StaffsRail

Aberforth

77 posts in this topic

Off work for a couple of weeks so had a good stint on the layout sorting out the road bridge.

27.06.16 - Start Of Bridge.JPG

28.06.16 - Bridge In Place.JPG

And the Network Rail yard.

29.06.16 - NR Yard.JPG

Plus I have been deciding what to put next to the car park.

29.06.16 - Car Park Area.JPG

sarah, 47832, class66 and 2 others like this

Chorrr that's looking grand mate! Keep the work up!

On 01/07/2016 at 5:11 PM, Chris said:

All looking very good. Do I recognise that site office? :-)

Yes it's your former one. Given the Network Rail workers an upgrade of accomodation.

Chris likes this

I have been playing around with the layout of the ambulance station and arrived at this with 4 parking spaces on the right plus 2 for ambulances, another three spaces at the back left corner and a fuel pump behind the building. The area of white paper would be a grass.

Let me know what you think and if there are any alternative suggestions? 

20160710_095224.jpg

Jack and class66 like this

Looks really good that Staffs! Coming along really well :thumbsup:

The one thing I am slightly unsure about is whether the ambulance station is big enough to be realistic as they are usually able to fit all of them inside whereas this only accomodates one.

I've not been able to think of anything better than the ambulance station to fill up this area of the scenery so have decided to ignore the slightly inaccurate size and press on. Just need some kerbs around the edge and fencing fixed in place plus line markings now.

20160722_075614.jpg

Also been working on the footpath along the road, station car park and platforms.20160722_075653.jpg

class66 and Jack like this

If you were unsure about size, what about a fire station? Plenty of small ones about.

Layout is looking good and progressing well. If there is a better livery than the Arriva one, I haven't seen it.

Incidentally, I love the bollard!

I did consider a fire station but to be realistic to the size of the town it would need to be fairly big again like the ambulance station should be. I didn't want anything too big for that area as it would obscure the view of the trains.

I have got another of those bollards somewhere to team up with it.

Chris likes this

Although not the most pressing matter on the layout I decided to sort out a road sign whilst thinking about it.

Let me know how realistic it looks and if there are any errors.

Roundabout Sign.jpg

Looking good mate! There's a load of road sign downloads on my website at jackbowley.wix.com/modelsigns4u

I've decided the layout will be based during the summer of 2014 so I found a couple of timetables on ebay to act as a starting point for a running schedule once the layout reaches the exhibition stage.

Timetables.jpg

Edited by StaffsRail
class66 likes this

I've (probably) changed my mind! The ambulance station has still been bugging me and I found a photo to show how large the real one in Aberystwyth is. While I'm not making a precise model of the town I do like to get the basics right.

29.07.16 - Real Life Ambulance Station.jpg

I could scratch build a larger one of course but that wouldn't fit into the space available so I have managed to come up with a couple of other options. The first option is another off the shelf building:

29.07.16 - Tyre Fitters.jpg

The second option would be scratch built and occupied by a business that exists in real life Aberystwyth. In Blue Peter fashion I have done a quick mock-up using a cereal box of what it would look like and checked there is space for a HGV to do a 3 point turn.

29.07.16 - Mock Up 1.JPG

29.07.16 - Mock Up 2.JPG

29.07.16 - Mock Up 3.JPG

47832, Jack and class66 like this

Regarding the ambulance station - in some locations they sometimes have standby locations, these are small buildings that generally has a crew room and space for one or two trucks outside and maybe a rapid response car (used to have one in Banbury where the main station was out of town 5 minutes away). In other locations the the station maybe be that small, an example is Stratford upon Avon where the ambulance station is on the side of the fire station, if there aren't that many crews out of there.

Just some ideas that you could work in perhaps, a bit of modellers license could easily give you a standby location on the other side of town :)

HTH

Lewis

Screenshot_20160824-002018.png

Philip likes this

I have decided to go for the custom building instead of the ambulance station which has allowed me to finalise the footpath locations and do the road markings.

20160824_171653.jpg

Also made a start on the supermarket behind the station.

20160824_171709.jpg

Jack and Chris like this

Ambulance station was certainly a good idea, was something different!

Look forward to seeing how this goes!

Phil

Looking really good mate! Keep up this excellent work! Certainly turning out to be a brilliant layout!