Jack

Gilfach Forgoed

17 posts in this topic

Sign.png

So a recent conversation with a friend has brought a shack to my attention, and a perfect little project to work on until I sort out a bigger layout.

Shack, surely not? Absolutely! Check the Wikipedia page out. With platforms only measuring 16m, not even a 153 fits on properly so a local door job for the train crew and passengers. 2 lights on each platform, complete with shelter and platform screens, all of which are recent upgrades/additions.

Photo credit to Jamie Spencer

26540327_2078351389060967_1088864146_o.jpg

Will make a great self-contained diorama/micro layout for my 153 and 143 to utilise. Going to model the station in the dark, and utilising the box from the failed competition entry I did. Here's the plan:

Plan.png

One thing that should also be mentioned is, this is apparently the only railway station in the UK on the mainline network that has no station sign identifying where it is. Nothing. It has some timetables at the top of one of the ramps, but that's it.

First job will be clearing the light amount of clutter off the old box board and filling in the ballast gaps where the crossing used to be. Then it's onto the platforms and embankment as well as the road bridge. Hope to scratchbuild a lot of stuff using textures printed off my computer.

Let the challenge begin.

Excellent! In the Santona book Model Railway design Manuel there is a layout plan which adds a set of crossover points just to add a bit of operational potential. 

However, absolutely love this, and the idea of a tiny platform! 

Get cracking, sir.

That's amazing! I really must explore the Welsh railways some day, they seem fascinating in a very small and atmospheric kind of way. I love the short platforms - reminds me of Beauly, which I believe has platforms only 15.06m long! 

Looking forward to seeing how this progresses. :) 

13 hours ago, AJV1 said:

I love the short platforms - reminds me of Beauly, which I believe has platforms only 15.06m long! 

I knew there was a station this reminded me of! Sure Michael Portillo walked it (not an arduous task, granted) on Great British Railway Journeys.

32 minutes ago, Chris said:

I knew there was a station this reminded me of! Sure Michael Portillo walked it (not an arduous task, granted) on Great British Railway Journeys.

Yup! I came across it watching the All The Stations series :) 

hi

Oh! the prototype for the archetypal train-set station :D

regards John

17 hours ago, piermaster said:

It even makes my former Single Line Terminus Essellty look like a grand terminus!!

It looked grand to me, Dave!

AJV1 likes this

Snip snip cut cut. Lots of card cutting, glueing, fixing and posing, I have the following.

27016901_1654105947980704_920506032_o.jpg

26914272_1654211234636842_1357251132_n.jpg

samw, piermaster and Chris like this

What's the plan for scenic breaks? I like the footbridge added at one end, is the other going to be hidden behind thick trees/foliage? :) 

2 hours ago, AJV1 said:

What's the plan for scenic breaks? I like the footbridge added at one end, is the other going to be hidden behind thick trees/foliage? :) 

That's exactly the plan!

12 hours ago, Jack said:

That's exactly the plan!

Ideal! I've been considering a terminus/little through station in Norfolk layout, and tree masses make for quite a nice but not very obvious scenic break. 

On 16/01/2018 at 4:51 PM, Jack said:

26914272_1654211234636842_1357251132_n.jpg

“Yum! More tasty trains,” murmured the mutant tunnel hungrily, his rectangular eyes thinning whilst his cavenous mouth opened wide to devour the 143 and 153...

#facesinthings