• Birthday January 17

Profile Information

• Name
    Tim Hale

Recent Profile Visitors

9,585 profile views
  1. Tim Hale

Beaminster Road - Through Hardy's Wessex

Loco building - old skool This is lost in this box-opening world but some modellers still build stuff. This is how it looked when it arrived and this is where it is going except it will be BR 30548 Or rather where it should go except it needs a fair amount of re-working. A new chassis and tender (the latter is a Bachmann N Class), the etched chassis is from SEF and a High Level motordrive It will need to be stripped and dipped and upgraded It should be ready in a few months.... Tim
  2. Tim Hale

This link may explain a bit more.... The Petite Properties kit is fairly basic but it is robust, all the pieces fit and every example is utterly unique. Some folk do some amazing things with a covering of air drying clay which they scribe to look like rough stone. My favourite method is a render coat of cheapo ready-mixed decorator's filler, spread it on like butter, let it dry for 24hrs and sand it until smooth, then apply a thin wash of water colour. The picture below is not my work, it is a bit too rough but you get the idea of what you can achieve...
  3. Tim Hale

Dible's Wharf - a modern micro

Unfortunately, Life has got in the way of building the layout and rather than waste precious time on Dibles Wharf, I will continue to build Beaminster Road. All the bits will be sold at amazingly reasonable figures:- Really Useful 71ltr box SMS Custom built boards made for the 71ltr box Hornby DCC-installed Peckett R3615 Roco 10775 acessory decoder Resin waterline barge Offers gratefully received and immediate response Tim
  4. Tim Hale

A couple of years ago, I 'discovered' the pleasure of laser-cut card buildings with really well designed kits from Stangel and Josswood but these were German outline, now I am modelling the Southern Region in the West of England. Petite Properties have a good reputation for really nice laser-cut kits in MDF, they are very accurately cut and robust, I bought a couple. This is the start of Washtub Cottage, rather typical of a small rural dwelling in West Dorset. The outer finish is Stangel Acrylmasse, two coats were needed, the window sills are painted in white artist's acrylic and the natural wood colour is Rowney diluted Sepia Dye. The roof of the main building and porch is Redutex 076PC121 weathered tiles The homemade ridge tiles will be folded and textured card but at the moment I am making some rainwater drainage from bits of brass. After that, it will need considerable amounts of weathering.
  5. Tim Hale

Hints from Hornby

Half a week's wages on a Ruston 48DS? When exactly was £156 the average wage in the UK, this isn't even a lunchtime.... ..... However, to be realistic, at £78, these are remarkable value, trying to put together the elusive Judith Edge kit will set you over £125 in bits alone using a High-Level motordrive and half decent wagon wheels, let alone the time making the beast. I regard Hornby's planned releases as rather interesting, certainly more confident than Bachmann's endless repaints. My pre-orders are almost exclusively from Hornby plus Kernow's sublime exLSWR Road Van. There again, my glass is always half-full. Tim
  6. Tim Hale

exLSWR 4-4-0s

The perceptive of most modellers is that the BR steam era was characterised by dirt and decline, a false image normally espoused by those who dismiss whatever they do not understand. The reality, is one of dynamic change, endless variety when BR's Modernisation plan of 1955 heralded a new age of traction and the demise of steam. It is notable that there are few groups dedicated to BR Steam whilst social media seems overflowing with Banger Blue this and post-sectorization that, unfortunately what is unspoken is the lack of variety in both operation and stock of modern railways merely to be replaced by odd paint schemes. A sole Facebook Group tries to buck the trend:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/2111265285858032/ Personally, it is no secret that my 'soft spot' is the exLSWR Drummond 4-4-0 and whilst the T9 is well known, there were five other classes. Of these, the L12 and S11 were the unsung heroes of the operating department, Bert Hooker, once took an eleven coach boat 'special' non-stop to Southampton with an elderly S11 without any loss of time although the tender was almost empty of water. Here are a few images:- Just one S11, 30404 exBournemouth on a Salisbury up passing West Moors, the rest are all L12s and D15s. All the images were once part of my late father's collection, captured within a 45 mile radius in Hampshire and Wiltshire My late father travelled behind S11 30434 on the Hants and Surrey tour of the Tongham cut-off in 1953 S11 30404 exBournemouth passes West Moors on an up Salisbury over the S&DJR Below, all L12s, basically T9s with a larger boiler. Below two images of 30465, the last D15, on down Lymington boat trains. These could be over eleven coaches and were tightly scheduled, they were replaced by SR V Class.
  7. Another question, why is it impossible to delete our posts?

