StaffsRail

Aberforth

67 posts in this topic

Station_Logo.thumb.jpg.a1941506d97795817

Introducing the replacement for Wrexham General – Aberforth Station

As already eluded to, it is going to be a modern image, Welsh themed layout again and is basically my version of the terminus station at Aberystwyth but located further up the coast where Borth is. The two names combined with a change to one of the letters creating the name. For my purposes the line does not split at Dovey Junction, but runs along the southern side of the River Dyfi as in real life to Aberforth. Trains for the Cambrian coast then head back out of the station (having run-around in the case of loco hauled trains) and use a bridge to cross over the estuary and pick up the real route at Aberdovey. As with Aberwysth, my version will be a large, busy seaside town with a University, hospital and the usual array of national retailers etc. The line will however use conventional colour light signalling rather than the ERTMS system currently being trialled – it would be rather boring otherwise!

I chose this scenario to make use of most of my existing rolling stock plus vehicles and because it will allow more operational interest for myself as all of the trains will be stored in the 4/5 track fiddle yard without shunting/splitting needed meaning I can run them into the station and back out easily in sequence with the run-round loop adding further entertainment. Also, as I am planning on building this for exhibitions I thought it would be a bit different given that I don't recall having seen any such themed layouts before.

Arriva Trains Wales will provide all the passenger services as you might expect with DMU's handling most services (although having said that London Midland could potentially appear given that they already go as far as Shrewsbury?) but there will also be a Class 67 hauled Mk3/DVT 'Premier Set' operating between here and Birmingham International calling only at the major stations on route to give a faster journey time and provide extra passenger capacity on this busy route. Having done some research I found that West Coast Railways used to operate a seasonal rail tour up and down the coast so I may well get a steam loco and some maroon Mk1's as well.

Freight will consist of engineers trains heading onto the coast line and at the moment I am planning on a 5 rake set of auto-ballasters hauled by a Class 57 and a short rake of MFA's with an extra wagon of sleepers, possibly with a Class 57 again. To finish off, a Network Rail test train top and tailed by DRS Class 37's. Depending upon what length of wagons can be fitted into the run-round loop I may substitute one of the engineers for a log train running to a loading point up the coast.

Some of you will already have looked at the proposed layout plan but with Wrexham General dismantled I have been able to set out the baseboards on the floor and put some track down to check what will work. Given that it is intended to be portable I decided that 4x2ft scenic boards are the limit for getting them downstairs and out of the house so have shortened the layout down to 8ft long with a halfway split. The fiddle yard will be 8x1ft (it should just get out of the house being narrower and without a backscene) at a 90 degree angle to the scenic section with 4/5 sidings. Due to the curve round to the fiddle yard the station has had to be pushed towards the back of the layout and I have come up with three track variations to pick from:

Option A

Layout_Plan_Option_A.thumb.jpg.2ac83fe4a

This is the original plan but shunting it backwards means that there is less space for the station building/car park and nowhere for a low relief building at the back. On the other hand it does leave a large area at the front for other buildings although they couldn't be too prominent because of obscuring the view. DMU's would be slightly hidden at the back but the run-round loop would be easily visible.

Option B

Layout_Plan_Option_B.thumb.jpg.b257413a6

This has the track and platform switched around making DMU's more visible but the run-round loop, express set and engineers trains would be slightly obscured by the platform and station building. It would give a nearly continuous run across the back for low relief buildings and leave a decent area for the station building/car park at the front though.

Option C

Layout_Plan_Option_C.thumb.jpg.b6b63bbbc

This most closely resembles how the real station used to be before the second platform was removed. It does still have two adjacent lines and run-round provision though. As with Option A the station building and car park is limited for space but some low relief units would be possible. The extra section of short platform would keep the run-round loop fairly visible and there would be decent amount of space left at the front for other scenery. Removing one of the points from next to the signal box will also allow an extra bit of length for run-round trains, which could be the deciding factor. The buffers of locos running around clashing with the platform edge could be an issue and may lead to an overly large gap between the platform edge and passenger trains although this probably wouldn't be too obvious from a viewers perspective.

