the bridge is, I believe, part of the original plan, but moving the setting out of a shunting yard and adding the signal gantry would make it look more like a main line. This can be anywhere from a seaside resort to a major industrial city centre.

As a photo set trains could be held at the signals, as if waiting to carry on beyond the bridge, or strings of wagons can be pushed right up to the mirror for low angle shots of L-O-N-G trains.

Operationally it is similar to an Inglenook, parking wagons as "not to be moved" (remove their couplings so they can't be moved?) next to the mirror to shorten two tracks would convert it into a true Inglenook.

With witchcraft it could be used to hold several locos (it that's what floats your boat) like a TMD but I'd prefer it where most of the track is empty for most of the time... Like the real thing.

American modellers frequently depict lines as if they extend beyond the baseboard, even though they cannot be used as such they still look good.

Not all trains go the full length of the line anyway! Just because the track is there does not mean you have to use it. Therefore we do not need to model a terminus for terminating trains. DMUs running up to the signals then setting back may be shunting from one platform to another in a station just beyond where the cassettes are, likeways light engines may be running round their trains and wagons may be stabled on one of the side tracks during off stage shunting moves. We don't actually see any trains pass the bridge next to the signal gantry... That doesn't mean there aren't any, just we weren't watching when they ran!

This simple design can see almost anything from shunting moves associated with passenger trains, main line engines standing while they wait their next duty, or a Gronk playing with a string of wagons. There's no need to model the actual platforms or freight handling facilities either, just three or four tracks between two overbridges.

Sorry, I'm not helping am I? You really don't want more suggestions at the moment. :P ;)

Edit, not that you need it... a variation of the plan.

Generic-1.jpg

Edited by Blackcloud Railways (NG)

You really don't want more suggestions at the moment. :P ;)

The sad thing is I didn't even mention a Balearic Isle based miniature railway down a sea front idea that I've been trying to work out in my head for the past few weeks...

Still, one step at a time.

Oh, glue hasn't dried yet (big white blobs would appear on photos) so you'll all have to wait 'till tomorrow re: the pictures I promised.

Well, I've finally got around to drawing out my plan for Westenlow Lime. Sorry it's a little rough and small, just knocked together in about five minutes!

westenlowplan.jpg

It's all fairly self explanatory - I hope. The idea is that, off stage to the left the loco uncouples from its train, and arrives on shed. Meanwhile, the yard shunter pulls out of the shed, runs round the train (off stage) and pushes the train along the back line towards the mirror, which is included to make the train look longer when stood against the sidescreen.

The embankment at the front left, by the bridge, might yet be amended to be a quarry related building - something simple like the building on the left here. The embankment along the backscene would be all 'quarryish,' whilst the ballasted area would be lightly ballasted, and very light, indicating the years of dust that has fallen.

After the train is loaded, the shunter runs back on shed, the initial loco hooks up, and pulls its load off.

The yard shunter should see the arrival of a new loco Westenlow... I'd love to replicate this beauty! This would mean that the layout is Lafarge based, not tarmac.

All thoughts welcome - thanks for reading.

Suggestion... Make the small mirror removeable so you can attach the fiddlestick beyond it. Then you can load the wagons while the main line loco is on shed.

As per Chris's original operating plan as far as...

1. Shunt engine pushes wagons off the fiddlestick and stops when the first one gets to where the mirror is on the plan.

Then...

2. Unplug the fiddlestick from the bridge end and attach to the shed end (move layout to accommodate if extremely short of space).

3. Push wagons onto fiddlestick, stopping as each reaches the imaginary tipple to be loaded (sounds of stone being dumped into the hoppers).

4. Pull wagons back on stage.

5. Unplug the fiddlestick from the shed end and attach to the bridge end (move layout to accommodate if extremely short of space).

6. Shunter light engine to shed.

7. Main line loco off shed, attach to train, stand for brake test (sounds of loco revving slightly and brakes creaking)..

8. Depart and let the dust settle again (sounds of quarrying off stage and faint bird song or bleating of sheep).

To give the impression of much longer trains repeat sequence 1-5 with the shunter pulling loads beyond the bridge and returning with "more empties" as often as required. Then replace 6-7 with...

6a. Shunter light to shed.

7a. Train engine light off shed, attach to train in departure sidings beyond the bridge.

(Edits - Spelling & punctuation)

I'd never thought of that Bob. That's a great idea, and still means that the only electrical feed required is the fiddle stick. Lots of mileage in that idea - thank you!

Little question to you good folks, for some reason I seem to want to prefer limestone to be the preferred load - what wagons am I going to need?

Thanks

Google for pictures of Great Rocks, Tunstead and Earles Sidings. You'll see a mixture of tanks and covered hoppers for cement and open hoppers for roadstone. Earles traffic is virtually all in tanks but other Derbyshire quarries ship roadstone, this was a particularly heavy traffic flow through New Mills Central when I worked there in the '70s and used the famous 1930s built ICI hoppers with class 25s as motive power.

As far as I know the flow still operates to Manchester but I'm not sure how it's routed or carried these days because I have little interest in the modern railway.

PS - When feeding power to the layout from the fiddlestick it will be reversed when you attach to the shed end, no problem providing you remember to drive backwards when entering the quarry tipple. ;)

PPS - There's more than stone/cement traffic too, coal is used when making cement and can arrive by rail with associated outward empties as seen in this vid...

The loco in that video is an interesting little beastie. Not a lot bigger than a Gronk, I'm sure one could be modelled using an American SW1 or SW9 chassis.

PS - When feeding power to the layout from the fiddlestick it will be reversed when you attach to the shed end, no problem providing you remember to drive backwards when entering the quarry tipple. ;)

Will I need to sit a test? I have visions of a 20 and assorted wagons making a lemming-esque leap of faith off a fiddlestick edge!!!

Thanks for the info on wagons, I'm actually wondering whether to move the layout north again to bonny Scotland. Some readers may remember 'Calderburgh,' a small Scottish terminus I partially built (topic on another forum) and would quite like to reuse the name if possible. I'd alter the quarry to an aggregates facility too, enabling a larger array of potential materials.

Very interesting read Chris. Bachmann produce JGA hoppers which are used on limestone trains. It may be worth having a look at this as Peter's modelled a limestone quarry and he's got a lovely rake of JGA hoppers in the various liveries they're released in and look stunning!

HTH Chris.

Chris, am on my travels atm and as I pulled out of Shrewsbury, I noticed this... Very interesting! Unsure what it is. Its just south of the station if you want to view it on Google Earth...

MRLm.png

post-164-13459872170446.jpg