Jack

Jack's Workbench

340 posts in this topic

Looks super Jack, a productive day.

Shame to see that lovely Caledonian livery go though. It's a thing of beauty.

Jack likes this

Both projects looking very good sir!!

Doesn't look half bad now! 67029 has received its final varnish and been reassembled as per

6074bec3-fc21-4674-826c-0a6a6001fd5c.jpg

Nameplates will be acquired in 2 weeks time at the Manchester show. Then it'll be into packaging and handing over to its owner.

The 150 has progressed slowly. The yellow fronts have been done and headlights sorted out. Just trying to sort out the pink paint for the doors before I make a start on the branding.

Chris, StaffsRail, samw and 1 other like this

On Tuesday, October 17, 2017 at 0:37 PM, Jack said:

If you do mate, I'll send you the remaining transfers. The pack comes with loads, enough for nearly 4 units.

I've bought myself one now. 

15 hours ago, StaffsRail said:

I've bought myself one now. 

Drop us a message if you still want the transfers mate.

Trying to sort out the GWR 153 that I didn't quite finish from earlier in the year. Few transfers to go on, and every time I try and readjust them they tear and screw up. Maybe I'm too used to the better quality Railtec ones now and don't have the patience for the Precision ones? I'm now out of spares, and very close to stripping the model and starting again, but opting for an easier livery, perhaps basic FGW blue to match the 150? It'd certainly be easier...

Frustrated.

3 hours ago, Chris said:

Deep breath. Leave it for today and come back to it with fresh eyes.

Exactly what I've done. Got one last go before I run out of transfers.

Visited the Manchester Model Railway Society's exhibition today and managed to pick up a few necessities, including some superglue and First Group pink paint for the 150 project (long overdue paint).

One of my 2 'big' purchases was a tiered OO gauge display stand made from laser cut MDF. It's something I've been eyeing up for a while now, but when I saw it available at the show for a bargain price of £25, I decided to snap one up. I'm assuming it's a new product to their range, as it's not on their website yet. No instructions yet (again, waiting to be uploaded onto the website) but a bit of logic and it was together in no time.

IMG_20171202_172633_copy.jpg

Very impressed. Looks the part and showcases my stock really professionally. It even has etched railway sleepers where the grooves are for the wheels to sit in - subtle detail.

The lighting in the lounge where this is isn't the best, so I'll fit some LED strips to the shelf at some point. I'm also going to paint it so the models stand out even more. Thinking of black as the colour?

Chris, CazRail and samw like this

The display stand has been sprayed black this morning, and drastically improves the look of it.

In other news, the FGW 150/9 project has taken another step forward as the doors are now pink and cantrail lining has started.

74b1ccff-681e-439a-9c48-34dbfef37f69.jpg

e0d077b6-c601-4153-8216-831b0b9aca73.jpg

ec5fa65e-ba72-4ba1-9190-aa98c9c2d8f7.jpg

Close up photos don't do the model that much justice, as masking lines and such show up. Nevertheless, I'm starting to really like what I'm seeing. The cantrail lines have gone on one side on each coach. The other side will be done after work tomorrow before the main logos and such will go on. I aim to get the respray side of the project completed before my trip to London on Thursday afternoon.