Let me know which you think is the best option?

sarah likes this

Very much looking forward to this!

I'd personal go for option B. A lot of layouts now a days have trains hiding platforms, and I feel that B would work best and allow for additional detailing.

Very interesting read! Following this!!!

Having done a mock up of the track I have decided to go for Option C but with scenery elements from B, the main reason being it gives the longest possible length of platform/run-round loop for the premier express and freight. I am going to have the station car park at the front though and the station building will either be here or a flat representation against the back scene where the platform link is. This allows for a supermarket at the back with space for a delivery truck and a short section of road may well be added at the front leading to the Network Rail yard.

In terms of progress so far the first scenic baseboard was completed last weekend and I will be getting some more wood for the second board soon.

Layout_Plan_Revised.thumb.jpg.5af56a4b06

Jack and sarah like this

I put the second scenic board together yesterday and will be getting some wood today with the intention of doing the fiddle yard board tomorrow and attaching all three together.

Also made a start on weathering the track.

Jack likes this

I got the fiddle yard board done yesterday and put them all in place on some boxes as a temporary measure. At this stage I was going to crack on with the track etc and think about some proper supports later but have decided it would be worth sorting out now whilst the boards can still be flipped upside down. I'm guessing that it is either a case of making some legs with wood or getting an off the shelf option such as trestles? Any other ideas or experience of this would be appreciated.

17.01.16_-_Baseboards.thumb.JPG.2650669c

Jack likes this

You can get cheap plastic trestles for about £20 a pair that would do for at home if you want them able to fold away. they sit about 80cm high  or if your handy on the tools then build your own to a height that suits you. build 2 'H' frames held together at the top by hinges and then a piece of rope knotted through the two centre bars  to stop them opening too wide. you can move the knots in or out a bit to adjust the spread of the legs and also the height of the tressle

Cheers

Matt

sarah and Jack like this

I'm thinking of a folding table at the moment which are 6ft in length and around 3ft high. The advantage of this would be that the two scenic boards can be lifted onto it and then slid together for connecting as well as spreading the weight better other than a 1ft overhang either end.

Jack likes this

I've been working on the fiddle yard track over the past week and have got four sidings fixed down so far. I am having a think about the operating sequence of the DMU's before deciding how to do the last couple of sidings. The original track plan for this was using short radius points but the running quality wasn't very good so I switched to express points as seen here.

My first auto-ballaster has also arrived which can be seen in the third siding.

30.01.16_-_Fiddle_Yard.thumb.JPG.ee975dd

Jack and sarah like this

Looks really good Staffs. The smaller 2 sidings would suit a 153 each well ;) (;

Forgot to mention I can extend the fiddle yard by another foot once the layout is properly in position so I will make a removable end section to give a bit more siding length.

The backscenes for the middle board are now fixed in place and painted along with the front edge in black.

I should get the other backscenes done this weekend and make a start on fixing the road bridge in place and drilling holes for point motors.

56e17031b1380_10.03.16-Backscene.thumb.J

Both backscenes are now in place and I have put some items and track in place to give an idea of what it is going to look like.

5712822951288_16.04.16-Overview1.thumb.J5712824cb981b_16.04.16-Overview2.thumb.J

Oooh I'm loving how this is coming along! Keep it coming!

That looks fantastic! What chip has it got in it?

I take it you'll be getting the newer livery ATW 153 when Hornby get round to releasing it?

Howes Loksound. I was going to base the layout on the year 2014 and I believe this 153 was yet to be re-painted at that stage.

Jack likes this

Bank holiday engineering works mean that all the track is now fixed in place and operational.

03.05.16 - Completed Track.JPG

Who wants to see a video of the 153 in action?

Jack and 47832 like this

Chorrr that looks good!

Video please!