• Name
    John Busby
  • Interests
    railway modelling fantasy war games

Recent Profile Visitors

2,936 profile views
  1. buz

buz rail workshops

Hi all Well not the barge board I wanted but a barge board non the less. I just could not get what I wanted marked out and cut it was just to small and fiddly even with 10 times magnification. I am told barge boards are around 9" deep so that's what I have cut regards John
  2. buz

buz rail workshops

Hi all First step in finishing the roof I have no idea how it will turn out. First a dry brush with shadow grey this is a blue grey color. This is the bit I am not sure about, I would not normally use this color as part of roof finishing. I normally go black, codex grey, fortress grey I am trying to get a finish that will show the roof and not over do the fortress grey which the walls are painted. the ridge crest will be repainted black when finished. regards John
  3. buz

buz rail workshops

Hi Franco Thanks for that that is very useful. I have used masking tape for felt before now and that works. regards John
  4. buz

buz rail workshops

Hi all Well we are nearing the end of this one the roof is all done so structural work done Just needs barge boards, station name boards and the roof painted then it can be mounted on the platform. Oh! and a caboose smoke stack regards John
  5. buz

buz rail workshops

Hi NorthBrit Yes the graph paper is 2mm squares it was a quick simple way to get all the roof tiles the same size and easily vary some as needed. The base size is 8mm X 4 mm same size as a slate 2' X 1' It is a PITA and I had a problem with movement as you can see. I have done the roof the same as I did foam core war games buildings but a lot harder because of the much smaller size of tile and the need for a proper scale. Without an Opti-visor it would have been a printed paper roof which would not looked as good and be far to regular for this project and no groove for the roof decorative bits to be stuck in. I am pushing as hard as I can at the limit of what I can do, I figure I will get the best result I can that way, and might do something highly dangerous learn something 😀. One lesson learned don't stick decorative bits on before whole roof done I have had to repair the first spiky bit done due to a broken spike Just like old the Triang buildings the bulk of the detail is on the roof. I think I am doing OK for some one who has never built a model almost entirely from paper and card. More a plastic kit man myself. Must go to craft shop and get a tiny small glass bead if you can still get them don't know yet but might need one for the bell wire lightning rod if I put one up. regards John
  6. buz

buz rail workshops

Hi all I am dragon Hear me roar 🤣 Just a reminder the squares are 2mm regards John
  7. buz

buz rail workshops

Hi all roof is done. Its turned into a bit of a mess in this case it doesn't matter there are spots the roof would possibly leak. I had some overnight real tile movement rather than modeled can any one suggest a suitable glue for this kind of work, that won't let it slip. regards John
  8. buz

buz rail workshops

No unfortunately. But the set with some skeletons in it that I did not know they did is 😀 Time to put a small mail order together I think. regards John
  9. buz

buz rail workshops

HI NorthBrit Thanks saddled white horse is for death I much prefer the Terry Pratchet point of view on death so Binky (Err I think?? ) his horse Is rather essential The essentials horse standing still and saddled I can always paint it white if I have to. Please let me know part number and who manufactures it or the set it comes in. Many thanks. My local hobby shop is 612Km away and phoning them is a pain it can take a while just for the phone to answered. regards John
  10. buz

buz rail workshops

Hi all Today we are coping the tail end of a cyclone so it is tipping down with rain. So roof progress is slow glue taking forever to dry. Looks like I will be looking for the vampire, death and the demon instead of working on the roof. Anyone know of a standing saddled white horse being available in HO or OO or one that could be painted white regards John
  11. buz

buz rail workshops

Hi all Needs a bit of glue on the left side to fix a slight curl in the roof but more or less ready for roof tiles. Looks a little less toy like with the passenger shelter roof on but not by much. 😀 regards John
  12. buz

buz rail workshops

Hi all All building parts stuck together. Next to make the roof for the passenger shelter another cut and try until it fits then finish tiling the roof. so it can be painted and finished, checked and fixed to the platform for final details. regards John
  13. buz

buz rail workshops

Hi NorthBrit Thanks for the kind words. So far so good using card is new to me the bigger problem is what to do with it when it finished. As well as an experiment its a fun project that a place will have to be found for it 😀 regards John
  14. buz

buz rail workshops

Hi all Platform The platform is balsa wood most of mistake in the middle will disappear under the building I got a couple of marks mixed up. The plank lines are created with a black Biro the platform was then stained with Cabot's Jarrah wood stain So looks like an Australian hard wood I put enough to make it darker than the more usual redish hew that people expect in super expensive furniture Decided against the steel wool vinegar stain which can be unpredictable and had it worked would give the silver grey color of old wood. regards John
  15. buz

buz rail workshops

Thanks for the tip will have to play with a scrap bit and see what works best to get the old grey wood look on the platform. regards john