Toto

Computer Automation and Techy Stuff

14 posts in this topic

Hi,

I don't really see any other section that covers this so unless there is going to be an actual section started for it ( hint hint :D ) I'll kick it off here.

I'm really talking about computer operating systems the likes of RR & Co and JMRI. I am only scraping the surface with both RR & Co ( bronze ) and JMRI. it was only about a year and a half ago after meeting Paul of Victoria Road fame ( an uber geek ) that I refused point blank to be drawn into the black art that is the above as well as ardiunos and all that malarkey ........ big easy drivers and membership to MERG.

I am now just getting my head around some of it ( just a small some of it ) but now find it fascinating. the opportunities are endless. I have adopted various bits of NCE electronics like switch8's and PSX's and will no doubt do more. In fact I have a load of NCE BD20 block detection units to eventually fit to my Rosebuddy thread ( The R & GLR ).

I have bought a dedicated laptop ( no end of grief with pop ups and stuff ) and a nice big colour monitor which shall be mounted in the shed for my mimic panel with possibly a second on the way for other software viewing ( to be decided yet ).

my idea is to get my highbridge ( slightly more low tech system ) up and running and then revisit the R & GLR to kick off phase two which is the upper track levels. before that though the NCE 20 block detection units will need to be installed into my lower level fiddle yard area and other strategic positions on the lower level.

Is there anyone else out there doing or using similar. be careful how you answer ............... if Paul gets wind of this he'll have your ears bleeding in no time.:D

cheers

Toto

I would suggest  under the Model railways Heading you have a      'Computer Control Systems'  heading .             within that you could have  :-  

general                ( general chat on which one anyone uses , considers the best , general Queries )                                                                                

JMRI

RR & Co

You could also include Headings for                                   

Merg

Arduino

Raspberry Pi       ( and any other headings you think would be useful )

As Tom said  Paul is our go to man for all things Electronic and I'm sure he will have some valuable input to this area

Just my Tuppence worth

Cheers

Matt

Edited by mattc6911
Tidied it up Jack

Thanks both. Matt, your post seems to be all disorganised and text everywhere. Not sure if it looks like that at your end?

Cranwell Man likes this

Jack  all disorganised and all over the place ?  sounds just like me ! . was done on the nexus 7 , trying different browsers out at some have issues with different sites, so looks like that one is out , but chrome seams OK. mind you I've not tried uploading Photos yet . No issues with Firebox on the laptop but it seams to be having random  issues on the nexus once I've put in an emoticon   :wacko:

Cheers

Matt

Edited by mattc6911

I see there is another thread with some suggestions by Tom and Paul and they know much more about this stuff than me lol so ill bow out and leave em to it

Cheers

Matt

Hi Matt,

that was me that moved the subject into questions in order to find out if we could have it added. Just seemed like the correct place to put it to catch the admins attention. 

I'm still trying to get used to where things should go on the forum. May take a while yet.

however, all suggestions are good. They may help add / define the logic of the actual hierarchy of the sub forum itself and how the subject should be set out or ease of recognition and use.

crack on

toto

Hi Guys

Maybe a section on Layout Control, with sub-sections on DC, DCC, Computer Control & Automation, and Electronics.

Then maybe within the DCC could be Manufacturers, Tutorials, Sound

Paul

Yeah,

that was what I was trying to get to. Maybe see if we can get that on the go. 

Hi Jack,

thanks for that. Apologies about the two similar threads being created.

thanks for accommodating.

toto

Hi Jack,

anymore news on the above. I think Pauls suggestion gets my vote. seems to be a bit of logic in there .......... some where.:) (:

cheers

Toto

Apologies ......... Just noticed it had been implemented. .......... Must be an age thing.:blush:

many thanks Jack

toto

Hey guys,

Well yea a year or two ago i did some things on computer control, but from quite a basic level:

Simple DCC Controller with Arduino
http://mrlforum.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/3008-dcc-on-a-budget-dcc-pc-arduino-l298n/#comment-145593

My layout (Windward) got some Arduino automation
http://mrlforum.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/1777-windward-control-panel/#comment-128733

My purpose built layout to fiddle with the Electronics (including videos)
http://mrlforum.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/2062-kinord/&page=3

As i said, built the graphics from scratch and coded it all, so not much experience in what commercial products there in use currently, but a cheap step in the right direction.

Toto likes this