About paul37688

• Rank
    Blue

Profile Information

• Name
    Paul
  1. paul37688

Speedlow

Hi folks, minor update now the dark nights are upon us proper. I will be spraying the track this weekend hopefully and then I will be able to start on the ballasting. This will be a mix of standard coarse N gauge size ballast for the main line coming in from the fiddle yard and into the crossovers leading to the reception line and loops then the loops and quarry sidings will be "ballasted" with very fine almost powder like stone to mimic the dross that you generally tend to find in and around quarries with my main inspiration being Peak Forest and the CEMEX Dove Holes quarry. So that will keep me busy doing that. Then I will need to find somewhere local where I can transport the boards to and put them up and give the layout another test to make sure all is okay before doing more track weathering leading onto the start of scenics Cheers Paul
  2. paul37688

Speedlow

Thanks Neil. I have switched to butchering up some Bachmann Covhops to convert them from vacuum braked to through piped with hand brakes just to give me something different to do.... but don't worry the layout work will recommence soon! Cheers Paul
  3. Now sold off site so therefore this For Sale advert is no longer valid. Cheers Paul
  4. Hi John, yes they are still available. But I am not certain if they would fit the Triang freightliner wagons as I suspect the containers might be slightly wider than the wagon frame itself. Cheers Paul
  5. paul37688

Speedlow

Another update. Board 3 and 4 tested okay with just one minor issue on the three-way points that I quickly got sorted. So it was off down the incline with the 37 into the fiddle yard for the first time ever under its own power. All lines and points ok. Then added board 4A onto the end tonight Thursday and tested all three together which just about fit between the back wall and the window sill! Fiddle yard feeds and tracks fine so then I tried the quarry headshunts hmmm dead?! Lets have a look underneath to see if I have missed something blindingly obvious. Checked the screw terminals and reconnected the wires on each side. Ahhh found it whoops missed those two the wires had not even been stripped and secured into the terminals on board 4. Switch DCC back on and sucess the 37 moves on board 4A quarry headshunts. So all seems ok just a few minor tweeks to make but looking good. Cheers Paul
  6. paul37688

Speedlow

Hi Philip, the switches are to change the frog polarity over in time with the movement of the rodding so just a mechanical process enabling the polarity change in the electrofrog peco points. Cheers Paul
  7. paul37688

Speedlow

Hi folks, quick update. All switches and rodding now in place. Boards now being tested in pairs and so far I have tested 1A and 1, 1 and 2, 2 and 3 and apart from one loose feed on a point and an additional feed needing wiring on another point all worked happily and DRS 37688 was trundling up and down nicely. I will try and move onto pairing up 3 and 4 tonight and if I have time 4 and 4A and then that will complete the first phase of electrical testing. Then hopefully soon I can find somewhere local like a church or community hall I can hire a room off for a day to take the boards to and put them up and give the whole layout a full test. Then I can make a start on spraying the track base colour outside on the balcony a board at a time and slowly start the scenics. Cheers Paul
  8. paul37688

Speedlow

Hi Phil, thanks for the comment. Yes bodging seems to be the way. Any here are the photos. The first photo shows the yellow plastic rodding with the translucent slippy rod inside it showing it running through the side of the baseboard and down to where the point is located along with the micro-switch - the one shown is Point 122 A closer view of the connection that I have had to fashion from the screw terminal parts from an electrical connector block minus the plastic casing. Onto the fiddle yard points that will be hand operated using the standard Peco point throw knobs that most modellers me included will cut-off when used on scenic sections. And two of the six modified micro-switches with the roller part removed and brass rod threaded through the holes in the two side bearer arms then up through the board and through the point tie-bar hole. Once I have completed all six and the micro-switches are screwed down and wired up I will of course need to swap the brass rods around so they don't fall out! Finally a photo of a standard micro-switch on left and modified one minus roller and centre pin on right. Hope these make sense! Cheers Paul
  9. paul37688

