Jack

Causeway Junction

Looks like a fabulous model! What are the details like? Are the buffer beam parts easy to fit? Looks like quality model. May need to get one :P Or maybe another ViTrains? Or Bachy

I have read that the 60's have a bit of an annoying coupling, have you had any problems?
I have indeed heard this also, but i have had no problems at all, but my track work has a minimum rad of 36" so that helps a lot, they may give problems on set track curves depending on the wagons being pulled. You need to buuy a 60 for yourself matey!

bondy

When I borrowed one of Richard's lovely tugs, I did find a few coupling problems on my dreaded set track :o I think its spring loaded, but too strong and pushes my light wagons off the tracks. I really want to get 60033 this year, maybe for my birthday in October, but I really do want a tug :D

yeah the coupling is sprung, but the problem also comes from the little cam that the coupling bar runs across, it comes to a point in the middle which is too sharp and the bar catches on it and then the coupling wont move so derails the wagon behind it. I have filed the centre point down and this stops the problem. I will take some pictures and post on the workbench thread to shwo what I mean.

The hornby 60 runs alot better than most bachmann locos, and is more powerful also!

The detail on the heljan 47 are good although the bogies etc are a little plain, and the body is too wide but all in all a good model. The detailling parts are very easy to fit and come with a good few spares, the buffer beams can be removed which makes fitting the parts alot easier! When they were first released years ago, there motor being central mounted , with twin drive shafts was a big step forward for model railways, the death of the pancake motor :D

Bondy

The hornby class 60, and this is true with other 'high spec' hornby models like 31 and 56, runs very well. The loco benefits from a heavy cast chassis, this gives it excellent hauling power-just like the real thing!

I can highly recommend the hornby class 60 to any modeller,I would say they are far better than any Bachmann models I have tested so far.

Regards

Lewis

The hornby class 60, and this is true with other 'high spec' hornby models like 31 and 56, runs very well. The loco benefits from a heavy cast chassis, this gives it excellent hauling power-just like the real thing!

I can highly recommend the hornby class 60 to any modeller,I would say they are far better than any Bachmann models I have tested so far.

Regards

Lewis

yeah Lewis I do have to agree with you the 60 is far superior to any bachmann model I have seen, even the class 70 isnt very powerful, it cant pull my rake of 15 freightliner HHA's :unsure: , which even a class 66 can this is very disappointing for such a high profile model!!!

Also got a bit more work done in the attic this afternoon, will update my website through the week, there will be a couple of new arrivals also :ermm: !

bondy

Blimey! That is one not-so PowerHaul 70! New arrivals? Not more again! You need a leasing company to Basford Parkway :P

Look forward to the updates.

yes indeed Jack, at full power it just slips and spins, i thought there was a problem but no, I am very disappointed to say the least. Will have too add some weight and hopefully this will help.

bondy

Blimey... not like Bachmann to let us down. May it be because she has a narrow body, and there isnt much room for weight to be put? It could be just the motor in there, rather than a 66 which has a metal casing adding weight for traction benefits. Hmmm... it is a good price though compared to some locos that are on the market atm.

Eye these 70's do seem light i have 1 here but haven't inspected the chassis yet but did notice straight away that theres holes under the fans so loks like a sound ducky will be in this years backy mag but obviously not released till next year as usual!

Cheers, Jon.

Well I dont think ill be buying a cl70,more 60s instead!

While on the subject of bachmann locos Ive been testing 66068 on Dallam and its performing rather poor compared to the rest of the fleet,even though the trackwork is laid perfectly and there is no possibility of power shortages. I think bachmann really need to rework some of the mechanisms of their large diesel locos.

Regards

Lewis

I have to agree Lewis more Tugs required, sod the weak cl70's ^o) there is another fast approaching CJ this week! Bachy 66's can be hit and miss alright I have some that run superbly, but a couple that don't for no apparent reason!! :o I had one 66 which i adjusted+cleaned the pickups on and this did help a lot, bend the little brass strip so that it makes better contact with the back of wheel and make sure the back of the wheel is clean, also check that little clips that wires attach to the board with are in place and tight, or just remove them and solder the wires the board direct i have done this with most of mine! B-) If that doesnt help sell it and buy a CLASS 60... lol

Thanks Jack Hopefully update website later tonight.

The 70 is light weight alright Jon, a couple of layers of lead required with ur paint!! lol

Bondy

Hi Bondy

Thanks for the tips, 66068 does run 'ok' but out of 10 I would give it 6/10 compared to the Hornby 60 which is easily a 11/10-Ive yet to have a problem with the 60s running qualities. Is your second class 70 70004/70006,I thought they werent released until Febuary?

Regards

Lewis