Chris

Chris's ramblings

Hi folks,

Here is my idea for the entry. I am yet to name it as anyone who followed my entry last year will recall I changed my plan as often as I changed underwear!!!!

Anyway, plan 1 is a massive deviation from my normal sort of layout. It is the inside of a locomotive shed... but not a diesel shed...

That's right, it's steam!!!

Initial idea is to show a locomotive under restoration. I'm currently looking at a Dapol Mogul kit, with it undergoing a paint job. This means that it will be undercoated, and with the top coat being applied. The layout will be about 1 foot long and not very wide at all, with just the one track, complete with inspection pit. With the plan being so small it is the detailing of the area that I will be looking to bring out.

Drawn plans to follow over the next few days.

In keeping with my 2011 entry Derwent Gate, I'm quickly beginning to change tack on this idea.

That said, I have no idea what to go for. Currently, Wrexham Central station is also calling out to me - in both its capacity to run DMU's, and the fact I have never created a station before (a previous project, Calderburgh, bit the dust) and would like to put this right.

Wrexham has two lovely stations. Both have excellent modelling potential. Haven't been to Central for a loooong time, but remember how awesome its little one platformed-station is. Would be an excellent idea for your entry Chris!

As an addition, what about creating Wrexham General plt. 4? Lovely overgrown platforms :)

wrexham(martin_potter6.2010)exchange22.jpg

Guest Blackcloud Railways

Overgrown track, short platform, looks familiar...

a476adb0.jpg

The only real difference being that Wrexham is still in use, Park Hall hadn't seen a train in well over twenty years when I was researching to build my model of it.

:D

Had yet another rethink on this one, and revisited a previous idea that is perfect for stock I already have, and would make an excellent photographic scene (I hope!).

Locomotives being unloaded at Newport Dock.

So, with the Scalescenes Cargo ship downloaded (which will then be completed and modified slightly) I will crack on with this, when work on Downton and 'real' work allows. Something quite different I believe, and hope that 'Hayley Dock' will come to fruition... particularly looking forward to getting cracking with the idea of modelling water!

I think we might (possibly) have hit upon a plan here guys.

Looking through my stock I found Colas 47 'Rebecca' and realised I didn't have anything for her to do. So I think I've found something for her to do...

Timber!

Having discovered the Colas flow to Heathfield, I couldn't help but fall for it's charms - and simplicity! - which I felt where perfect for a diorama. All that will happen is there will be a swift relocation up North to bonny Scotland (and a possibly purchase of a Colas 66!!!) and bobs your uncle!

It is a problem, and I'm aware that they are not of as high a quality as the Bachy version, but do believe that there is a light kit you can get to adapt it.

Another problem is the fact that Hornby have modelled the wrong light clusters! They've put the early style 'IOO' type where the Colas ones use the later style 'Oo'. My personal recommendation would be to file the lights down, paint them yellow, then fit this kit to it (2nd from the bottom). Stupid Hornby.

Thanks for those Shane, got loads of pictures of Heathfield now for inspiration.

Few developments regarding my wood 'terminal' idea are as follows...

1) Diorama is currently going to be of the SLT variety.

2) Name: Dugganmuir (based in Scotland, so lots of lovely iron ore coloured ballast)

3) Baseboard is likely to be one of these. At just under two feet in length these are perfect for what I need, and an instant baseboard too.

4) For those of you who follow my Downton Coal thread, you will have noticed a strange loco turned up there during the week. The arrival of a Colas 66 (and a timber wagon too) at Downton was so I would have some alternate stock to pull the train aside from Colas 47 Rebecca.

5) My idea for this weekend is to have a go at a few plans. With it being SLT you would imagine this wouldn't prove too problematical, but I've got a few ideas milling around currently.

Thanks for reading,

Chris

Sounds like a plan! Can't wait to see what the end result is. What sort of wagons are you going to use? Hornby and Bachmann do stunning OTA wagons, but they're a bit too early 00's for Colas. The ones used are very similar to these, as they don't have the 'solid' ends and have different bogies, but pretty much similar. Just a shame they are £27 a piece. HTH.

Sounds like a plan! Can't wait to see what the end result is. What sort of wagons are you going to use? Hornby and Bachmann do stunning OTA wagons, but they're a bit too early 00's for Colas. The ones used are very similar to these, as they don't have the 'solid' ends and have different bogies, but pretty much similar. Just a shame they are £27 a piece. HTH.

I went for the OTA Jack, will weather up suitably, and it might be that you don't see much of the wagon as I'm planning on a few view blocking trees.

I went for the OTA Jack, will weather up suitably, and it might be that you don't see much of the wagon as I'm planning on a few view blocking trees.

Excellent stuff! I've got one of those wagons, very impressed with them! Magazines say they're one of Hornby's best so far, with the KFA being another.

I think I've finally worked out what I want from Duggansmuir. Ideas include a raised loading platform, including timber yard (perhaps selling a few sheds etc), and a Ratio goods shed used as a mess hut sytle thing. The backdrop will, once again, see the introduction of a football stadium. This time though it will be a rather smaller affair, the home of Duggansmuir Swifts, a Scottish non-league team, who regularly spend their Saturdays duelling with fantastically named teams such as Rutherglen Glencairn, Forres Mechanics, Irvine Meadow XI and Kirkintilloch Rob Roy.

I promise a proper plan will be uploaded soon... once I've got rid of all that inconvenient lesson planning!

You know, sometimes, just sometimes, I hate myself.

I'd got Duggansmuir all planned out in my head, knowing exactly what I wanted.

Now all inspiration and enthusiasm for it has waned, leaving my Colas 66 and OTA wagon sadly unemployed. The main issue I have is that of space, as I just don't have the room for a 2 foot layout/diorama. Downton takes up all my available space. This would change if I was able to purchase a house (hopefully happening in the not too distant future), but then modelling cash would be cut down - and would probably result in me having to sell on stock first to fund any modelling.

The upshot of space leads me back to a boxfile scenario again, and even then I would need to get rid of Derwent Gate first - which, ironically, is a non-working diorama! So it's a case of hunting out a small space modelling scenario that I could fit into said boxfile, and one that could incorporate multi train operating companies - particularly as I have an unfathomable urge to renumber a Bachy GBRf into 66711.

The model will still stay based in Scotland, and the name Duggansmuir will stay - just got to figure out what it's the name of!

Sorry for changing my mind more often that I change my underwear!!!

Guest Blackcloud Railways

Chris, the two foot challenge is 2x2x2... Use the vertical 2ft to make it a box with an open front, similar to the Gn15 modules I've been working on recently, then you can use the same area for two layouts.

This is not a composite photo, the boxes are stacked to save space. :D

ef1028d6.jpg