1. Philip

Philip

I dont think it has ever been requested, i think most people make edits.

What is the requirement to delete a whole post?

2. Tim Hale

Tim Hale

Because, some posts go unanswered and become irrelevant. 

8. Tim Hale

30119 was specially reserved for working royal trains - a unique position for a pre-Grouping engine. When not in such service it worked from Dorchester shed where it is seen here about 1948 still in malachite green but with its BR numbering and lettering. As Beaminster Road's passenger locos reflect those allocated to 71C Dorchester shed, 30119 is rather appropriate. The end came when 30119 was relieved of her duties during the 1952 Royal visit to Lee-on-the-Solent when 34011 Tavistock hauled Pullmans - Minerva, Isle of Thanet, Aries, Orion and Phoenix (for the Queen) The Hornby model merely needs a wash of dirty water to tone down the rather verdant green.
  9. Hi,

Any chance of updating the image gallery or is it a self-do task?

1. Philip

Philip

Do you mean the 5 images on the homepage?

I have changed it to show 5 random images that will change periodically.

10. Tim Hale

Reality check Estimated Costs:- Really Useful 71ltr box £26.99 SMS Custom built boards made for the 71ltr box £35 Four Peco 75 turnouts + track £60 Buildings + details £105 - Petite Properties offer excellent low relief building appropriate to St.Mary's Lightingis Chinese-LED strip + controller £11 Control+power Roco MultiMaus System secondhand £55 Finally:- Stock - your choice, one loco + five wagons Recommended reading:- BRM January 2018 - Phil Parker builds Didsbury Green Yesterday, we visited the site and this is the same location as 30096 (see above) crossing Britannia Road:- Please compare the two photos, the van is parked on the old trackbed but the gate pillars (far right) are still in place, Southampton FC stadium in the background.
  11. Many thanks to those responsible for fixing the forum, well done.

1. Philip

Philip

Sorry it took so long!

12. Tim Hale

The Dible's Wharf project has been rumbling around since 2011 on RMweb but like so many other folk, that was brought to a forced and premature end only to resurface ironically due to RMweb's new favourite, Phil Parker, who built a micro in a sturdy storage box for a Christmas Tree. Thankfully Phil described the process in BRM and Justin of SMS offers the same laser cut baseboards that fit exactly in the 71ltr box. The box concept was the answer to my search for a layout that could be operated without the need to stand for 8 hours a day, be transported by one pensioner in steam and still retain a modicum of plausibility. The arrival of Hornby's Peckett W4 and Dapol's B4 were unforeseen in 2011and both hold the key to the success of the project to capture a tiny corner of Southampton. And better, fuller description of the project is here:- https://dibleswharf.blogspot.com/ However, a few images give an idea of what to expect, enjoy. The Joiners is shown as it an iconic local landmark and the best small venue for live music in the South.
  13. Tim Hale

Within living memory, most large villages had an independent motor car repairer, possibly a legacy of the local blacksmith. These establishments would attempt repairs on most motor vehicles, supply and fit tyres, coal, paraffin, even fix your bicycle. Away from the coast, West Dorset, is somewhat off the beaten track and Tilly's Garage would have been typical of the area, just a single wooden building with an attached office, it would serve the community until Mr Tilly's retirement. Tilly's Auto Repairs started as a Wills garage, the roof has been painted to represent corrugated asbestos with the moss starting to gather. It has a fully detailed interior of correct period advertising and piles of old tyres outside. The car is an Austin 7, an economy model that was produced from 1922 until 1939 in the United Kingdom by Austin. It was nicknamed the "Chummy" or "Baby Austin" and was at that time one of the most popular cars produced for the British market and sold well abroad. Before the Land Rover became available on the home market, vehicles in rural communities tended to be suitable for the area, West Dorset's narrow lanes and short distances were ideal for the little Austin. They could go almost anywhere, in 1928, an Austin 7 was driven to the top of Ben Nevis by a Mr G F Simpson of Edinburgh. Moreover, easy to fix and economical, they were still a common sight in the 50s. Tim
  14. Can we have an update on the problem, please?

Thank you.