Plugs

Profile Information

• Interests
    00 gauge BR(s)
    Hoe German
    N gauge German
  1. Bill Jones

Beaminster Road - Through Hardy's Wessex

As Tim will testify we're both blessed with wives who are fully supportive in our hobbies, In Tims picture Linda has spread her weight across a rather wide section of baseboard which would never have taken Tims weight and has started the filling in of trees etc to hide the electrical sockets on the back wall, A week ago my wife, Natalia, wad taking her first steps in soldering under-board droppers in places I can no longer reach. Bless them both. Bill
  2. Bill Jones

Beaminster Road - Through Hardy's Wessex

My first sight of of the Q1 was on a visit to Tims to see my first 00 and digital layout. After the gloriously detailed Fleischmann German locos that I'd been running for years the Q1 looked like a piece of 2"x2" timber with a few wheels stuck underneath. However, I made the change to British 00 and my first purchase was a Q1. I now love the look and the feel, so much I bought another, even though one is all that's needed. Both of mine are lightly weathered and I think they look magnificent.........................each to their own of course. Bill
  3. Bill Jones

Auto coupling in H0e

I'm building my first H0e layout, Kurort Willendorf, which has it's own thread. Having built several layouts over the years, in both N Gauge and 00 Gaige, I have always managed to convert Sprat & Winkle couplings to allow me full auto uncoupling and coupling with much success. However, H0e is another case, there seems very little room for the paddles, especially in height. Has anyone experimented with the various types of auto uncouplers in this scale with any successs. Any and all help and advice appreciated. Bill
  4. Bill Jones

Great Tunsley Dale (4mm 16.5mm fine scale )

As an avid scratch builder I'm awestruck by these wonderful structures. The research into getting every detail correct will have taken weeks. The overall look is extremely realistic. Thanks for posting. Interesting to see so many surface mounted point motors in the fiddle yard area, this must have helped in lining everything up initially. How many stay as such? or do you eventually hide them all? It's certainly an idea I'll try in the future as it's a real pain ensuring the entrance and exit throats allow trains to run in and out smoothly. Beautiful layout in every respect. Bill
  5. Bill Jones

Fordingbridge & Verwood

The line rarely carried rakes of more than three coaches, usually in sets. As Tim stated above there is a great wealth of his knowledge on his blog, and it makes a very good read. Having relatively short trains makes the viewing excellent as it allows the full length to be seen travelling through the countryside. I should also add that most, if not all, of the information I have on the correct locos and rolling stock has come from him in person, plus a great deal of reading of recommended books. I now have almost all the locomotives required, all renumbered and very lightly weathered. Next job on the stock is to try to add all the little details that were individual to each piece. Lots of work still to be done, I know It will never be finished in my lifetime.
  6. Bill Jones

Fordingbridge & Verwood

Thanks for kind comments All buildings are scratch built apart from a Wills greenhouse. I get a great deal of satisfaction doing he research and then constructing the buildings to suit. This way I know they are as correct as I can get them and that they are individual to my own layouts. More structure photos are available if anyone is really interested. The track plan as drawn with Anyrail. The layout size is 6.5m x 3m which gives a decent area of open countryside to watch trains wind there way through the rural scenes.
  7. Bill Jones

Glen Gillie a West Scottish 4mm 16.5 f/scale layout

Beautifully constructed and looks totally awesome now completed. Thanks for the detailed photo-story on the build.
  8. Bill Jones

