Bronze
  • Birthday 02/09/1984

Profile Information

• Trader
    Y
  • Interests
    Crewe Alexandra FC, Derbyshire Cricket Club, Brass Bands

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

1. Chris

Chris' workbench

The Ratio coal staithes could never be considered the most in-depth or challenging modelling task but it has still been an enjoyable kit to make up over the past few evenings. The beauty of a little kit is that the odd five minutes here or there (which is all I get currently, with a five-month-old) soon leaves you with something that looks good. I wondered about taking step-by-step photos so that I could write a step-by-step blog post about it (Michael Campbell and James Hilton are both particularly good at this) but, in a nutshell, I just glued it together, primed it, sploshed a few different shades of acrylic ‘wood’ colours and then splashed a dark wash over it. Job done.
  2. Chris

Chris' workbench

Another 16t wagon built with no modifications except 3 link couplings, my preferred choice. Its primed and has a painted chassis and now just needs the decals adding. Then it’s on to the weathering. Nothing ground breaking, but good fun. And that’s what it’s all about, right?
  3. Chris

Chris' workbench

I have a strange thing for 3 link couplings. I hate the standard tension lock and have experimented with Kadees but not particularly got on with them. Once I tried 3 links though, I’ve never looked back. The Cory wagon above is one I’ve had for ages. A Hornby model, I weathered and then promptly forgot it. However, I’ve now dug it out and sorted the couplings so it can join my roster. With the addition of this to the ranks, and taking delivery of the latest Gordon Edgar book yesterday (Industrial Railways of Wales), it looks like I’ll be heading over Offa’s Dyke for the location of my industrial micro.
  4. It's a pig of a job, Dave. I agree with Philip though, imperfections make it. Looking good!
  5. Chris

Test Tracks

Thanks, Dave, appreciate the response. The shed at Bennerley disposal point looks like a perfect example to base it on too!
  6. Chris

Test Tracks

Hi Dave, hope you are well in these strange times. Quick question for you, I've got the SMS layout in a box baseboard that I want to keep for an 009 layout I think, so do you think this baseboards (or the slightly slimmer version) would work for a steam version of this old chestnut....? Using the shed as the place to switch locos etc? Thanks in advance, Chris
  7. Chris

Pembroke Haven

Looks good, but perhaps if you substituted the sidings in the fiddle yard for cassettes you might get another coach in the rake? Cassettes would need to be pretty sturdy though, I guess.
  8. The fork for me, Dave. No way of shunting the kickback on the top one so seems a bit redundant for me and adds clutter in a space where every mm is sacred.
  9. Excellent, Dave. You've really captured the look of the prototype photo. How hard to put together was the lift?
  10. Chris

Chris's Fleet

New coaching stock has also arrived.... BR MK1 Tourist E4536 Second Open Coach in Crimson BR MK1 M4363 Second Open Coach in Crimson and Cream
  11. Chris

Chris's Fleet

Recent addition to the fleet ahead of a possible new version of Somewhere in Shropshire.
  12. Lovely backscene, Dave. How effective it looks in those last two pics. Quite the place for a holiday! What are the hotel rates like in New Walmington? 🙂
  13. Chris

Chris' workbench

Finally, an update on the Sentinel project! The repainting was done ages ago and so was the lining on the side panels. However, I couldn’t fashion any lining for the side of the bonnets – and there were none on the decal sheet I bought – so I have ummed and arred about what to do for a long time. Add in the fact I hadn’t put the windows back in, or attached the nameplates, and you can see the project was in limbo. Not any more. I bit the bullet and left the lining as it was, quickly added the nameplates and then wrestled the ‘bottom of the beer glass’ windows back in place. Therefore, it’s as finished as it will be for a now and I’m pretty pleased with it.
  14. Is there any 'off stage' area Dave? That tamper is quite a piece of modelling!