All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Yesterday
  2. Chris

Corr-ish

Despite never having visited, I have a keen interest in the Corris railway. Aside from the Thomas the Tank Engine links (I was a huge fan of the books as a child, with a particular fondness for the Skarloey railway) the only other explanation I have is that I always develop an affinity to the smaller, sometimes more downtrodden. It’s evident in my choice of sports teams (Crewe Alexandra and Derbyshire Cricket Club) for starters! Anyway, as I start to dabble in 009, I wondered if the Corris railway actually offered a good possible starting point. Corris station is, simply, a tuning fork. The line then runs in front of a Welsh slate wall, behind which is housed a church. The line can be seen roughly drawn in on the photo above. This got me thinking. I have a Tim Horn ‘scenic board,’ just 25 centimetres deep by 45 centimetres wide. What if I made the curve out of the station more severe, bending it around the wall in front of the church (see red line on photo below)? The blue dashed lines are purely there to indicate a back scene, although I would imagine the the layout would end at the station fence on the right hand side, with the track being sandwiched along a wall at the front and the church wall. You might spot that there is a lot of inspiration taken from the excellent ‘Shifting Sands‘ by Colin Peake. The slate walling looks like it could be fun to do, whilst the church is as close as possible to a dead ringer as the church in the Dapol range. All in all, it’s a project that I am feeling very excited about. The first job is to work out f I get the flexi track to bend appropriately.
  3. Last week
  4. I’ve even had layouts that went wrong!! I built two micro layouts that looked great on my bench but were a disaster at exhibitions! One even got dumped in the local tip on the way home!!!! I sold the stock at the exhibition. To think I nearly did that to Walmington Pier Tramway which thankfully became New Walmington Pier, and the rest is history!!
  5. You have some great pictures of locomotives and rolling stock. I do like the class 66s and 68s.😉
  6. Hi Jack this is a great thread, you have an interesting variety of locomotives. I hope your loft layout build goes to plan and it will be nice to see some pictures of your build progress.
  7. BRman

buz rail workshops

Hi John I have just been catching up with your workbench modelling, it looks really good! Trust me we all have moments when things go a bit wrong when modelling, it helps with the excitement.😊
  8. Morning this is a diorama that I thought I would share with the forum. The diorama is 200mm x 200mm and is modelled in OO gauge. The era is 8-9 and it shows line side workers fixing a length of fencing. I am pleased with how it’s turned out and I can use it to photograph some small diesel locomotives and rolling stock.
  9. Can I say Dave, this is a great looking layout with some really nice modelling detail.
  10. Hi I’m Kevin and I live in the beautiful City of Durham. I have been modelling in OO gauge for a few years now and hope to participate in some of the forum discussions.
  11. Did the Silverfox DCC MRC Exhibition in Milton Keynes on Saturday 17/08 and I had a great time there. The night before the show: Layout set up, but the stock and controller remained boxed up in the car overnight. Just before opening time: Works Car 400 and Safety Training Car 888 test the layout. Car 56 at a very crowded departures shelter as a Toyota Crown Taxi passes by. The Arrivals Shelter collapsed once again and now replaced by a Hong Kong Tram Stop. EFE KMB (Kowloon Motor Bus) behind.
  12. UPDATE 21/08/2019: Well in traditional fashion, I've been very quiet both on the forums and in the hobby. The good news I'm not far off starting designing and building my new loft layout which will sit in the roofspace above my house which I bought in September last year. Depending on the height I build it at, I could get as much as 18x14ft or there abouts. I'll see how things pan out.... In the meantime, I've been building up the stock for the layout and the new additions so far this year sit at: 43048 East Midlands Trains (Hornby) - TTS sound fitted but sound files are MTU which aren't correct for EMT 43055 East Midlands Trains (Hornby) - TTS sound fitted but sound files are MTU which aren't correct for EMT 43285 CrossCountry (Hornby) - To gain TTS sound from EMT powercars 43321 CrossCountry (Hornby) - To gain TTS sound from EMT powercars 143607 Arriva Trains Wales (RealTrack) - Legomanbiffo sound fitted, along with pro repaint into newer ATW livery. Requires transfers to be purchased and unit reassembled 153368 Great Western Railway (Hornby) 373005/06 Eurostar (Kato - N gauge) - One of them random 'because I want to' purchases during a sale at Hattons 6x East Midlands Mk3s (Hornby) - Full rake to be obtained. A TSO requires a repaint job on one side owing to previous owner's actions 3x Network Rail RHTT FEA-Fs (Hattons) 5x ScotRail Saltire Mk2Fs (Hornby) Cheers
  13. Earlier
  14. What makes a good post? I am not exactly sure. Many of mine are somewhat self-indulgent. I see something I want to investigate and I write about it. ....There are older threads about Skelton Junction and surrounding lines on www.railforums.co.uk which I reference towards the end of this post.The reason I wanted to look at this was utterly self-indulgent.Long ago, .... long, long ago .... I lived in Broadheath. My home was less than a mile from Skelton Junction. Doing some investigation was as much about my roots as it was about railways. .... This short piece is the result:http://rogerfarnworth.com/2019/08/15/skelton-junctionThe really significant piece of work was what prompted my interest in the first place - an article by Eddie Johnson in the November 2003 issue of Steam Days.
  15. buz

