Kev

oo gauge porter cabin

Question

Hi I'm looking for a Porter cabin for my layout which is oo gauge, can any members suggest best place to purchase these from.

Kev

5 answers to this question

Posted (edited)

I'm guessing you don't mean a little platform hut for porters? Searching for Portacabin / PortaKabin rather than Porter cabin will be more rewarding.

http://www.knightwing.co.uk/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?cart_id=1504085464.111&product=OO-HO_Building_Kits&pid=178

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Model-Railways-Trains/180250/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=portacabin 

PS - Not actually that difficult to make yourself using styrene sheet or even cornflake packet card, have a go, it might save you quite a bit of money!

Edited by Bob Hughes
Adding PS

Hi Bob yes that's the ones I mean thank you for the link.;) (;

Portable buildings like these quite often have their windows covered, either with removable shutters or with steel plates welded over the openings. This makes them even easier to scratch build. Start with a suitable sized block of wood and clad it with card. The door can be simply drawn on or scribed into the card, window shutters glued in place. External framing, where present, made from plastic sprue or shaped styrene rods (a good model shop will stock a selection of sizes). If you want the windows to be glazed cut holes in the card sheet, and paint the central block of wood black before assembly.

windows (1).JPG

While not a Portakabin the station building at Frog Rock was created by cladding a block of wood with coffee stirrers and corrugated card. The window "glazing" is the internal block of wood, painted black.

Kev likes this

Bob it amazes me what items you can have lieing around the shed that can be made into things for our railways.;) (;

Bob Hughes likes this

Always be on the lookout for cheap substitutes. Frog Rock is actually the only area of the FCPyF that uses commercially produced ballast. The rest of the layout uses various grades of sand and grit available from my local pet shop at a fraction of the price charged for similar materials in model shops. The finest grade is chinchilla dust, perfect for modelling sand, and the coarsest used is bird grit.

Chris likes this