buz

buz rail workshops

30 posts in this topic

Hi all

Since every one else is at it I thought I would have a go and start my own work bench thread.

The first project is nothing fancy no precision measurement or cutting in fact Nicky is watching me like a hawk when the razor saw comes out.

The inspiration comes from YouTube videos on Polish narrow gauge and the West Lancs light railway.

Ok I am making a small narrow gauge platform which will be done as a scenic piece in the vane of the little things Noch used to do. 

Using a bit of 4mm industrial plastic as a base no cutting required the platform size is the size of the bit of plastic.

First off some grass mat was stretched and glued to the base using Bond-Crete all weighted down with a bit of 80Lb rail so it dried smooth and wrinkle free.

Don't ask to me to wrap Prezzies for you bottom view

56b83bc13379c_DSC00295(2).thumb.JPG.985b

Top View

56b83c6e965ce_DSC00294(1).thumb.JPG.bbe0

You will have noticed the 4 x 2 evergreen strip that is the platform edging the stones where marked out using a coffee stirrer.

Like I said no precision measurement and grooves were worked in using the razor saw with no worrying about boring things like square or neat.

The edging is painted using Citadel paints the cement lines Kommando Khaki, the side of the stones Dawnstone, and the top of the stones whitescar.

The white stone tops are so the Saturday night crowd see it before falling off the edge

More later as it progresses.

regards John 

piermaster likes this

Hi John,

This is a good start to your work bench thread.

I don't blame Nikky watching you, it's either because she doesn't want see you injured, or she wants to join you at your workbench!

Keep up the good work!

Dave

Hi Dave

Thanks for the kind words

Nicky does take a mild interest in the trains so its probably both.:D

regards John

Hi all

Well I got a bit more done last night and today the edging is now on three sides

DSC00296.thumb.JPG.5c7f2f6dc759cefd0982d

So coming along nicely the left end will need a bit of a trim or file or something later when the glue has dried properly

You can see in this shot a lot clearer the stones are not necessarily square and true I thought this was important to the finish

of the platform.

Any one know where I can get an OO lawn mower that might make a nice finishing touch to the scene.

regards John

Hi all

Well the platform is now finished and I am unsure about putting a building on it I have the Bachmann narrow gauge halt

But I don't know??

DSC00297.thumb.JPG.4f2f3878354eedaa4e375

DSC00298.thumb.JPG.47a8e8527b6f233247508

The stone colours don't match for a start.

Any way the platform has to be stuck to a base and the hedge to go at the back of the platform stuck on etc.

Remember this is a mini scene type thing.

The building is my idea, the two I took inspiration from to have a go don't have a building just a name board.

Some one I know thought the building reminded them of a tool shed a tool shed is twice the size of that building.

regards John

Hi all

Very little has happened apart from getting platform up to what looks like the right height.

I have pulled the put the Hedge in a safe place trick so safe I can't find it at the moment same with the mile post numbers

The mile post is going to go on the wider LH side like I said a mini scene type of thing.

Might have to look for a pre marked mile post if I have one.

regards John

For some reason this was stuck in the forum memory rather than posted so now posted

Edited by buz

Hi all

On from the last post.

Well found a mile post an odd "T" scale tree and last time I was in Perth bought a large tree.

Having now got a full set of glasses it is onward

DSC00301 (1).JPG

We have a base that's got it up to the right height the little "T" scale tree and the base of a large wood land scenic tree.

The pencil line is roughly where I hope to put the hedge if I ever find it

The place doesn't have a name yet the name I thought I had I can't find on file, but I can tell you its at the 5&1/4 mile peg.

Unfortunately the other mile pegs in the pack all give the same mileage so are going to be useless for anything that eventually relates to this little project.

Will have to see what names I have and choose one and find the Wills name board that's the one the names where done to fit.

The platform isn't quite square so its going to be fun trying to get rid of the white stone tops they are not even visible to the naked eye

and did not show up until the picture was taken.

regards John

Hi all

Well that's hidden the white line a cut down "T" scale tree.

DSC00303 (1).JPG

I was sane until I started on the daisies these things are tiny I even gave them a yellow centre not that is shows well

DSC00302 (1).JPG

will look a whole lot better when the glue dries.

