buz

Members
  • Content Count

• Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by buz

1. buz

new year new project

Hi all Well with the new year coming I decided to commence a new project. The MSLR is still in use and needs a good clean which will get done when I work how to do so without damaging anything. So since I have been tinkering around the edges some what with narrow gauge I decided to take the plunge and do it properly it will be 10' X 8' I rounded up the sizes from some pretty funny measurements. its NOT The San Juan Central but the book has been used as a sort of guide as has A Narrow Gauge Adventure This is the first of three frames for the layout no pretty fancy carpentry here just brutalist practical engineering. I call it alum-girder bench work on account of the aluminum angle instead of the heavy wood L girder. I can easily move this on my own something I could not do with the normal L girder construction. regards John
  2. buz

new year new project

Hi all Well the replacement Tori is just about done it just needs the black the keen eyed will notice the lines marking the black. Once that's done the base can be trimmed to fit the area and scenery at the back of the track completed. regards John
  3. buz

Beaminster Road - Through Hardy's Wessex

Hi Tim That does look nice. Am I right in thinking the back slope is longer or is that just a trick of the picture? Don't overdo the weathering also needs a really nice garden to go with it. regards John
  4. buz

new year new project

Hi all Not a very good picture but it does show the size of the oopsie with the Tori arch the red one on the right is the new 20mm war games arch with a little trimming on the base it can be shoehorned in it needs a light sand and second coat of paint and the base painted. regards John
  5. buz

Dible's Wharf - a modern micro

Hi Tim Interesting there are a few small locos available now some more reliable that others so I say go for it and more pictures please regards John
  6. buz

new year new project

Hi all The Tori arch turned into OOP'S FAIL far to big. When using war games items that is a risk because of the funny way they do scales. But never mind a smaller one that should be more suitable has been found and ordered. The thing is If it was a very much larger layout the original purchase may well have been usable as I have been able to find no standardization on how big they are, it is the over all proportions that are the critical thing on the finished gate not its over all size that is of importance kettle is calling so I am off for coffee. regards John
  7. buz

new year new project

Hi all Well after a bit of searching have found the Tori Arch. If it fits it will be going on the back LH corner of the layout I say If because it is really meant for War Games rather than model railways. Fortunately there doesn't seem to be std sizes for them. Once assembled it will be painted red with a black base on the posts and the model base stone of some sort. regards John
  8. buz

new year new project

Hi all Well the basic scenery is now at the half way point I hope it sticks properly. The PVA glue that went on before the scatter was dry, before it was all on and the 50-50 PVA and water went on. It has been a hot day 31c and is still a bit warm. Hopefully will be OK with out to many holes in it. regards John
  9. buz

Pottendorf

How very American of them regards John
  10. buz

Pottendorf

Hi Tim I see this is uncluttered like Beaminster Road defiantly not the usual? twisting and turning up and over thousand miles of track in a space that should only have a mile and a half of track that German layouts seem to be. What are the the two extra terrestrial looking devices on the platform near the station house. regards John
  11. buz

Hornby Dublo DCC

hi Captainkirk I personally don't feel the need for DCC I like you want to personally control my layout and a DCC loco is not worth double what a DCC ready loco is. I also feel no need or interest in sound either It doesn't match the real thing for a start and is very annoying, during my working life I learned exactly what they sound like. and I don't need that annoying noise from my hobby. The sound on a Big Hauler I have lasted 15 minutes before I took the battery out of the tender never to be replaced. If however some one comes up with a good way that is easy to understand and make or install to replicate Electric staff operations I might be interested. regards John
  12. buz

new year new project

Hi all I have only been able to do a few minutes here and there at the moment So I am trying to do work that makes a bit of an impact. The vegetation is starting to thicken up. full front on view of the station The station area still needs some detail work like a working lamp pole single passenger a bit more greenery along the fence and maybe a cat. regards John
  13. buz

