Jaz

A new Home for Arboretum Valley

224 posts in this topic

Nice video, land rover looks realistic after your work. Like the idea of experimenting with real mud to check effects!

Edited by DunravenCastle4092
Typo
Jaz and class66 like this

Starting a new station, Sheffield Park, the buildings are bought ready to plonk resin, not scratch built, but they are rather fine buildings 1764,1766, 767 A long way to go, a quick tester, the car park is a simple finish, so I should soon be onto the platforms, tracks and trains

IMG_1764 (1).jpg

IMG_1766 (1).jpg

IMG_1767 (1).jpg

class66 likes this

Hi Jaz.

Though it has been some time since I was at Sheffield Park, the pics brought back memories!

One thing that I don't think has changed, is that the frontage of the station is normally closed to all traffic, except for "appropriate" vintage and classic vehicles.

http://www.derekhayward.co.uk/BluebellRailway-1/Photographic-Tours/Sheffield-Park-Station/

The main car park being down at the bottom of the station approach, alongside the "main" road from Chailey cross roads (where I used to have to get the bus to and from, and then walk!) to the Sheffield Park Gardens, etc.

On occasions, the person making up the roster of staff would make an "error", and have the person on the ticket barrier to swap places with the person on the car park (collecting parking fees...).

Both positions could not be left un-atended... so who leaves first?

I remember being stuck on the car park for ages, before the ticket collector managed to get someone to take over for them, so they could walk down to the car park and relieve me! ;)

Interestingly, the buildings at most of the stations from East Grinstead to Barcome were of the same design... even Horstead Keynes main building...

It was very weird to walk around the semi-derelict buildings at Barcombe, after knowing Sheffield Park so well...the layout was virtually identical. Only Barcome was a single platform, with no loop!

If I had had a camera, and a mock up dererict "Sheffield Park" name-board, it would shew what could have happened had the Preservation Society not succeeded... at least in getting the original 5 miles from SP to HK! :o

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/b/barcombe/

http://www.derekhayward.co.uk/BluebellRailway-1

http://www.derekhayward.co.uk/BluebellRailway-1/Photographic-Tours/Barcome-Station/

Jaz likes this

17 hours ago, sarah said:

Hi Jaz.

Though it has been some time since I was at Sheffield Park, the pics brought back memories!

One thing that I don't think has changed, is that the frontage of the station is normally closed to all traffic, except for "appropriate" vintage and classic vehicles.

http://www.derekhayward.co.uk/BluebellRailway-1/Photographic-Tours/Sheffield-Park-Station/

The main car park being down at the bottom of the station approach, alongside the "main" road from Chailey cross roads (where I used to have to get the bus to and from, and then walk!) to the Sheffield Park Gardens, etc.

On occasions, the person making up the roster of staff would make an "error", and have the person on the ticket barrier to swap places with the person on the car park (collecting parking fees...).

Both positions could not be left un-atended... so who leaves first?

I remember being stuck on the car park for ages, before the ticket collector managed to get someone to take over for them, so they could walk down to the car park and relieve me! ;)

Interestingly, the buildings at most of the stations from East Grinstead to Barcome were of the same design... even Horstead Keynes main building...

It was very weird to walk around the semi-derelict buildings at Barcombe, after knowing Sheffield Park so well...the layout was virtually identical. Only Barcome was a single platform, with no loop!

If I had had a camera, and a mock up dererict "Sheffield Park" name-board, it would shew what could have happened had the Preservation Society not succeeded... at least in getting the original 5 miles from SP to HK! :o

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/b/barcombe/

http://www.derekhayward.co.uk/BluebellRailway-1

http://www.derekhayward.co.uk/BluebellRailway-1/Photographic-Tours/Barcome-Station/

thank you for the links :) I will check them out

Thanks Neil :)

Here's a little one for you... everyone loves a burger van in a lay by, smell those onions draw you in... mmmmm... and here's a little thief hopping to find a tit bit, per in the bin bags :D

IMG_2008.jpg

Very nice "scene" above Jaz!!

You always set very high standard for us to follow:cheers:

cheers neil.

Jaz likes this

Good as always, that rusty beetle is superb!  The river bank with the canada geese (dark necks) and the fox looks very realistic, with the abandoned vw camper actually reflected in the water... clever photography to capture that.

Very inspiring!

sarah and Jaz like this

Hi Jaz

Sorry to rain on your parade but Umm the tombstones look placed on rather than planted in the cemetery.

The stones should have been placed first then flocked after the photo shows some pretty horrible gaps under some of the stones the flock would have hidden that.

We can't have the residents leaving that would cause havoc.

The ones with the bulky bases should have a small excavation to put the base in so it can be hidden.

If you have any the GW undead tombstones they could possibly be useful for the older part of the cemetery.

What brand or brands of tombstone have you used?

The odd marbled one would add to the scene I think.

regards John

Edited by buz
Jaz likes this

2810 the textured wall, poster with tyre pressures and the gas bottle all look very realistic. (Plus weathered trailer!) What's the motor bike?

2780 The sheep walking down the road is great - very Yorkshire. :-)

imho, I think the cemetery works with the uneven gravestones, particularly the standing ones towards the back. Our local churchyard    suffers from subsidence in places and there is a tendency for headstones to tilt and have to be put upright again. That's just the more recent ones...   so your pic looks familiar... Also the lichen on the old headstones looks spot on.

