AJV1

Smallest Possible Curve Diameter for N/OO Gauge 'Roundy-Roundy' Layout

Question

So, I asked a similar question to this before, but I'll open it up more generally now - mainly as I'm in a total dilemma as to which scale to model in! :huh:

Basically, I want to know what - roughly - the minimum diameter curve would be to build a loop of track on a baseboard, splitting the front half of the baseboard into the layout itself and the back half as fiddle yard area. This will basically tell me the smallest possible baseboard depth I can run in either scale. Ideally I'd love to run a 'roundy-roundy' kinda layout, but I don't have much room - particularly depth - to play with so I'm curious as to what I have to work with in either scale. 

I've heard varying estimates about N gauge, that around 18-20 inches is probably the very smallest one can go. Was curious to know what the corrosponding figure would be for OO too. It might help finally make my mind up! ;) (;

6 answers to this question

If you have a look on Budget Model Railways Youtube page, they have a video on it. You can only use small 0-4-0 locos, pushing it with a Class 08, but you can get away with it! Here is the Link.

AJV1 likes this

2 hours ago, Pudding390 said:

If you have a look on Budget Model Railways Youtube page, they have a video on it. You can only use small 0-4-0 locos, pushing it with a Class 08, but you can get away with it! Here is the Link.

Interesting! 18 inches is TINY. I'm wondering how much more it would have to be to fit full-size locos and Mk2/3 coaches? 

They also have another video on the channel displaying Some larger locos going around 1st radius curves. Worth a look! Check it out via the link!

I went down to 20 cms in 016.5 scale, of course only short wheelbased engines and wagons were allowed to run on it. For a Mk2/3 coach I'm afraid they will be quite ugly looking on such tight curves :) (:

On 1/22/2018 at 11:15 AM, Franco said:

I went down to 20 cms in 016.5 scale, of course only short wheelbased engines and wagons were allowed to run on it. For a Mk2/3 coach I'm afraid they will be quite ugly looking on such tight curves :) (:

How they look won't matter to me as the sharp curves will be hidden in tunnels/off-scene. :) Everything on-scene will be prototypical-looking.