Speedlow

Hi folks, a little update for those following the Speedlow saga... Now that the boards have made it around the M60 to Bolton I have been able to do more work on finishing off the switches on the layout leaving the tricky board 4 until last. From the first photo above looking from the fiddle yard end/board 4A and 4 you will hopefully noticed that these two boards are split level with the fiddle yard on the right at a lower level only by an inch and using Peco code 100 track. As the front scenic part of these two boards is an inch higher my standard method of controlling the points and micro-switches using the coloured drinks stirrers connected to the plastic square tube then brass rod up through the centre of the Peco point tie-bars was going to be rather tricky to do. Hmmm! On the free-end of the square rod I can position the micro-switch and have the rod acting onto the roller end of the micro-switch arm. A bit Heath Robinson maybe but it works plus it allows me to get the point control installed and working first and then install the micro-switch second. With the point thrown towards where the micro-switch will be screwed down to the underside of the baseboards I can then depress the switch arm to latch the internal switch and then position the arm and roller right up to the free end of the square rod. Then a quick pilot hole through each screw hole in the switch casing allows me to quickly put two short screws to secure the switch to the baseboard. Then to make sure it works pull the switch rodding to make sure the switch un-latches and therefore the polarity flow changes over. So far it works nicely on all the main boards 1A to 3 bar one point on board 3 that is just the other side of the ramp that descends down into the fiddle yard so that was little challenge to overcome but a portent for board 4 ones! Anyway so due to the split level on board 4 the point rodding used previously wouldn't quite work the same. I had some time ago purchased some plastic tube with a slippy silicone like inner rod mainly used in model racing cars and planes poss with servo controls. So this stuff seemed ideal solution to sorting out the rodding for the five points on the scenic only section of board 4. The fiddle yard code 100 points will be hand operated with the Peco point tie-bar knob thingies and via brass rod through baseboards to micro-switch underneath. So the plastic tube n slippy rod stuff was used for all five points with an interface piece using the inside bit of a electrical jo block connector removing the clear plastic casing and re-using the two screws plus the brass bit. So the slippy rod goes in one end of the brass connector and the other end a short piece of the drink stirrer rod then into the square rod as before. Then the brass rod through the sq rod and through hole in baseboard and up into hole in point tie-bar as before. Each point was slightly different in location and requirements so they are all essentially using the same method and it has worked so far. I will post some photos to explain the above so that the words and pictures will make a bit more sense! For the hand-operated points in the fiddle yard that is two 3-ways and two short left hand points I wanted to try and keep any rodding to a minimum mainly due to the lack of space around the two 3-ways on the underside of the baseboards. I would still need to connect the micro-switch arms to the brass rod going up to the point tie-bar. So after a quick ponder I wondered about simplifying things hmmm well the roller part of the switch arm is held by two side bearers for want of a better description. So could the actual roller be removed along with the pin that held it in place. Only one way to find out for sure! So out with the Xuron cutters and a bit of fiddling later I manage to cut the head off the pin and then prise apart the side bearer so far so good. A bit more cutting and prising and I manage to free the roller piece but not the pin. The side bearer is bent yes but nothing a pair of pliers won't straighten back out. Eventually I get the centre pin out and I straighten up the two side bearers back to square then I am left with the undamaged arm with two holes that will now take the brass rod through and upto the point. Yes! So that's the way to do these ones for the fiddle yard so five more to convert the same way. I started on these fiddle yard ones this morning and got the first two laid down for the first 3-way point and connections wired and soldered up. Again photos coming soon to explain this lot if anyone still reading at this point ! Cheers Paul
  10. paul37688

Speedlow

Hi, following on from my last posting here are a few photos that I took at the open day. Still a long way to go but now I have the boards with me here I should be able to get a lot more work done perhaps doing a little bit a couple of nights per week as time allows. Ok first view of the layout from the fiddle yard end Board 4A looking to the other end Then one from the viewing side and one from the other corner Board 1A looking back towards the fiddle yard. I managed to get some work done in between chatting to visitors but mid-afternoon I wanted to erect all six boards so stopped what I was doing on the rodding and switches and put the remaining three board up amazingly the first time all six have been joined up together. Cheers Paul
  11. paul37688

Speedlow

Hi Neil, I will transfer the photos I took on my phone at the open day last week when I put the boards up for the first time as a complete set of six. Just one more board to add the rodding and microswitches to board 4, which should be fun as it is a split-level board with the lower level fiddle-yard at the back and the scenic side at the front. It was good to see the boards up and I had some good comments from members and visitors on the day. Cheers Paul
  12. paul37688

Speedlow

As promised a few photos showing DRS 37688 running along the two boards that I had just about managed to get working with the switches. I just have to replace the switches with some more robust microswitches that will still interface with the planned control rods and the link to the points themselves. I will be ordering these soon so that I can begin replacing the Peco ones and continue with the rest of the layout with a view to having some of it running at the forthcoming open day at my local club where I will get the chance to show and explain to my club friends and visitors what I am trying to achieve. And then once that is over I will be finally be able to bring all of the boards and layout stuff to my new flat so I can do more work on it now I have somewhere to do the work. Cheers Paul
  13. paul37688

Speedlow

Hello, I know it has been a while since I posted an update on the layout. My planned Easter working on the layout was thrown out of the window as I was suffering from a full on cold n sinus thingy. I did manage to wire up a few of the point switches but they were proving rather difficult to get aligned correctly underneath the board. Plus I wasn't happy about the long-term reliability of these Peco switches so I stopped fitting any more. Those that I had already fitted to the points on two boards 1A and 1 I tinkered with a great deal and managed to get these two boards running with my one and only (so far) DCC chipped loco DRS 37688. Except really its the wrong 688 it should be in RF Construction livery with Great Rocks nameplates and Buxton plaques..... someday I will chip my Limby model! Anyway so several test runs up and down proved that the power bus and districts to boards 1A and 1 were working correctly. One dead spot between the two points leading to the shunter length quarry headshunt had me scratching me head for a few minutes then it was doh no power feeds whoops. So that was easily solved by adding two feeds to the busbar and soldering them in. More soon plus photos Cheers Paul
  14. Bump anyone want these? Okay how's about £40 for all eight containers and no post or packing charges (probably £3-4 I would guess if I did charge)?? Please PM me if you want these first come first served. Cheers Paul
  15. Ah right maybe the same train? We did Glas Queen St to Cumbernauld then to Motherwell to pass through Mossend Yard. Then retraced back to Whifflet where got off and saw 66301 on Grangemouth to Daventry pass through. Then got 156 from Whifflet back to Central then later had a run out to Largs for the afternoon. Cheers Paul