Also looking at 2259 again, the abandoned VW type 2 camper with the fox. It would be interesting to know how you arranged the lighting  for the pic, it's very good.

Further edit: just seen your very professional youtube videos on how you weathered the beetle and camper, and some of your photography tips so that's answered my question!  Wiping "water" with a wet sponge prior to photographing it is a good wheeze!

Edited by DunravenCastle4092
sarah and Jaz like this

On 10/23/2016 at 10:29 PM, DunravenCastle4092 said:

2810 the textured wall, poster with tyre pressures and the gas bottle all look very realistic. (Plus weathered trailer!) What's the motor bike?

2780 The sheep walking down the road is great - very Yorkshire. :-)

imho, I think the cemetery works with the uneven gravestones, particularly the standing ones towards the back. Our local churchyard    suffers from subsidence in places and there is a tendency for headstones to tilt and have to be put upright again. That's just the more recent ones...   so your pic looks familiar... Also the lichen on the old headstones looks spot on.

Also looking at 2259 again, the abandoned VW type 2 camper with the fox. It would be interesting to know how you arranged the lighting  for the pic, it's very good.

Further edit: just seen your very professional youtube videos on how you weathered the beetle and camper, and some of your photography tips so that's answered my question!  Wiping "water" with a wet sponge prior to photographing it is a good wheeze!

Glad you found the you Tube, most of my energies now days is on my Facebook Group. I share my build along with like minded people.365 members in just under a year :) Model Railway Discussion Group.
FYI The gravestones are still not in a final pot, when that occurs they will get embedded. I need more crosses on plinths, I may end up making them, and once i have the conifer shapes then i will redo the area to more reflect the real Goathland. At the moment I am doing a small graveyard for vehicles, and a track and an old 0-4-0 will be set i the same area.
rustyVWBeetle

IMG_3328.jpg

IMG_3322.jpg

IMG_3312.jpg

IMG_3293.jpg

IMG_3288.jpg

IMG_3284.jpg

IMG_3283 (1).jpg

IMG_3282.jpg

IMG_3281.jpg

IMG_3280.jpg

IMG_3279.jpg

On 10/19/2016 at 1:04 PM, buz said:

Hi Jaz

Sorry to rain on your parade but Umm the tombstones look placed on rather than planted in the cemetery.

The stones should have been placed first then flocked after the photo shows some pretty horrible gaps under some of the stones the flock would have hidden that.

We can't have the residents leaving that would cause havoc.

The ones with the bulky bases should have a small excavation to put the base in so it can be hidden.

If you have any the GW undead tombstones they could possibly be useful for the older part of the cemetery.

What brand or brands of tombstone have you used?

The odd marbled one would add to the scene I think.

regards John

I did put a black marble headstone on but it kept standing out like a sore thumb, poor thing has been relegated to the side.

Who are GW? I would be interested in looking :D

Next job, age  a poor defenceless 0-4-0 :D 

Hi Jaz

GW Games Workshop the stones usually come with the Warhammer undead fantasy regiments.

If you can't lay your hands on any. I will have a look and see if I have some spares.

They have a really "Ye olde"  look about them.

But be warned they do have some fine details in them that benefit from being washed as well as painted they also look good carefully filed so they sit at a slight but noticeable angle.they will need to be well glued down after filing

regards John 

Jaz likes this

DSC00325 (1).JPG

Hi Jaz

Don't know how well the picture will show the detail.

The two on the right are games workshop tombstones and look a lot like headstones from the 1700's possibly even earlier.

All very gothic as they are for the toy soldiers I hope the bodies where beheaded and buried with a garlic bulb in the mouth

or my vampire general will be recruiting more troops.

They might benefit from a little bit of thining down for model railway use.

But that won't be hard just rub the back down in a figure of 8 pattern on sand paper until happy with thickness.

If you know any Warhammer undead players at home you might be able scrounge some if not PM me and I will see if I can find the few spares

I have.

regards John

Jaz likes this

20 hours ago, buz said:

DSC00325 (1).JPG

Hi Jaz

Don't know how well the picture will show the detail.

The two on the right are games workshop tombstones and look a lot like headstones from the 1700's possibly even earlier.

All very gothic as they are for the toy soldiers I hope the bodies where beheaded and buried with a garlic bulb in the mouth

or my vampire general will be recruiting more troops.

They might benefit from a little bit of thining down for model railway use.

But that won't be hard just rub the back down in a figure of 8 pattern on sand paper until happy with thickness.

If you know any Warhammer undead players at home you might be able scrounge some if not PM me and I will see if I can find the few spares

I have.

regards John

Your right they look good, shall check them out, thanks for the tip.

IMG_3439.jpg

IMG_3407.jpg

IMG_3352.jpg

sarah likes this

Hi Jaz

Sacrilege to do that to a Nellie?? but it does look very good.and very well done

I see our little furry friend is a VW and Train enthusiast as well as a burger and black rubbish bag lover:D:thumbsup:

Just don't let Him / Her? near The Tube.

I think you might have to start fining the locals for illegal dumping of rubbish

regards John

This "Nellie" was one of the last... the "Somerset & Dorset" blue livery one...

The blue looks very well faded, and the number on the tank sides is just fading away... looks rather good!

Edited by sarah
Jaz likes this