It's starting to look rather good well at least I think so Noch eat your heart out :D

regards John

Edited by buz

Hi class66

Thanks for the kind words.

I will have to build a narrow gauge railway to go with it :D

regards John

class66 likes this

Hi all

Well a friend pointed out that the step up to the platform was a bit big so a step was made

Using the same rough house methods as the edging and a bit of a path way done.

This means no hedge at the back as it was supposed to go right across the back of the station.

DSC00306 (1).JPG

Also a platform seat has been added and a bin a red seat was chosen as the  green one seemed a bit to much in the way of green

and sort of disappeared into the back ground.

DSC00305 (1).JPG

Just needs the platform fence and station name board now but will have to order those when I sort out which ones to go with.

And the last small patch of greenery to be filled in after the above are fitted.

regards John

Hi all

Well being unable at present to finish the station thought I would start on a line side hut that I can finish.

I started by going mad with black paint on the inside of the walls, and on the inside and out side of the roof

There are no instructions with the kit its self and I am not looking for the magazine it came with just to get them not for a simple kit like this one.

Wanted magazines and the paint shop just don't mix.

DSC00304 (1).JPG

By blacking the inside I can light the finished hut if I want to, and if there is to be no interior detail it is also a good idea to paint the inside black

regardless of if you are lighting it or not.

regards John

Edited by buz
Chris likes this

Hi Chris

Thanks for your kind words.

Just remember to make it something that can be used on any layout you would choose to build.

A line side hut generally fits the bill most layouts have at least one.

I will admit the price of the hut helped a lotlol:D

regards John

Edited by buz

Hi all

Well on with the build or should that be painting.

The walls where painted Scorched Brown then dry brushed with Bestial Brown.

DSC00307 (1).JPG

DSC00309 (1).JPG

The window ledge door and window frame where painted a random mix of white scar and Adiministratum Grey them lightly dusted with Bestial Brown

in the hope of producing a dirty faded look not sure I got it.

The roof was dry brushed with Dawn Stone with out cleaning off the brown in the hope again of producing a dirty look it was then dry brushed with Administratum grey.

I think its worked will know for sure tomorrow when its dry properly

DSC00308 (1).JPG

Oh and shock horror!! the first two bits are glued together the smoke stack that will be redone black I found a mould line that just had to go then Bolt Gun Metal then Tin Bitz for the old look.

I hope my new magnetic corner clamps are not to big to at least get some use on this kit so I can find out if they are any good.

I know I am doing what seems like a lot of stuffing around with paint but that will pay dividends when the kit is finished.

And some of the detail that would not show with just a plain old paint job does show.

Also it some times pays to get as much of the painting done before the kit goes together, and some parts can't be got at or the techniques may ruin another part of the kit.

The odd paint names well they are citadel paints and they have weird names and match the games workshop gaming miniatures. 

regards John

Edited by buz

Hi all

With the wall bases painted Komando Khaki once that's dry it will be time to assemble the walls.

As the base stone work is going to have to be completed with the walls together because of the need for it to seamlessly go round corners.

You will notice the rough Chainmail splodgie bit on the underside of the roof, that is a crude light reflector in case I decide to light it up,

as it is such a small structure the lighting options are one only to use a yellow LED with associated resistor.

That makes some sort of reflector a must as LED light tends to be very mono directional so hopefully that's enough to throw light around a bit.

What spend $3.00 ( that's approx. one pound fifty to you lot ) or there about's on a free kit!!?? you are jokinglol:D

DSC00310 (1).JPG

regards John

Hi all

Well I guess now it's technically a kit bash :confused:.

note the removal of some of the paint to make sure the parts stick together.

The magnet clamps are just a little big I could only put the side and back walls together with them the corner reinforcement got in the way for the front so that had to be done the hard way.

The kit walls are like the wills ones very thin so I stuck some wills corners inside as it was assembled, to give the hut some strength.

The stone work just needs some dry brushing in Administratum Grey then the door can go in and the last bits on the kit done.

DSC00312 (1).JPG

Regards John

Edited by buz

Hi all

Well could not do much today so finished the stone work re-blacked out the inside again and got the door stuck in.

