piermaster

All Cars Stop Here

9 posts in this topic

Sorry I had to delete the previous thread of the same name due to a corrupted file. 'All Cars Stop Here' will be my next tram micro-layout based upon a Hong Kong street scene where cars change direction using an emergency crossover. Work will start in February following my return from Hong Kong as part of a cruise from Shanghai to Singapore. 00 scale 16.5mm gauge, 3ft x 9" baseboard. Bachmann HKT cars 45 and 106 and Works Car 400 demonstrate the idea on the mocked up layout plan.

Layout Mock Up 140618.jpg

Got bored with office work and as it's our 30th Wedding Anniversary tomorrow (16th) I decided to make a start on 'All Cars Stop Here'.
Track is down and secured to the MDF base with 'Hard As Nails' double sided tape. Track infill done using Auhagen 16.5mm track infills - there are infills for 12mm and 9mm gauge tracks which will be trimmed to infill the points.The two Hong Kong tram shelters are assembled but supported with the reel of tape and a glue bottle until they set. New Walmington Pier now sits on top of the new track to provide weight whilst setting!

Stage 1 150618.jpg

Started infilling between tracks on 18/06 but will leave crossover exposed to represent newly-installed trackwork as I hate infilling points!!

Crossover 180618.jpg

My garage is one of the coolest places in the house so I spent the afternoon of 30/06 infilling the tracks of my new microlayout 'All Cars Stop Here' which is Hong Kong influenced and centres around cars being reversed using an emergency crossover, After which I tested it for running and wheel clearances. Whilst testing I realised that I only have space for one works car storage and two cars to be turned in both directions, never mind it should make interesting operating at an exhibition. See the YouTube video 'HongKong Tramways - Swinging the trolley pole Pt 3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7wVeMhUKFA Each photo captioned.

300618 1.jpg

Works Car 400 stabled on the new crossover works site whilst 106 is by the westbound shelter and 56 is beyond.

300618 2.jpg

106 sits by the eastbound shelter, 400 sits on the work site, 56 is by the westbound shelter and a KMB bus is ready to depart.

300618 3.jpg

106 is at the eastbound shelter as 400 sits on the worksite in front of Bachmann Scalescene modern offices.

300618 4.jpg

56 moves on as 106 arrives at the westbound shelter and the KMB bus leaves

Spent an hour or so planning the backscene and I like the Bachmann Scenecraft low-relief modern office block. With two already and two more ordered, supplemented with the Corgi Kowloon Motor Bus Olympian, I think I've got a typical modern city backscene on the way.

010718.jpg

samw and Chris like this

Are they 'stackable,' Dave? Could build up the base of a skyscraper and have some window cleaners at one as a cameo?

7 hours ago, Chris said:

Are they 'stackable,' Dave? Could build up the base of a skyscraper and have some window cleaners at one as a cameo?

With a bit of modification they could be stackable, other than the corner revolving door entrances, plus at £30-35 each it would get very expensive and like my aborted multi-storey garage attempt, the buildings would be heavier than the layout!!

Chris likes this

Another day in the cool garage doing a bit more on my OO scale Hong Kong Tramways influenced microlayout.

070718 1.jpg

All four Bachmann Scenecraft modern office blocks arrived. Track edging complete and ground throws added to the newly-installed crossover.

070718 2.jpg

Mocked up with the three working trams in place. All three will most probably stay on the board demonstrating the short-working emergency reversing process both ways.

070718 3.jpg

Close up of the newly commissioned crossover with rails painted in reddish pink to represent mill scale as seen on new track and Caboose Industries 218S ground throws with Peco adaptors. The switch gaps have been stuffed with paper to keep the contact surfaces clean during painting and prior to ballasting.

070718 4.jpg

Looking down on 'All Cars Stop Here'