StaffsRail

Aberforth

67 posts in this topic

Had nice catch up here,very nice modelling.

wil follow this now.

thanks neil...

Business Unveiling #1

31.01.17.JPG

Apart from a bit more signage to add and putting something inside the windows so it doesn't look empty, the office & warehouse is finished. Cambrian Tyres are a real life business in Aberystwyth and are the UK importers of Continental bicycle and motorbike tyres.

class66, Jack, Chris and 1 other like this

The short extension to complete the fiddle yard is now in place allowing me to assess what trains can be fitted in. From left to right we have:

1) Class 67/Mk3/DVT set

2) Autoballaster rake of 5 (I have a Network Rail Class 57 for this)

3) Other freight train to be decided - more on that below

4) Network Rail test train

5) 150 & 153 DMU's

6) 158 DMU

07.02.17.JPG

My original plan for the other freight train was to have a log train running from a loading point up the Welsh coast to Chirk having run around in Aberforth. Because of the loop in the station it would be limited to 7, or 8 at a push, OTA wagons. I am now thinking that isn't really long enough to be convincing plus the OTA's don't fit into the modern era so I'm considering an alternative. The obvious option would be another engineers train of some sort or for something a bit different a 5/6 rake set of silver bullets delivering china clay slurry to a paper factory located near to Aberforth with a run-round required in the station. Any other suggestions welcome!

47832 and Jack like this

Just been looking through the most recent Oxford Diecast announcements and spotted the warwell wagons which got me thinking about an MOD train for the layout running to a training area on the Welsh coast.

I have been doing some research into the MOD trains this week and I may well go for one of these as it would be a bit different, would suit the running schedule I have in mind and look different when loaded and empty.

For those who are interested and want a bit of an overview of these trains all of the armies vehicles are stored at Ashchurch (near Tewkesbury) in humidity controlled warehouses when not being used. Lengthy trains run between there and Southampton for transfer to/from ships whilst shorter rakes take vehicles out to the training areas dotted around the country such as Castlemartin (Pembroke) and Salisbury Plain. The Challenger tanks and trucks etc go by road due to their size but anything from a Warrior downwards can go by rail using KWA Warwell and KFA Warflat wagons although OCA's can also appear. These rakes always seem to be accompanied by a single VGA van wagon and container flats can also crop up.

The KWA's are going to be released by Oxford Diecast, KFA's are available from Genesis Kits whilst the OCA's and VGA's have already been produced by Bachmann. I just need to work out how many wagons will fit into the run-around loop to see how army vehicles could be transported.

class66 and samw like this

I've managed to find out the length of a KWA and reckon that the KFA is similar so scaling it down I should be able to fit 6 wagons plus a VGA onto the layout. This would allow between 6 to 12 vehicles to be carried depending on the combination of wagons used.

I also spotted that Hattons are releasing the Warwells, one of which if definatley correct for modern trains plus I have found a shop producing 1/72 resin models of British Army vehicles: http://sandsmodelsshop.com/product-category/post-war-modern-vehicles/20mm-172-post-war-british-vehicles/

class66 likes this

I've decided to go ahead with the MOD train and the first two vehicles plus a wagon to carry them in is on the way to me.

Posted (edited)

I have now decided on the other vehicles/wagons to make up the MOD rake. Military models tend to be 1/72 scale for some reason so some vehicles that would normally fit are too wide in model form. My initial idea was to go for a set of CVRT series tracked vehicles but I decided I can't be bothered to assemble 6 of the Genesis Models Warflats at the moment so are going for the easy and cheap option of OCA wagons, which has led me to decide on having the Ivevo Panther CLV vehicles (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iveco_LMV), produced by S&S models. Here are the first two pictured accompanying the Land Rovers with the intention of having another 8. I will put some more info on my workbench about them.

31.05.17 #5.jpg

Edited by StaffsRail
Jack and Chris like this

They look rather splendid! Will you be repainting the wagons or leaving them in EWS?

Posted (edited)

A short video of the MOD train featuring the freshly released Hattons Warwell loaded with a just built Airfix Scimitar.

Edited by StaffsRail
Video Link Not Working

A bit of an update on what has been happening the last few months:

The platforms were finished and screwed down into place and the fencing is in progress.

Some more kerbs and grass has been laid at the end of the car park (not on photo).

Made a start on installing the point motors, after which the track will be ballasted.

13.11.17 #3.JPG 

Jack likes this

Looking really good Staffs. Amazing what a bit of detailing can do to a layout.

Just been catching up on the thread. Love the progress so far, such nice variety for such a simple layout! Love it.