Hopefully It is starting to get an understated but none the less uncared for look as that's what I am trying for.

DSC00314 (1).JPG

Has any one got any bright ideas on how to get window plastic to look dirty??.

regards John

class66 likes this

Buzz,

Try using a smear of betadine mixed with wood glue, all is needed is a dab of the betadine mix with a cotton bud on the glass, the wood glue helps the adhesion to the glass.

Once dried it will look dirty and you can give it a 2nd coat as well,

Cheers,

Stretch

Hi Stretch

Not a combination I would have thought of.

I take it you mean the tube Betadine not the stuff in the bottle?? will do a test piece and let you know how it works.

At least it will be sterile dirt :D.

regards John

On ‎14‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 0:24 PM, stretch said:

Buzz,

Try using a smear of betadine mixed with wood glue, all is needed is a dab of the betadine mix with a cotton bud on the glass, the wood glue helps the adhesion to the glass.

Once dried it will look dirty and you can give it a 2nd coat as well,

Cheers,

Stretch

Hi all

Stretch and I had a discussion about this on the land line the night this was posted.

He did mean the bottled liquid.

After that conversation we came up with Citadel flesh wash (similar colouration and I have some) mixed two water to one wash.

You put a drip of PVA on a mixing plate add one drip of the wash mix it up with a match.

Apply to the window in down ward strokes with cotton bud.

Well I tried it and it works but it doesn't show particularly well against the black background on this small hut kit.

I would imagine it would look very good on large factory windows where it would show up well because of more natural light

regards John.

Hi class66 

Thanks for the kind words.

If it manages to help just one person then that's job done.

Any way off to Jaycar tomorrow I think I will spend that $3.00 on a diode and resistor might just as well do the job properly :D

regards John

Edited by buz

Hi all

Well after wasting time with an aborted trip to Perth plane I was supposed to be on could not land due to weather conditions.

And a shopping trip to get a 3mm water clear and suitable resistor ( for 16v ) from the local Jaycar agent it's back to it

The window is in and looks suitably grotty. 

After a bit of thought the base has been made with a tube to act as a wire conduit and LED support.

So tomorrow get the LED soldered up heat shrunk tube etc. and tested.

Will have to find the third hand I don't have asbestos fingers any more and the third hand will act as a heat sink protecting the diode.

DSC00316 (1).JPG

DSC00317 (1).JPG

Will have more painting to do on the base and gutter and down pipe haven't done them yet.

Now having a base made from Wills York stone paving as well as the corners it must now technically be a kit bash lol:) (:.

regards John

Edited by buz

Hi all

Well operation Overkill is completed, it is only a track side hut after all, this one is defiantly foreground material with the effort going into it.

"LUMOS" waves magic wand:D

DSC00318 (1).JPG

Rain put pay to painting and gluing I don't have all day to watch it dry oh so sloooooowly so got the LED installed and tested.

I had hoped to have it all done today but that was not to be.

Yes those are medical sample jars repurposed as Johns paint concoction jars.

At only a dollar something each from the chemist why would you not use them to mix your own paint brews in.

regards John

Hi all

Well we are nearly there.

Just the gutter and down pipe to do I can't help thinking it needs another detail added as well as of the already  mentioned gutter and down pipe.

Any thoughts anyone.

DSC00321 (1).JPG

I did not like the smoke stack with the kit it looked more like an industrial vent to me so have fitted a US made KitBits Soo Line caboose smoke stack.

Which looks a whole lot better on a small hut like this the stack is more in proportion to what I would expect.

Hopefully it looks like a slightly understated but somewhat uncared for track side hut.

Unfortunately I could not get a good picture of the door end showing the pleasing way the light comes out from under the door.

OI TURN THAT LIGHT OUT!! lol :D

regards John

DSC00326 (1).JPG

Hi All

Not a very good picture but after an eternity have finally started to add smaller details.

Still, a few to go but the smaller bits seem to be getting hard to get.

so far only a Langly coal bunker and a Keroby (Aus brand HO scale) shovel.

Still, have to get out the 10/0 brush and do a bit of a touch-up on the paint.

regards John