Hi Tim DCC concepts ?? regards John
  14. buz

new year new project

Hi Tim Why Japan I know the quality of the donor motor chassis brand from my "N" gauge days (a long long time ago) Cost the passenger train, goods train and rail car sets with addition of motor chassis and trailer wheel and weight set work out at about fifty pounds per individual train pack to working model. Where easy and affordable to order from Japan so not a large expense if it turned into an oops fail. Easy to modify display kit into working model they are designed for that and make it round the Jouef Decauville curves which are about 6" radius and the track is no longer manufactured. I have never done a micro or narrow gauge before good winter project OOP'S its now summer and it seemed like a good idea at the time. By comparison the EX WD WHR Baldwin was near enough to one hundred and twenty four pounds is no good for the micro but will work on the larger layout when I get back to it but its just a loco at that price not a whole train. The real narrow gauge layout that is started is just a bit bigger and only base frame at the moment I got kind of distracted then volunteered for a Japanese cultural event because it is Japanese out line. So have to get on with it faster than I like doing things. The micro is just left overs from other projects and a few bits that where specifically bought for it oh! and a mistake purchase that was the station fence grabbed the wrong one but at least it is of use now regards John
  15. buz

Hi Tim It will be interesting to see how playing with the platform dimensions works. regards John
  16. buz

new year new project

Hi all The station area is taking shape TGW fencing has been added and a bit more platform surface Hopefully the currently highly visible join will be less obvious when the paint has properly dried. It had to be extended to suit the rail-car being used on the layout, I have no idea if the white post is correct but it makes logical sense as a marker for the rail car driver. The white spot has since gone a plaster speck not noticed before the picture was taken. I still find it amazing that a small amount of work on a layout this small has such a big impact. regards John
  17. buz

Hi Tim Thanks for the links very interesting. Look forward to seeing more liked the pictures of the short trains with bigish looking locomotives. How are you doing the plants that add a splash of color commercial made or home made? regards John
  18. Hi Best instructions for these put wallet back in pocket don't purchase them to begin with. Try that with a seven coach HST or 8 coach (Modern) locomotive hauled train I think that will have fun trying to get up that slope. They have a horrendous grade that many modern locomotives with a reasonable train just can't cope with due to lack of steel rails and magnadehsion. that design used to be a pinkish brick color back in the 1960's these really are a train set item and a very old and well past there use by date design. They rise something like 1" in 15" far to steep for non magnadehsion and steel rails and you need the additional side walls etc to hold them and the track together. The recommendation for the steepest model railway grade is something more like 3/8" in 12" a very big difference. If you must use a commercial grade making product instead of making it yourself out of wood as part of the base board construction, the woodland scenics grade track base is a better bet not that I personalty would us that either The best use for incline piers I have seen was a load of the more modern looking Hornby high piers used to hold up an entertainment pier built by a certain member of this parish but they are all the same height no grade. regards John
  19. buz

Hi Tim Simple is good many people make the mistake of overcrowding the layout with track leaving precious little space for scenery. As long as there is enough track for your needs and enough for operating fun that's fine the old less can be more. I assume the upper loop siding is where the creamery is? regards John
  20. buz

Cheap and cheerful creamery

Hi Tim Have only just seen this thread all I can say is WOW! great work. I am guessing the creamery started as a coaling stage and water tower and or sanding facility possibly made by Ratio. Still needs a business name, possibly a food grade stainless steel bulk milk tank? and lights. As to one of your earlier comments no I try and avoid the like button, I see it as being lazy when I should really be saying something. regards John
  21. buz

Non-kettle buffer question

Hi Tim If you mean the hut you are using as a scale hut. I think it is the Crossing Keepers hut. regards John
  22. buz

new year new project

Hi Franco Well its got two already it's Japanese outline and it's narrow gauge The rest is work it out as I go regards John
  23. buz

new year new project

Hi all Well the hill is dry and the cut is starting to be blended in. A train will get passed the rocks and bushes and the nasty bright green stand out like a sore thumb, suppressor is now not so obvious The rock face still needs a minor touch up and I found a couple of stones outside that sort of match the rock face to dump at the base of the cutting. Hopefully I can find a couple more. When I get this completed I can get back to the real layout. regards John
  24. buz

new year new project

Hi all It's not easy being green For my next trick leave it alone for how ever long it takes to dry, a lot longer than usual because of the concoction used for the final coat regards John
  25. buz

new year new project

Hi all Forgot to add this pic last night this is the rock face that is mostly hidden from view not a single rock casting used regards John