AJV1

Pilgrim Hill - South London 1987-2017 in N Gauge

4 posts in this topic

So, deep breath...here we go. 

About seven years after my last (overall failed) attempt at building a layout, the time has come again to embark on an ambitious modelling project. A touch less ambitious this time, though? :cheers:

This time, I'm sticking to more achievable goals, a much smaller scale, and I'm going back home. I'm a South London lad at heart, born and raised in my early years in the same place as my family - Streatham and Tulse Hill - before moving out to Kent, then a brief stint living in Eltham whilst at university. And ever since I started travelling on trains on my own just over ten years ago, it's almost always involved the South London lines - Catford Loop Line in particular. And so, inspired by the likes of Denmark Hill, Streatham Hill, Wandsworth Common, Tulse Hill etc, I started scribbling down the ideas for what will hopefully become...Pilgrim Hill. :) (:

1gSrFLT.png

The plans are all designed to fit on a 6ft x 3ft board, with the front half of the board (18 inches deep, 1.5 ft) being the layout itself and the back half being fiddle yard areas. Basically, I wanted to do a roundy-roundy layout in an area that still wouldn't take up most of my room - hence why OO and bigger scales are out of the question. I'm nervous about diving into N gauge, but also reasonably optimistic that I can get what I want out of a layout without it becoming some massive millstone around my neck. 

The idea with the track plan being to emulate the entry into a typical third-rail South London station - proposed to be somewhere just south of Clapham Junction, London Victoria and London Waterloo - and a couple of sidings for extra operational interest, with the tight curves at each end masked by scenery. In this case, a prototypical old Southern-style station building at ground level at one end, and tunnels/bridges creating a cutting and scenic break at the other. The name is taken from a road just outside West Norwood station, so that'll give you an idea for the vibe we're going for here ;) (;

As for the era? A blend of my favourite era - late-1980s large-logo BR & NSE - into the era I know now, 2007-2017 privatisation. That should cover all bases; some of my favourite diesels in the former, some interesting unit/freight consists AND steam train railtours in the latter! :thumbsup:

The above track plan is only roughly to scale, so there's potential for the running lines/platforms to be spaced a bit wider. Let me know your thoughts, baseboard construction should hopefully start this month! Also given I am new to N scale, your recommendations for best models and rolling stock for the eras - particularly Class 33s, 47s and 73s, as well as old and new EMUs and preserved steamers, do let me know. 

Fluo66 likes this

Hi AJV1

Good start making it achievable but don't forget to push the envelope occasionally, I assume from the plan its a roundy roundy layout.

"N" gauge stock has come a very long way since I was modeling "N" and I am not sure who makes what any more.

Looking at the plan as drawn your back scene looks to just go straight across the back have you thought about curving it round the sides note I say curve because corners always look like corners and curved corners disappear into the scene.

Try and create the illusion of space by not crowding in to much stuff and make sure it looks like that truck could get into that yard space.

And don't forget to plan in a start point for that extension that just is not going to happen it eventually does or at least gets a very serious thought going back to zero ops is not fun

regards John

5 hours ago, buz said:

Hi AJV1

Good start making it achievable but don't forget to push the envelope occasionally, I assume from the plan its a roundy roundy layout.

"N" gauge stock has come a very long way since I was modeling "N" and I am not sure who makes what any more.

Looking at the plan as drawn your back scene looks to just go straight across the back have you thought about curving it round the sides note I say curve because corners always look like corners and curved corners disappear into the scene.

Try and create the illusion of space by not crowding in to much stuff and make sure it looks like that truck could get into that yard space.

And don't forget to plan in a start point for that extension that just is not going to happen it eventually does or at least gets a very serious thought going back to zero ops is not fun

regards John

Hello John!

Once bitten, twice shy - my last attempt at a layout was a OO gauge L shape end-to-end layout, and although I did manage to get the track laid, it was far too ambitious and took up far too much space and I ended up scrapping the lot. So I'm deliberately keeping things simple this time :) (: 

It is indeed roundy-roundy. Main appeal of me going N gauge. Just wouldn't have the space otherwise to do roundy-roundy in any other gauge! 

That's a good idea, even a subtle curve can really add space and something else to the scene. Might put the lines on a slight curve too. :) (:

Actually, I have another idea for an extension...that would involve turning the back half of the board, the fiddle yard area, into basically another layout - two layouts on one board effectively! We'll see how it goes :) 

Thanks,

AJ

Been drawing up a little inventory of potential rolling stock for the layout, and even at the work in progress stage it's pretty impressive thus far...

dxz8fxu.jpg

Some thoughts: 

- Wow, N gauge doesn't have that much in the way of RTR EMUs or even DMUs does it? :confused: The Graham Farish 4-CEP seems VERY rare too, so if I can find one in BR Blue that'll be the holy grail of this layout. 

- It's fascinating how, through modelling heritage railtours, just how many of my favourite locomotives of all time I can feature on the layout without them being period correct at all? Look at all those steamers! Who'd have thought you could easily run an LNER A4, LMS Duchess or Class 52 Western diesel locomotive on a layout set in the late-1980s onwards, theoretically decades after all those locomotives went out of mainline service! :) (:

- Definitely most looking forward to the 1987-1997 NSE era. The range of locomotives and liveries is my favourite of them all - although the nice mix of 66s, 68s and 37s should mean things will still get interesting with freight workings in more modern-era running days.