buz rail workshops

Hi all We all have that modeling project or two that went wrong. This is one of mine a desert house for war-games that was made too small not a big disaster But in terms of what it was supposed to be pretty major it's now a possible model railway building if I ever work out what on earth to do with it. I kept on with the work because it was going OK and except for glue and paint it cost me nothing. walls and roof left over foam core board A bit of polyfilla and some coffee stirrers and a bit of gyp-rock tape for window bars basicaly done Now I just have to work out what to do with it as it really does have a middle eastern look to it. regards John
  16. I have just picked up a copy of Global Railway Review. The July 2019 issue. The feature article focusses on infrastructure in Slovenia. It can also be found on line (https://www.globalrailwayreview.com/article/85929/slovenia-rail-infrastructure-investments). Jo, my wife, and I travelled to Slovenia in 2006 and stayed in Bled. Reading the article in Global Railway Review brought back memories of that holiday. The linked post highlights the changes in the Slovenian Railway System over the years and the Railway Museum. http://rogerfarnworth.com/2019/08/12/slovenia-railways-and-the-slovenia-railways-museum Don't miss out on the photographs from the museum in the appendix at the end of the linked post.
  17. This is probably my last post on the S&MLR. It covers the line and the military depots that it served from 1941 until it closure in the very early 1960s. http://rogerfarnworth.com/2019/08/12/the-shropshire-and-montgomeryshire-light-railway-and-the-nesscliffe-mod-training-area-and-depot-part-2
  18. All Cars Stop Here 所有的汽车停在这里 00 Hong Kong Tramway street scene microlayout (www.hongkongtramlayout.webs.com) A quiet day today and it is about time I tidied up the crossover on this microlayout. Before (18/06/19) and After (11/08/19) photos.
  19. All Cars Stop Here 所有的汽车停在这里 OO scale Hong Kong Tramways Microlayout will be out at: Silverfox DCC Model Railway Club Exhibition, Oakgrove School, Venturer Gate, Milton Keynes MK10 9JQ www.hongkongtramlayout.webs.com
  20. Colonel Stephens loved to experiment. Railmotors were a particular theme. He bought a series of Ford Railmotors for his different light railways. One set was purchased for the Shropshire and Montgomeryshire Light Railway. This post provides an introduction to these small vehicles: http://rogerfarnworth.com/2019/08/02/ford-railmotors-on-colonel-stephens-lines-in-general-and-on-the-smlr
  21. I went on a quarry tour around Dove Holes today, which included a quick look at the loading sidings (no activity today due to the tunnel being flooded) and a ride in one of the huge dumpers.
  22. Chris

Chris' workbench

Thanks class 66. So, here's an update on the Sentinel. It's painted and I've lined both sides higher up. The yellow ends weren't as bad as I thought, using a cocktail stick to place the paint on worked well. Still lots to do and the above is just plonked in place. It's getting there, though.
  23. The 'nameplate' is very effective. Great work.
  24. Blimey! That's a large collection.
  25. Nice to get back on here,banks road stil going strong....

thumbnail_IMG_0086.jpg

26. Heres were im at with my Bachmann 37s was upto 100, but sold 50 off since last year. money used to fit sound in these....
  27. New update heres my latest weathered rusted 37/4 this has been scratched and cut,filled in with three tone rust effects, lightly airbrushed over... then sealed....
  28. class66

Chris' workbench

Had nice catch up here Chris... great work as always...
  1. Load more activity