piermaster

More mucking about with New Walmington Pier

15 posts in this topic

More mucking about on New Walmington Pier! (OO9 scale).

I need to get this running 110% perfect for the Festival of Model Tramways at the London Museum of Water and Steam, Green Dragon Lane, Brentford TW8 0EN on Saturday and Sunday 22nd & 23rd July. So I decided that the stores tram is never going to be a smooth runner and therefore withdrawn.
The modified Egger-Bahn stores van has been repainted, and a coupler added to one end of the Toastrack Car and the isolated rail joint at the shore end removed.

Shore 130617.jpg

Car 1 and Van 130617.jpg

Car 1 130617.jpg

Pier 130617.jpg

Bob Hughes likes this

Loving this Dave. Quite like the van attached to the tram. 

The pier end looks super; does the merry-go-round, er, go round?

All thats missing is a band stand with a brass band belting out the Dambusters!!

5 hours ago, Chris said:

Loving this Dave. Quite like the van attached to the tram. The van doesn't do every trip along the pier, around 1 in 5 trips.

The pier end looks super; does the merry-go-round, er, go round? Yes it does. 

All thats missing is a band stand with a brass band belting out the Dambusters!!  For a teacher, I'm beginning to worry about you!! The pier is set 1900-1914, and the Dambuster was when? Go to the back of the class if you don't know!!!

Chris and Bob Hughes like this

Tut tut Chris. :blush:

Anyway, the racket from the carousel would clash with a band... And there's no escape until the next tram back to dry land is due.

Chris likes this

Never really thought about that... Labour and Love then :-)

Regardless, looking super.

Incidentally, being a PE teacher, can I claim ignorance of history? :-)

Layout and lights.jpg

The two music stand lamps arrived today from China and tested on the layout in the garage with no additional artificial lighting and what a difference they make! I will paint the black clasps the same colour as the backscene.

Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines.jpg

The Corgi Wright Biplane arrived recently and at 4 inches wingspan I will find a way to incorporate into the backscene as my 'Magnificent Man in His Flying Machine'.

NWP Lights.JPG

Tested the music stand lights and painted the clamps to match the backscene.

Wright Plane on backscene.jpg

Close-up of the 'My Magnificent Man in his Flying Machine' otherwise a Corgi 1903 Wright Brothers Flyer secured by a plastic spigot on the backscene.

Flying over New Walmington Pier.jpg 

Fly over New Walmington Pier or ride the tram along it? Your choice!

Layout changeover - 'Terminus - All Change!!!' has a six-week rest and 'New Walmington Pier' is tested for its exhibitions at St Peter's Church, Woodshawe Rise, Braunstone, Leicester LE3 1RH on 5/11 and Marshalls Park School, Pettits Lane, Romford RM1 4EH on 11/11.

NWPier 091017.jpg

NWPShore End 091017.jpg

New Walmington Pier all ready at Braunstone Model Railway Exhibition at St Peter’s Church, Braunstone, Leicester on Saturday 04/11/17, It was a great little show and a very fitting tribute to the late Reverend Canon Chris Burch who organised these exhibitions until his sudden death exactly a year ago.

At Braunstone 041117.jpg

New lighting units make a big difference!!

After cutting back some track at the shore end of New Walmington Pier (009) to eliminate the rough running I was left with a blank area. I recently found a shortened Bachmann Cable Car body and thought 'What an ideal Shelter' so after a bit of touching up and weathering, The former Walmington Town Tramway horse-drawn body will be relocated at the shore end of the pier as the new shelter.

As John (Buz) says: 'A model railway can be completed but its never finished'

Pier Shelter 110218.jpg