KURORT WILLENDORF

Hopefully the admin will allow me to start a thread on my new layout, which is totally seperate to my Fordingbridge and Verwood layout for which I have another thread started Kurort Willendorf is an HOe depiction of a German end station. I have written a brief intruduction to the fictional history of what is a factional location: "Kurort Willendorf Is a factional municipality in the district of Görlitz, in Saxony, Germany, located very close to the border of the Czech Republic. Following the defeat of the Protestant armies by the Habsburgs in the Battle of the White Mountain in 1620, many Protestant Czechs found refuge across the border in the hills of Upper Lusatia, forming villages such as Oybin, Bertsdorf, Jonsdorf, plus many others. Originally these villages would have been self sufficient, growing their own food, cutting their own wood etc. However, trade with other villages, and more importantly with the nearest large town of Zittau gradually built up and expanded. The wild, heavily wooded and mountainous terrain made trading extremely difficult and often hazardous. By the 19th century it was decided amongst a group of these municipalities to have a narrow gauge rail track built linking each to each other. The narrow gauge making it easier to build a line containing the tight radius curves required to navigate between the natural cuttings in the landscape. Most of these railway stations were end-stations. Where the loco would swap ends on the train, after carrying out the shunting duties, and head off to the next station on the line, some returning up the line of entry, some being split at the point of entry to head off in a different direction. Trade varied between the villages depending on their location and what small industries had developed over the years. Willendorf exported timber to Zittau, sandstone in both block and crushed form to various other villages and locally built furniture to Zittau, and then onwards. Small locally produced goods were also sent by rail to local markets, vegetables, meat, fruit, etc. Willendorf brought in fairly large quantities of meat, milk, grain etc. Smaller goods were similar to those being traded out. The need for food stuffs being brought in was the terrain, with the village being built in the bottom of a valley with the mountains reaching into the village itself. Although trees were being constantly cut and shipped out these were growing on the mountain sides, leaving unsuitable land for crop planting. By the early 20th century some of these villages started to attract occasional visitors wanting to take in the natural beauty of the countryside and to take the local waters with the village becoming known as a Spa (Kurort) lending its name to the railway station. This developed into a small, but useful, addition to the economy of the area including the independent Railway Co becoming the KWB, the Kurort Willendorf Bahn." This is the track plan as designed with Anyrail. Total board size is 2m x 350mm, with a rotating section board to be added at the left hand end to allow full turning of trains. The baseboards are now built and I'mm well into scratch building the main structures. More pics to follow if any interest is shown. I hope there is, I enjoy following other modellers builds, so hope this is reciprocated.
  9. Bill Jones

Fordingbridge & Verwood

As a new member, today, and following a couple of requests to show my layout progress to date I thought I might post a few photos to allow people to see how it has progressed over the past couple of years. It is a section of the old Salisbury & Dorset line with two of its stations, Fordingbridge and Verwood. Both stations had good facilities, especially Fordingbridge, but neither had a head shunt. I chose these two as the goods areas are entered from opposite ends to each other, which gives me a great deal of interesting shunting movements. Starting with Verwood, as with all the layout still much to do. Then onto the Station building, goods shed and signal box for Fordingbridge. Fordingbridge more or less as it is so far. All buildings and structures are scratch built using photo, diagrams and architects original drawings where obtainable. I've tried to keep each station as close to the original as possible within my space constraints. Hope I've not over burdened you with these, it could be a while before I dig the camera out again. Thanks for looking Bill
  10. Bill Jones

New member from Hampshire

"Is Tim a driver?" .Very much so, in fact he's just bought a new one, to him, I think that's the 4th or 5th over the p ast 5 years.
  11. Bill Jones

New member from Hampshire

Thanks for the welcome, I'm sure he'll not mind me naming him, it was my very good Modelling friend Tim Hale, who's given me an enormous amount of information on the Salisbury & Dorset line. Also the mixing of ideas can help in both directions. In part return, I've scratch built many of the buildings on his layout over the past few years. I've seen him this morning, when he drove the 90 minute run each way, simply to help keep me in good cheer through a rather serious illness.
  12. Hi all, Have been recommended to this forum by a good friend. I'm building Two layouts at present, the main being a 20'x10', 00 gauge based on the Salisbury & Dorset line set in the mid fifties. It comprises 2 station, Fordingbridge and Verwood. Both are being built as near to original as possible, and kept at opposite ends of the layout to give a sensible run through open countryside which makes for good viewing. The opposite side of the layout contains a 10 track fiddle yard, which although very workable, is still a little too short on some tracks for my liking. My other layout is an H0e attempt set in the far east of Germany, just a few miles from the Czech border. This is a portable layout, measuring just 2440mm x 350mm (8'x 14") Contains an end station with loops for locos to pull in, uncouple and pass back down the train after watering and refuelling, re-couple the train and pull out. Will have sector plate off-scene to allow for train change and turning of complete train. If there's any interest I'll try posting some pics.