buz

new year new project

35 posts in this topic

Hi all

Well with the new year coming I decided to commence a new project.

The MSLR is still in use and needs a good clean which will get done when I work how to do so without damaging anything.

So since I have been tinkering around the edges some what with narrow gauge I decided to take the plunge and do it properly

it will be 10' X 8' I rounded up the sizes from some pretty funny measurements.

its NOT The San Juan Central but the book has been used as a sort of guide as has A Narrow Gauge Adventure

DSC00334.gemcreek (1).JPG

This is the first of three frames for the layout no pretty fancy carpentry here just brutalist practical engineering.

I call it alum-girder bench work on account of the aluminum angle instead of the heavy wood L girder.

I can easily move this on my own something I could not do with the normal L girder construction.

regards John

Jack and Bob Hughes like this

Both the San Juan Central and Hancock's NG Adventure are excellent sources of inspiration. If you're not already there it would be well worth joining the Narrow Gauge Railway Modellers forum, membership is free but the forums are not available to non-members. ngrm-online.com

Also search for Ted Polet on YouTube, his OO9 modelling is well worth looking at. Like this - 

Not forgetting the ever-valid advice though, look at the real thing as well. There's a whole world of variety out there.

Hi Bob

Thanks for the advice and I am over there as well :D

That is Just a small section of a much more substantial layout that is not as large as you would think it is, the rest of Ted's layout is very impressive.

I have seen a few of Ted Polet's video's

It will take a bit of saving to go and look at the real thing Its cheaper to fly to a lot of overseas places than to fly to Victoria

and visit the PBR :cry:

regards John

Hi all

Cue ZZ Top its got legs :D

frame one.JPG

guru (1).JPG

If you can't do this, or you do not want to do this on your new model railway bench work then it is just not strong enough.

regards John

Hi all

DSC00339.JPG foot.JPG

Well its been red hot and humid into the bargain for the last few days.

Just got enough time today before the Council regulations put an end to industrial type noise for the day.

To get the adjustable feet on the layout nothing fancy just a "T" nut in the leg and a nut and bolt for the adjustable foot.

regards John

Hi all

IMG_7720 (2) board.jpg

the only solid piece of overall board has now been cut and shaped.

Tomorrow will stretch bed sheet over frame then mount the piece of board the old bed sheet is to deal with any oops moments until the scenery can be done properly.

The last thing I want is for a train to hit the floor first section just about done two more to do then the rest of the track bed.

regards John

Hi all

top.jpg

Done for now have to do normal things like clear the drive way and go to the big smoke for a new car,

so won't be doing much of anything for a couple of weeks at least.

That's section one done for now two more to go.

regards John

Hi all

Well it was relatively cool today so got some time in the shed.

Turning big pieces of wood in to little pieces of wood for the next section of bench-work

The next one is to be 6' X 3'6" which will give the total width of 10"

As you have already seen how it goes together no point boring you with a repeat performance.

regards John

Hi all

Well the roster is over for another couple of weeks Yay no calls\:D/

So the top frame for board?? two is done have to go back to the sheet metal works don't think I have enough 3mm aluminum triangle gussets to brace the legs left.

Once up on its legs its time to put the first set of pattern makers dowels in place.

Well that's it for now.

regards John

Edited by buz

Hi all

Well given that more board work is out for now some time was spent getting some trains ready to use.

these are display models by Tomix that can be used provided you use the extras packs Tomix make to turn them into usable models.

One contains a motor TM-TR02 I need two and could only find one the other kits contains proper model railway wheels weights and couplings, admittedly "N" ones rather than 009 ones but that can maybe change later.

IMG_7811 (2) jap loco 1.jpg

IMG_7812 (2) jap loco2.jpg

wagons1.jpgwagons2.jpg

coach.jpgcoach2.jpg

just have to paint steps white ,then add steps to loco then all done.

The open wagons had to be repaired as the tabs on one side broke these are very thin and fragile.

regards John

Posted (edited)

Hi all

Second section done just needs joining plates and pattern makers dowels so the two sections can be joined.

then onto third section.

