Jack

Jack's Workbench

340 posts in this topic

It seems to be wrong putting a photo of a loco or wagon on Craven Mills (scenic reasons) in my Basford Parkway topic, so from now on, all pictures that are workbench type things (eg. new locos, projects, maintenance etc) will be found here. To start off, here are 4 pictures of my lovely 37114 which arrived this morning. This loco used to belong to Philip (F1p) on Windward Railway, but he decided to get rid and its now in my hands :) (:

5324373750_d2f7dcb1c2_z.jpg

5323769137_e405bd8479_z.jpg

5323770183_ef9f53c31e_z.jpg

5324377394_c33f8b40d9_z.jpg

Also, ive decided to renumber my trains (decoder numbers) as I am starting to get a bigger range and people sometimes, when they play with them, they forget the numbers. So, they are to be renumbered to logical ones which are easy to find. For example, 66701 will become #01. 153324 will become #24. 37114 will become #14 :) (: Simples.

mattc6911 likes this

Pictures looking great even if it is a 37, the background looks real realistic. The weathering really does add that extra rouch, something I have never done to my locos looking forward for future updates :)

Ill second that Brad! The weathering is fab, and its something I need to start on soon.

Get you :P Its a beast, and the first ever weathered loco of the fleet :D

Wow, the weathering looks a lot rougher in those pictures than it does in real life!

that 37 looks so good and as already said the detailing behind looks so real.i have 2x 37's and they both pull so well.

Blimey, been some time since I updated this ;) Well, there wasn't a reason for it, but now there is :D After Phil's advice of using graphite filings to weather light-coloured surfaces, I decided to go up into the railway room and get a light-coloured loco... the only one I fancied weathering really that was suitable for a bit of grub was my lovely ViTrains 37201 in Metals sector livery. So I filed away at a pencil and collecting a load of graphite filings. Using my finger to dab on and smooth the filings, and then a brush to remove the excess, I have come up with what I think looks very impressive. Go easy on me chaps :) This is my first try at weathering (no light-coloured wagons to try it on :( ):

5700287884_6e65084bf2_b.jpg

Weathered 37201 by Javelin395, on Flickr

5699727173_e24b4b3c4a_b.jpg

5700293872_256409f2f7_b.jpg

Enjoy ;) Let me know what you all think

Thank you Sir Richard of Congleton. Glad you like it.

Not bad at all for a first attempt!

And the best part being, you can take it off so easily and re apply, or make streak marks so easily!

Wow, I'd never heard of that method before! I love it Jack.

Can I make a tiny suggestion? Maybe you could 'rub out' the muck over the number to make it look as if someone has wiped the number clean?

I'm off to look at my stock and try this method of weathering. Simple but genius!

Thanks Phil and Chris. Glad you both like it. Is it indeed simple, but really effective! Ill be working on a few more locos soon, probably being 47739 next :) I will make those changes later Chris. Thanks for the suggestion.

Well done jack,good job.another tip for bodyside weathering is to work top to bottom,giving the streak effect,otherwise cracking first effort!

Thank you Bob for checking out my work. Am honoured to have you say it is good. I suppose we all gotta start somewhere! I will get my brush out and start to get the streaks going down, concentrate more dirt around the exhaust area, and then rub away near the numbers :)

Thanks again all.

No problem at all jack,you only have to ask! Cheers,bob

Hello matey,

I did write a load yesterday and enclose pics two but it came up with internet explorer can't display the page when i posted? lol so all i'll say is very good 1st attempt and its good to see you doing it a lot of peeps are scared to dirty a nice loco up but you've gone for it and not a bad job for your 1st attempt kida.

I'd say follow wats bin said as guidance and if you can brush some or add some muck in to the crevises that would look good to the bits were the washers never get two + also if you can get right next to the grills were you've missed with your finger as they'd be fairly dirty next to the ridges and the grills to suck a lot of crud in so if you can go over the body grills two then your onto a winer good stuff anyway an i'll keep an eye on how you get on matey.

Cheers, Jon.

For streaks, i would advise a cotton bud to apply it, the graphite sticks much better when applied with a cotton bud rather than a brush.

Thanks Jon and Phil. I will get into those little joints soon as I know it looks rather odd without it. I never knew that cotton buds worked well. Thanks for the gen Phil ;)

One of my mates, Will Snook, was doing live demonstrations of weathering at the CHC exhibition I went to on monday, and it happened to be at a very good price. 3 locos got weathered (thus being GBRf 66701's chassis and exhaust, GBRf 73204 to look very grubby indeed and Colas 47739 looking grubby but as if someone has tried to clean it). Pictures will follow shortly.

Some of you may have read that I bought a Hornby OTA wagon the other day... and it isn't complete without some miniature logs to go with it! Rather than paying for plastic versions that Bachmann will be making, I thought that going into the garden, snipping some small twigs and cutting them down to size would be a lot easier, cheaper and more realistic too. A lot twigs later, and I ended up with this:

imgp7842small.jpg

Realistic huh? Comments are appreciated :D

TWright and 7APT7 like this

very nice jack,the real logs look a lot better.i built some cambrian kits ones a while ago,heres some pics.keep up the good work,bob otajob1.jpgotasjob2.jpg

7APT7 likes this

Thanks for sharing Bob! They do indeed look excellent.