Bob Hughes

The Crossing

5 posts in this topic

Many years ago (too many) I read Travels With Charley... And owned a die cast camper van.

As I get older I keep remembering things like this, but forgetting where I left my boots when I took them off yesterday!

Anyways, two recent eBay purchases, a couple of pipe cleaners and some sand have resulted in this.

Husky camper (1).JPG 

Husky camper (2).JPG

Husky camper (3).JPG

I wouldn't advise holding your breath while waiting for a train to turn up on that railroad though!

Hi Bob

And how long has this been here and I have only just noticed it.:blush:  :angelnot:

If the scale is right you just have to cut it into the new improved layout somewhere.

regards john

Edited by buz

Hi John, sorry for not replying sooner but I've not been using this forum for a while and only just dropped in to see what's happening.

"Travels with Charlie" would have to be on a disused section if it were included in a larger layout. Not only is it under scale (approx. 1:72) but the track largely buried in drifting sand and the bits that are visible are plastic, and 12mm gauge, so the FCPyF's trains might have a bit of trouble running through this scene!

1 hour ago, Bob Hughes said:

.... and the bits that are visible are plastic, and 12mm gauge, so the FCPyF's trains might have a bit of trouble running through this scene! ....

Where's the problem? That's why FCPyF abandoned it :D

Bob Hughes likes this

It's not the only abandoned railway in Sierra Oculta.

san-pedro-branch-2.jpg

When I was building this area of the layout my intention was to have a branch terminating in a hidden siding behind Rio Paleta.

san-pedro-branch-1.jpg

The idea was abandoned due to difficulties with the gradient changes involved at the junction.

EDIT - With hindsight it may be possible to "reopen" the line by paralleling the branch and main lines and moving the junction from Cumbre to Lago Cumbre. The main line levels out at the lake station (it's where banking engines are detached from trains heading to Cuarto) so minor alterations to the baseboard here would permit the installation of a turnout. From there the branch roadbed could be raised slightly to run on the level until it meets the existing formation climbing towards the tunnel.

Edited by Bob Hughes