IMG_7879 (2) section.jpg

sorry about slightly blurry picture it was taken with Nicky's mobile phone

regards John

Edited by buz

Posted (edited)

Hi all

Today we get the first idea as to how big the layout really is.

The first two sections have been leveled and clamped together ready for pattern makers dowels and bolts.

Picture from Nicky's phone.

IMG_7894 (2) trial join.jpg

Me caught having a break can't rush these things:D

regards John

Edited by buz

Posted (edited)

Hi all

The pattern makers dowels where a real pain to get right

IMG_7896 (2) dowel.jpg

I had to have a couple of goes at getting the depth right.

regards John

Edited by buz

Hi all

Just which lunatic had the idea of the last board being an odd shape :wacko: .

Spent the afternoon wrestling with that odd shape and am only getting there very slowly, as you have to triple think each stick.

Will be glad when I get onto the other half so the aluminum can be attached and the straight forward bit can happen.IMG_7931 (2) odd.jpg

regards John

Hi all

Now an idea of the odd shape and size of the last section

real odd.jpg

The short piece of aluminum is fixed in place the long one is just sitting there so an idea of shape can be got.

It will have to be properly set up and cut to length about where the bit of wood is siting across both of them.

regards John

Hi all

Well the odd shaped board has turned into a two hay bale nightmare.

It is just about ready for legs now but still needs a few bits of wood added.

I decides this board is going to get the pieces needed for the fascia boards to be attached, added at construction and the cable mounts as well

I want this one done completely except track bed when it is set up with the other two for pattern makers dowels.

The other two can have the fascia mounts added after this one is done then it can be moved from the work shop to where I plan on putting it.

regards John

Hi all

The odd shaped section is almost done it is on its legs

Just the leg braces and fascia mounting strips to go on then it can be sheet-ed and joined to the rest of the bench-work

odd table.jpg

regards John

Posted (edited)

Hi all

Safety is not something that gets mentioned a lot with model trains oh! its safe its only a toy train kind of thing.

Well this is not always the case aluminum is a good mounting for cable clips of one sort or another there are a few types around.

Well of course the self drilling screws are always to long even the real short ones leaving a sharp point to get you when you least expect it.

My solution for this problem was bicycle valve caps filled with construction glue it seems to work, but if some one has a better idea would love to hear it.

I got a strange look at the bike shop when I asked for 100 valve caps please :confused:

safe screws.jpg

regards John

Edited by buz

Not really sure I understood the problem, do you mean that screws are driven into aluminium without having wood at the other side? and, if so, I can't understand what they're there for. :) (:

5 hours ago, Franco said:

Not really sure I understood the problem, do you mean that screws are driven into aluminium without having wood at the other side? and, if so, I can't understand what they're there for. :) (:

Hi Franco

The screws go through a cable clip and the alluminium but even the shortest ones go right through leaving an exposed sharp point

All the wiring will be attached to the clips on the opposite side of the alluminum

regards John

PS I should have listened to you when you said narrow gauge was addictive:D

Using nuts and bolts instead of screws would solve the problem of sharp points sticking out.

17 hours ago, buz said:

PS I should have listened to you when you said narrow gauge was addictive:D

And furthermore one's happy to be addict too :cheers:

Back to the problem, as Bob said the use of bolts and nuts will solve everything. :) (:

21 hours ago, Bob Hughes said:

Using nuts and bolts instead of screws would solve the problem of sharp points sticking out.

True will be doing that for terminal blocks should have run out of screws by then

and the bolts can be loctite-ed and cut off

regards John

Hi all

Oh so tantalizingly close to being complete base bench work this weekend.

But did not make it you will note the legs are primed this could not wait as the legs on this last section had started to bow.

So the expedient of painting them starting with the side that had shortened to cause the bow I managed get most of it out,

It doesn't always work but this time it did.

Trim the sheet and join it hopefully tomorrow.

so close.jpg

regards John